PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this jersey???

xpress34
02-21-2010, 02:36 PM
1978 -1981 Mets Road Pullover Style (matched style through the HOFs 'dressed to the nines' uniform database)

Looks like a Goodman and Sons neck tag - waiting for more info from the owner - and as far as I know, Goodman never made 'store models', just professional unis.

The 8 matches up with Dan Norman who played for the Mets from '77(?) to '80.

Owner is asking $75. I'm not a Mets fan, but love Goodman jerseys and just another piece you don't see too often.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/MetsJsy.jpg

This is the pic the owner sent me. Just looking for thoughts - or possible interest.

- Chris

both-teams-played-hard
02-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Checked the "dressed to the nines" section. Still never seen a Mets jersey like that. Wrong colors, no trim.

both-teams-played-hard
02-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Also, Goodman made retail Dodgers jerseys.

xpress34
02-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Checked the "dressed to the nines" section. Still never seen a Mets jersey like that. Wrong colors, no trim.

BTPH -

Bad resolution on the computer I was on - just rechecked... missed the trim.

Cap -

Didn't realize Goodman made 'retail' for the Dodgers, but makes sense being CA based and all.

Any chance you might give me your insight on the Williams/Yawkey Ball i listed in the autos section? I responded to your comment - I didn't intend to insult anyone by simply putting Sammy's name. Is there a rift between you two? I kind of gathered that by another comment someone else made there. I'm just wanting info on the ball.

Thanks!

- Chris

xpress34
02-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Sorry BTPH - for some reason I thought Capital Sports had posted on here... I really need to wake up this morning!!!

- Chris

xpress34
02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
BTPH -

Here's wht I just got back from the seller:

Its a size 40. Number in back is a larger blue 8. Label is McGoodman & Sons. Its the real deal.

So, what do you make of it? Other than the trim, the only Mets style it matches is the 78-81 pullovers. A 'retail' Mets jersey?

Thanks for the other info!

All the best -

Chris

both-teams-played-hard
02-21-2010, 03:48 PM
It may be a minor league or industrial league or some sort of junior league. Regardless of the unfamiliar style, the colors were never worn by the New York Mets.

dcrules01
02-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Mets used this home from 78-82 and this road 78-81...I have never seen a Mets jersey that looked like that. Who is the seller if you do not mind me asking because there was a seller that had a quote Keith Hernandez gamer on ebay that came from the locker room.Only problem was the jersey looked like it was pieced together like this one..Here are pics of my Orosco home and my Zachary road..
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/orosco001.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/orosco002.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/dw001-1.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/dw002.jpg

xpress34
02-21-2010, 05:05 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/dw001-1.jpg

DC and BTPH -

Looks closer to the Road Grey above - but no orange trim. I learned something new about Goodman & Sons today! I have a Goodman Yankees (No name or numbers) that I bought a while back for like $10. Just a cool looking jersey:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/YanksJsy1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/YanksJsy2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/YanksJsy5.jpg

DC, the seller is just a local guy on Craigslist. Not someone from here or eBay trying to get over on anyone.

All the best -

Chris

dcrules01
02-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Rawlings did the 78-82 Mets gamers...Goodman and Sons I believe was 76-77 road and the 86 road and home. They also manufactured jerseys for the Astros,Dodgers and Angels. Look them up on the board there is a great thread..

LastingsMilledge85
02-21-2010, 05:51 PM
It looks like a mix between a Mets and Dodgers jersey, something the Wilpons would have thought of. :D

sox83cubs84
02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Rawlings did the 78-82 Mets gamers...Goodman and Sons I believe was 76-77 road and the 86 road and home. They also manufactured jerseys for the Astros,Dodgers and Angels. Look them up on the board there is a great thread..

Scott:

All of the above regarding Goodman is accurate. They also made isolated years/styles of a handful of teams, such as Texas Rangers 1976 road and Seattle Mariners 1977 home (spring and regular season).

Dave M.
Chicago area

TNTtoys
02-22-2010, 05:32 PM
BTPH -

So, what do you make of it? Other than the trim, the only Mets style it matches is the 78-81 pullovers. A 'retail' Mets jersey?

Thanks for the other info!

All the best -

Chris

Chris,

This jersey does not look a thing like the Mets 78-82 pullovers, or anything the Mets have ever worn on field for that matter.

Scott (dcrules) posted an example of the home and road jerseys from 78-82 and yours looks nothing like either of them.

Furthermore, I do not believe that any of the Mets minor league affiliates have ever worn something that looks like this either.

The seller probably has the jersey of some amateur team.

The "real deal" (as he put it) it is not.

Nick

xpress34
02-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Scott:

All of the above regarding Goodman is accurate. They also made isolated years/styles of a handful of teams, such as Texas Rangers 1976 road and Seattle Mariners 1977 home (spring and regular season).

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave -

Thanks for the update. I never knew the Rangers used Goodman jerseys (I grew up in Dallas) as a team at any point.

My introduction to Goodman's was as a Nolan Ryan Collector. I do know that when Nolan joined the Angels he started wearing Goodman's exclusively for his Game Day jerseys.

If you scour through pictures of him pitching in OFFICIAL (not Spring Training / Exhibition Games) MLB games since he joined the Angels, you will notice there are no Wilson, Rawlings, Russell, etc labeling on his jersey sleeves.

There are some Rangers pics of him pitching in his home white where you can see the Rawlings name or the Russell R on the sleeve, but if you look in the back ground, you will see Palm Trees. Obviously at Port Charlotte, FL during ST as Arlington Stadium never had any Pal Trees in the background, just blue padding!

I would LOVE to own one of Nolan's Final Season (1993) Goodman's. He had them make him 36 (estimating 30 something starts) - 18 Home and 18 Road and they are each hand numbered in the tail tagging. Even if it was 18/18 and 'Game Issued' (since his Final Season ended early due to injury) I wouldn't care.

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
02-23-2010, 02:41 AM
Chris,

This jersey does not look a thing like the Mets 78-82 pullovers, or anything the Mets have ever worn on field for that matter.

Scott (dcrules) posted an example of the home and road jerseys from 78-82 and yours looks nothing like either of them.

Furthermore, I do not believe that any of the Mets minor league affiliates have ever worn something that looks like this either.

The seller probably has the jersey of some amateur team.

The "real deal" (as he put it) it is not.

Nick

Nick -

Not an argument, just a comment. All I said was it was similar in style - which it is, a 1-2 button grey pullover.

2nd, it's not mine - that's why I asked for thoughts. I wrote the guy back with the findings here and he wrote me back with:

Sorry- it's all news to me. I'm not a collector.

Which I found humorous after his post about it being the 'Real Deal'.

So do any of you have any thoughts about my Yankees jersey (which IS mine) or info on Goodman's dealings with the Yankees? Game Jerseys? Retail? etc.

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
02-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Nick -

One other thing... the reason I was asking about the 'Mets' jersey possibly being RETAIL is because I was wondering if Goodman did any 'retail' jerseys that were not 'spec' (trim, etc) much like Majestic makes 'retail' jerseys today that are not 'spec' to team jerseys - i.e. NO color edge on names and numbers, etc.

I wasn't sure if Goodman's was involved in that type of practice or not.

For example... here is my GU 1997 Larry Walker Jersey

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/Walker972.jpg

And this is a Majestic 'retail' (not mine) from the same time period:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/walkerjersey.jpg

Looks nothing like mine as far as numbering/lettering colors, but it IS still a Rockies 'retail' jersey.

All the best -

Chris

TNTtoys
02-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Nick -

One other thing... the reason I was asking about the 'Mets' jersey possibly being RETAIL is because I was wondering if Goodman did any 'retail' jerseys that were not 'spec' (trim, etc) much like Majestic makes 'retail' jerseys today that are not 'spec' to team jerseys - i.e. NO color edge on names and numbers, etc.

I wasn't sure if Goodman's was involved in that type of practice or not.

For example... here is my GU 1997 Larry Walker Jersey

And this is a Majestic 'retail' (not mine) from the same time period:

Looks nothing like mine as far as numbering/lettering colors, but it IS still a Rockies 'retail' jersey.

All the best -

Chris

Chris,

I was not referring to retail lettering, which is an entirely different animal altogether.

The "Mets" logo itself was nothing that I have ever seen on any professional (major league, minor league) jersey. The rest of the characteristics of the jersey were just icing on the cake.

Nick

BULBUS
02-23-2010, 09:25 AM
So do any of you have any thoughts about my Yankees jersey (which IS mine) or info on Goodman's dealings with the Yankees? Game Jerseys? Retail? etc.

The interlocking NY is not the Yankees NY. Looks like something used in a baseball movie where they didnt have permission to use the Yankees logo.

-Chris

dcrules01
02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Xpress the Majestic you have is a replica that is why the lettering is different. You can get a Walker Russell customized with the patch by EPS. BTW sweet jersey I have often thought about buying every mlb team from the 97 season with the Jackie patch..But I have to save my money :D

xpress34
02-23-2010, 04:28 PM
The interlocking NY is not the Yankees NY. Looks like something used in a baseball movie where they didnt have permission to use the Yankees logo.

-Chris

Like I said, I only have $10 into it, but it is better quality than many GU jerseys I've owned over the years.

I'd actually find that kind of cool if I could connect it to a movie... ;)

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Xpress the Majestic you have is a replica that is why the lettering is different. You can get a Walker Russell customized with the patch by EPS. BTW sweet jersey I have often thought about buying every mlb team from the 97 season with the Jackie patch..But I have to save my money :D

DC -

The Majestic isn't mine - just a sample I was using as to how different some Replica jerseys are from the real deal depending on the manufacturer.

I knew the Mets jersey wasn't a gamer, just trying to find out if Goodman' made replicas for them and if so, isn't it possible that they did just like Majestic, Nike, Stitches, etc and did their own 'take' on the Mets jerseys of the time?

I guess that's what I'm confused as to people saying it's not a replica (I'm not saying it's an Authentic or anything) unless they know for a fact that Goodman NEVER made any 'one off' type Replica jerseys - again, like Majestic, Nike, etc...

As far as the Walker Russel - that one is mine. GU by Larry in his MVP season, signed and inscribed. Unfortunately, I can't find any good pics to photomatch it... I've seen some close, but as far as I've been told by Rockies insiders, Walker burned through quite a few jerseys his years here and at that time, there was only ONE home white, not three different jerseys to choose from, so I'm sure he had plenty of these which makes finding a photomatch like looking for a needle in a haystack.

All the best -

Chris