PDA

View Full Version : McGwire PSA/DNA authenticated bAT?

STLHAMMER32
02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering your thoughts on this mcgwire bat..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mark-McGwire-Game-Used-Bat-MAC25-PSA-GU7_W0QQitemZ290404626406QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item439d76efe6

my concern is that in the authentication it says it possesses identifiable McGwire characteristics. During his Cardinal days, McGwire was very consistent with his pine tar application. This particular bat is his game model but in my opinion does not possess the proper characteristics for an actual game used mcgwire bat. I have found it very difficult to find authentic game used bats from macs cardinal days. This bat is graded as such but I dont believe this to be consistent with his gamers. Any thoughts?

panthrotc
02-22-2010, 05:10 PM
i'd stay away

bigtruck260
02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
i'd stay away

This comment speaks volumes. I trust authenticators far less than I trust player-collectors. With Mac stuff, there are a few people here that have great examples of Mac's bats, and other memorabilia that know what is of value - and what is 'dressed up'. If they don't like it, I'd pass too....

Jeff Scott has posted pics before of Mac bats, and if you search, you can see some great examples.

skyking26
02-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Looks nothing like my gamers...

STLHAMMER32
02-22-2010, 05:39 PM
I had no interest in buying it based on what I saw. I own 2 mac bats from his cardinal days and they both have distinct looks that you would want. When I saw that this was PSA GU I got excited and then dissapointmont followed when I clicked on it. I love looking at a true Mac gamer but this doesnt fit in that category.

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that McGwire had a distinct look especially on his Cardinal gamers. I noticed from his playing days, countless photos, and great research to back it up from guys like Jeff Scott. It's a concern for me that this was authenticated as it was.

STLHAMMER32
02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
This comment speaks volumes. I trust authenticators far less than I trust player-collectors. With Mac stuff, there are a few people here that have great examples of Mac's bats, and other memorabilia that know what is of value - and what is 'dressed up'. If they don't like it, I'd pass too....

Jeff Scott has posted pics before of Mac bats, and if you search, you can see some great examples.

I agree with you on the player-collectors. This site has been such a great help for me and many others. Trusting the authenticators alone can lead to expensive regrets. I still talk to many collectors who will only buy items certified by PSA or other companies. I think it is a much better option to seek help from fellow collectors who are familiar with the characteristics of the player in question.

Mat2786@aol.com
02-22-2010, 09:17 PM
A grade of a 7 isn't a good grade. Most people want a bat that has a higher grade of 9 or 10. The reason that he probably gave this particular bat this grade is for the points that you are all pointing out. However this is a Mac bat. It has light use. I have seen mac use bats that have almost no pine tar. He doesn't do this that often, but players don't always have exactly the same pine tar every time. If this bat was exactly what you want in being pretty much perfect with the characteristics then it would have gotten the higher grade of a 9 or 10 and the bat would also be worth more. I don't think that the bat should be of any concern over the grade or authentisity of this bat. During that period, Mcgwire items were in high demand. He may have used this bat, but not for long, he could have given it to someone or perhaps is was stolen. Taube gave his opinion on this bat, he knows his bats.

Matt

STLHAMMER32
02-22-2010, 09:47 PM
A grade of a 7 isn't a good grade. Most people want a bat that has a higher grade of 9 or 10. The reason that he probably gave this particular bat this grade is for the points that you are all pointing out. However this is a Mac bat. It has light use. I have seen mac use bats that have almost no pine tar. He doesn't do this that often, but players don't always have exactly the same pine tar every time. If this bat was exactly what you want in being pretty much perfect with the characteristics then it would have gotten the higher grade of a 9 or 10 and the bat would also be worth more. I don't think that the bat should be of any concern over the grade or authentisity of this bat. During that period, Mcgwire items were in high demand. He may have used this bat, but not for long, he could have given it to someone or perhaps is was stolen. Taube gave his opinion on this bat, he knows his bats.

Matt

You are correct in saying players don't always have exactly the same pine tar every time. Mac in his years as a cardinal was very very consistent though. I have seen Mark use bats with light pine tar but even then there was a consistent pattern that could be seen almost in every case and then it usually did not remain light as prior to at bats he would apply more pine tar. The longer it was used the more pine tar would "clump" and thicken. The problem is not that the pine tar is light... its that it is not consistent at all with his gamers.

My problem with the authentication is that this bat has received the same grade as other mac bats that do have the consistent characteristics of pine tar application. Also it was described as having the known characteristics identifiable to the player. Even if this bat was used in a game it would be a rare exception...