X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • platinum1
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Game worn 1984 Dodgers F. VALENZUELA road jersey

Can I please get some help with this jersey.
    I would love to get this jersey but I have no ideas
    what I need to be looking for.

• sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Re: Game worn 1984 Dodgers F. VALENZUELA road jersey

Goodman did sell pro-quality jerseys to certain "connected" parties, but the year to be wary about on Fernando is 1981, when Fernandomania was extant. The jersey looks good, as far as what can be seen in the photos, for the most part. I've never seen a size 43 Valenzuela jersey, but have seen plenty of 44s, so this is within the realm of possibility, as Goodman did issue odd sizes to players on occasion. No year/set tagging is used by the Dodgers in that year.

What you may or may not see up-close in terms of use/wear will be important, and can't be addressed from the photos.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Comment

• LA_1968
      • Dec 2009

I'm no expert, but the "o" in Dodgers in the auction jersey does not look right to me.

Here's a getty link...
      Fernando Valenzuela of the Los Angeles Dodgers pitches to the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium during a regular season game on July 20, l984 in St. Louis, Missouri.

Comment

• platinum1
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

Thanks Dave
        I agree all the Fernando jerseys I have seen area size 44.
        But I guess anything is possible.

LA_1968
        I dont see what you are talking about.
        Can you please help out
        Thanks

Comment

• LA_1968
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by platinum1
          LA_1968
          I dont see what you are talking about.
          Can you please help out
          Thanks

That scripted "o" going accross toward the "d" looks different to me. The original looks straight accross and the one in the auction is dropping from right to left. I am no pro but I have seen experts on Dodgers look closely at the logo.

Charles

Comment

• TNTtoys
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by LA_1968

That scripted "o" going accross toward the "d" looks different to me. The original looks straight accross and the one in the auction is dropping from right to left. I am no pro but I have seen experts on Dodgers look closely at the logo.

Charles
            Charles,

Side by side, if you compare the two logos, the "s" is more different between the two jerseys than the "o"

This could mean anything... you could be comparing apples & oranges. They could be from different years... the logo may have changed slightly in the 2 years... it is also possible that the jerseys in the photos were manufactured by 2 different companies.

Any Dodgers experts available to explain the logo discrepancies?

Nick
            Looking for ...
            Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
            Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
            Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• metsbats
              • Nov 2005

I think the angle in the Fernando photo is hiding the end loop in the "s".

I found another photo of Orel wearing a 1984 road (see same patch as the Fernando).
              Attached Files
              metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• TNTtoys
                • Aug 2006

In thinking that the home jersey with the logo variation was indicative of home jerseys, I just dug up a photo of a Dodgers road jersey of that era (like the Valenzuela in question) and found that the logos match up better. Notice the O in both the Valenzuela and in the Lasorda. Oddly, the "D" looks different now. Perhaps we need another example -- this time, another 1984 road jersey? Maybe the script on the jersey just was not consistent from year to year?
                Attached Files
                Looking for ...

Comment

• TNTtoys
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by metsbats
                  I think the angle in the Fernando photo is hiding the end loop in the "s".

I found another photo of Orel wearing a 1984 road (see same patch as the Fernando).
                  Thanks Dave, you beat me to the punch. My next step was to find an '84 road gamer to match the Ds up... this one did the trick.

Wow, I can't really say that Goodman & Sons had good quality control on their Dodgers jerseys back in the early 80s. Subtle differences all over the place.
                  Looking for ...

Comment

• platinum1
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2008

Here are some more pictures.
                    I cant believe is that hard to find pictures of Fernando.

Comment

• platinum1
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2008

It looks like Fernando only wore size 44.
                      I was able to find this.
                      163. Fernando Valenzuela LA Dodgers jersey. Fernando Valenzuela made MLB history by winning both the Rookie of the Year Award and the Cy Young Award in{ellipsis}

163. Fernando Valenzuela LA Dodgers jersey. Fernando Valenzuela made MLB history by winning both the Rookie of the Year Award and the Cy Young Award in the 1981 season with the LA Dodgers. He became an instant media icon, drawing huge crowds from the Los Angeles Hispanic community, and triggering a craze that became known as "Fernandomania". This is Hernandez' 1984 LA Dodgers uniform consisting of his #34 jersey (size 44), pants, dark blue long sleeve shirt, blue belt, LA Dodgers cap, dark blue stirrups, and black Puma cleats. This uniform was displayed on his wax figure unveiled at the Hollywood Wax Museum at the height of his popularity. A wonderful opportunity to acquire a piece of LA Dodgers history.

Comment

• platinum1
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008

I hope someone can help me out in comparing the jersey.
                        The bottom on the G where it curves. The space between the G and the 3 are really close on the jersey on Ebay.
                        Compared to all the other pictures I have provided the curve on the G and the 3 is spaced out.
                        It looks like this jersey is having to many issues.

Comment

• nickacs
                          • Apr 2009

I'm no jersey expert, but I agree that there are too many jersey letter/number inconsistencies for me personally to feel comfortable buying that jersey.

Just saw this one on Ebay, a 1993 game used jersey of him. Looks maybe a little better? Good luck!
                          Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Fernando Valenzuela Dodgers Game Used Worn Jersey UDA at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

• platinum1
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by nickacs
                            I'm no jersey expert, but I agree that there are too many jersey letter/number inconsistencies for me personally to feel comfortable buying that jersey.

Just saw this one on Ebay, a 1993 game used jersey of him. Looks maybe a little better? Good luck!
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/Fernando-Valenzu...item45ef9da5fd
                            It looks nice but at $3,000 im going to pass.

Comment

• LA_1968
                              • Dec 2009

Platinum1,

Since this is sorta your thread, do you want to hear thoughts about the sellers other items? I ask because it would be somewhat off topic.

The other 3 jerseys were pretty big stars in the 80's as well plus they are all Goodman mfg'd.

I don't know how helpful you guys think it is to look at a sellers other items when deciding on one but I think it might be something to consider when they are all similar in a couple ways. Plus the feedback is 1.

I studied the Keith Hernandez for a while last night.

Charles

Comment

Working...