PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Jersey Help

cohibasmoker
02-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey Guys/Gals.

I just picked up a vintage vikings jersey. The seller said that he got the jersey DIRECTLY from Wade Wilson. I've NEVER owned a Vikings jersey before and I have to say, it's pretty sharp looking.

When I cut the deal, it was agreed that the jersey must be ORIGINAL without any changes and/or alterations. The body of the jersey is mesh and the numbers are heat-sealed onto the jersey. The nameplate is a white durene material with sewn on letters.

I have two questions;
1) Should the nameplate be made out of mesh material like the rest of the jersey or durene material? And,
2) should the letters used for the NOB be heat-sealed or sewn-on?

It's a cool jersey and I'd like to keep it but if the nameplate is a add-on, that makes the jersey a altered jersey and NOT as advertised.

I'd appreciate any help and thanks.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

cohibasmoker
02-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Hey Guys/Gals.

I just picked up a vintage vikings jersey. The seller said that he got the jersey DIRECTLY from Wade Wilson. I've NEVER owned a Vikings jersey before and I have to say, it's pretty sharp looking.

When I cut the deal, it was agreed that the jersey must be ORIGINAL without any changes and/or alterations. The body of the jersey is mesh and the numbers are heat-sealed onto the jersey. The nameplate is a white durene material with sewn on letters.

I have two questions;
1) Should the nameplate be made out of mesh material like the rest of the jersey or durene material? And,
2) should the letters used for the NOB be heat-sealed or sewn-on?

It's a cool jersey and I'd like to keep it but if the nameplate is a add-on, that makes the jersey a altered jersey and NOT as advertised.

I'd appreciate any help and thanks.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

I got a couple of emails from another forum member who was kind enough to share his knowledge of Vikings jerseys. For those who may be offered or considering a vintage Vikings jersey in the future, this information (especially the nameplate info) should come in very handy. The emails were edited because there was some personal comments that were NOT relevant to this thread.

Jim, From the tags, it appears to be an earlier '70's jersey ( possiblty of Mike Eisheid) that was recycled for practice use for Wade Wilson. The Vikings had a habit in those days of using former game jerseys for practice/ training camp with the NOB. The Nob is correct as they used sewn on letters on a KNIT ( it's not dureen) material plate. The numbers are actually screened on not heat sealed. Hope this helps.

And this email:

Jim, You're welcome. The Vikings were one of the few teams that had their jerseys NOB done locally. The jerseys would be sent from the mfr ( in this case Sand Knit) already numbered but sans the NOB The seamstress would then add the names to the back using a piece of knit material for the plate with either white or purple tackle twill letters (when that was the material available) which were then sewn to the plate. The completed plate was then afffixed to the jersey and unlike any other team, the edges were folded under and a "straight stitch" was used to sew the plate to the jersey. The letters matching the number color is just a coincidence due to the fading of the letters. When the letters were new new there was a slight difference in color.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net