PDA

View Full Version : HGH Testing is a Reality!

allstarsplus
02-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Okay, so a rugby player got banned in the first known test for HGH. This could be groundbreaking to really set the the game on an even playing field as this is probably the last substance that an athlete could use for an artificial boost to add muscle mass that had been thought to be undectable by any blood or urine test.

Now lets see if it truly is accurate, and if baseball will start using the test.

I for one believed that some athletes with the right resources were able to cycle off of anabolic steroids and step over to HGH since there were no known tests.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4938051&name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4938051%26name%3dolne y_buster

Bondsgloves
02-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Albert Pujols just wet himself!

allstarsplus
02-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Well, you knew this day was going to come sooner than later. Technology is a wonderful thing.

I seriously think the number of players that are cheating is very very small now. Like I said before, you have to have very good resources to get your hands on HGH and most know that it is easiest found outside of the US.

This is the final straw for any of the cheaters. I can't wait for this to be debated with the Player's Union and hope they can implement immediately.

BoneRubbedBat
02-23-2010, 11:47 AM
While this is a step in the right direction to clean up sports, it's just another example of the testing being years behind the time the banned substance was initially used. Newly created substances that are subsequently used by athletes will always be ahead of the technology used to detect them. This will be a cat-and-mouse game that will go on until the penalties get even harsher, like a "one strike your out" rule.

bigtruck260
02-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Bonds was proven guilty. What good does it do to speculate on other players until they too are proven guilty. Must really make watching baseball tough for some people.

Albert has done lots of great things for baseball - as a player, and off the field. He's come out and said TEST ME. What more do you want? If A-rod can get busted and Manny can get caught, then why hasn't someone come forward with proof that Albert did something wrong?

I hope they do start testing for HGH so that Albert can finally be exonerated...

If Albert tested positive anywhere and any time, it would be too big of a story to leave dormant. If someone had something, they would have leaked it by now - after his third MVP award. What are they waiting for?

This reminds me of the 'witch hunt' on Dale Murphy back in the 80's. He was a great player, worshiped God and did things the right way...but there was always a handful that thought he was too good to be true. They found nothing.

Bring on the HGH testing. Start with the St. Louis clubhouse.

STLHAMMER32
02-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but havent they always had the ability to test for HGH using blood samples? If they can do it using urine samples then I could see MLB implementing it as well.

Problem is players will move on to the next thing that becomes available. Scientists create either new methods or make them undetectable through masking and plenty of other tweaks.

Personally I think we should take all the congressional time, scientific time and get a cure for cancer. Something that takes lives each and everyday and has affected either directly or indirectly every one of us and the players and etc...the cheaters will always be able to find a new method of cheating, its been this way since the beginning of sports. Players will always look for the 'edge', it's just the way it is.

allstarsplus
02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but havent they always had the ability to test for HGH using blood samples?

4 years ago a Doctor told me that HGH was not conclusively testable even by a blood sample so my guess is the tests have gotten closer to being 100%.

Now they are saying they can accurately tell. This will get interesting!

allstarsplus
02-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Bonds was proven guilty. What good does it do to speculate on other players until they too are proven guilty. Must really make watching baseball tough for some people.

Albert has done lots of great things for baseball - as a player, and off the field. He's come out and said TEST ME. What more do you want? If A-rod can get busted and Manny can get caught, then why hasn't someone come forward with proof that Albert did something wrong?

I hope they do start testing for HGH so that Albert can finally be exonerated...

If Albert tested positive anywhere and any time, it would be too big of a story to leave dormant. If someone had something, they would have leaked it by now - after his third MVP award. What are they waiting for?

This reminds me of the 'witch hunt' on Dale Murphy back in the 80's. He was a great player, worshiped God and did things the right way...but there was always a handful that thought he was too good to be true. They found nothing.

Bring on the HGH testing. Start with the St. Louis clubhouse.

There are quite a few players left on the witch hunt and it isn't fair to Albert or anyone to speculate. That is why a HGH test will get rid of the last banned substance that athletes can use to artificially get ahead and put an end to this.

Even the designer steroids are not good enough now because they now can test the masking drugs.

Also of note is Hank Aaron's nice comments about McGwire this week and about forgiving and moving ahead.

flota89
02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Do you have proof Albert has or is still using anything such as HGH?

Bondsgloves
02-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Everyone said the same stuff when I said Arod was a user before he admitted it. Everyone jumped down my throat when I said Manny was a user before any of the news came out.

Lets be real, any guy who has put up major power numbers the last 5 years. The guy is beast. Not a chance he's clean.

Please look at my prior post about Manny and Arod.

I'm a Giants season ticket holder and my seats are right behind the plate and the seats next to mine are reserved for visiting scouts. You wouldn't believe the things they tell me. They new all this crap was coming down before it did.

STLHAMMER32
02-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Everyone said the same stuff when I said Arod was a user before he admitted it. Everyone jumped down my throat when I said Manny was a user before any of the news came out.

Lets be real, any guy who has put up major power numbers the last 5 years. The guy is beast. Not a chance he's clean.

Please look at my prior post about Manny and Arod.

I'm a Giants season ticket holder and my seats are right behind the plate and the seats next to mine are reserved for visiting scouts. You wouldn't believe the things they tell me. They new all this crap was coming down before it did.

or possibly they picked up Jose Canseco's book :p . c'mon now....

OaklandAsFan
02-23-2010, 09:04 PM
all this means is that there will be a new undetectable drug out there if there isn't already. For every test they come up with there are plenty of disreputable guys out there looking for ways to beat the tests.

suave1477
02-24-2010, 09:59 AM
MLB HAS ANNOUNCED THEY WILL BEGIN HGH TESTING IN THE MINORS!!

Just released 2 hours ago

bigtruck260
02-24-2010, 11:36 AM

I guess that Joe Dimaggio, Ted Willams, Babe Ruth, Mantle, Mays...all of them were on PED's too. They put up similar stats. I guess it's impossible for a player today to have great seasons with hard work.

Albert puts up monster numbers. He transitioned from a 3B to OF to a gold glove 1B.

All through his life, he's been a 'beast'. The scouts didn't like him because he was fat, not because he wasn't talented.

MLB has been testing since 2003 - where are his positive tests?

sox83cubs84
02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I may be a Cubs fan, but I have to admit that, until proven otherwise, I accept Albert's numbers as clean. He doesn't just hit tons of home runs...he hits for average and plays well in the field. This guy is a Triple Crown Candidate...could the same be said about A-Rod, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, etc.?

Dave M.
Chicago area

STLHAMMER32
02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I guess that Joe Dimaggio, Ted Willams, Babe Ruth, Mantle, Mays...all of them were on PED's too. They put up similar stats. I guess it's impossible for a player today to have great seasons with hard work.

Albert puts up monster numbers. He transitioned from a 3B to OF to a gold glove 1B.

All through his life, he's been a 'beast'. The scouts didn't like him because he was fat, not because he wasn't talented.

MLB has been testing since 2003 - where are his positive tests?

But the guy accusing him has season tickets to Giants games! :p How much more proof do you need, geez.:rolleyes:

Bondsgloves
02-24-2010, 03:25 PM
This was the same response I got when I thought Arod and Manny were using.

As far as Albert being a triple crown canidate unlike bonds, sosa , and arod.

Didn't Barry hit for average (he won a batting title), home runs, rbi's, gold gloves, etc.?

Arod was a triple crown threat as well.

To put in perspective the only modern day players that compare with Albert's numbers Manny, Arod, Bonds.

bigtruck260
02-24-2010, 03:36 PM
I think a for a while Vlad Guerrero was in that category for a while. Mauer will be there soon, Lance Berkman has been there. Bonds and Manny too...

Someone has to be the best.

3arod13
02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
If A-rod can get busted and Manny can get caught, then why hasn't someone come forward with proof that Albert did something wrong?

(I'm whispering) ...If you wait (build it)....they will come.

If you honestly believe Pujols is as clean as Mr. Clean, then I got some beautiful land I'll sell and give you a great deal on.

Sad part is, we'll never know. Too many will get away with it and keep their mouths shut, while others take the heat (blame).

Regards, Tony

Bondsgloves
02-24-2010, 05:39 PM
(I'm whispering) ...If you wait (build it)....they will come.

If you honestly believe Pujols is as clean as Mr. Clean, then I got some beautiful land I'll sell and give you a great deal on.

Sad part is, we'll never know. Too many will get away with it and keep their mouths shut, while others take the heat (blame).

Regards, Tony

well said.

OaklandAsFan
02-24-2010, 09:31 PM
This was the same response I got when I thought Arod and Manny were using.

As far as Albert being a triple crown canidate unlike bonds, sosa , and arod.

Didn't Barry hit for average (he won a batting title), home runs, rbi's, gold gloves, etc.?

Arod was a triple crown threat as well.

To put in perspective the only modern day players that compare with Albert's numbers Manny, Arod, Bonds.

Yes Barry did all of those things BEFORE he decided that he wasn't happy being just one of the best and had to be THE best in the game because he couldn't handle "some white guy" (his words) getting more press than him.

allstarsplus
02-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Dave - I remember some scouts who defended themselves for passing over Pujols by saying that he "lied about his age". Again, Albert hasn't been proven on the age issue like Tejada and Furcal and Smiley and others.

I never heard the issue that maybe he was fat. It is amazing in the 1999 draft when Phat Albert dropped to the 402nd player taken overall.

I think the HGH test would prove once and for all about Albert or open up other issues if he loses size and his numbers drop off. The jury is still out on him and it should be innocent until proven guilty.

His 9 year MLB record has been amazing.