PDA

View Full Version : GU Bats.To autograph or not?

jon_8_us
06-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Would like to hear peoples thoughts on having their game used bats autographed or not and why.Thanks
jon

staindsox
06-28-2006, 10:29 PM
That's an outstanding question. I would also like to hear what the experts have to say on this. Some would say an autograph defaces/devalues a bat. Others say it depends on the provenance of the autograph or, for example, if you can get MLB to certify the signature when it is signed, etc. I'm really curious what you guys think. Thanks.

Chris

ironmanfan
06-28-2006, 10:39 PM
While for some reason I don't like my game used equipment signed (jersey's, hats, etc.) there is just something about a bat (particularly an ash colored one) that just screams to be autographed.

indyred
06-29-2006, 12:20 AM
As a buyer and the same game used bat was for sale signed or unsigned. I'd prefer it unsigned. I just think game used stuff in general is better unsigned. Many times when people do get bats or even jerseys signed the sigs don't even show up that great and can fade off anyways. I guess I prefer it in the original state. If there is a game used item and I can only find it signed or deal is too good to pass, then I'll buy the signed item.

astros*bats
06-29-2006, 12:51 AM
While it is a good topic, it has been discussed several times here on the forum before. Just so everyone who has already responded doesn't have to repeat themselves, the threads can be viewed here:

1. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=2401&highlight=autographs

2. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=2038&highlight=autographs

3. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1789&highlight=autographs

4. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1446&page=3&highlight=autographs

Those 4 threads were past discussions we had on the same topic. I would recommend checking those out to see everyone else's opinons so that everyone does not have to re-post.

gameused
06-29-2006, 04:12 AM
To me it all depends on the players signature and where its placed on the barrel.

Some of these players have terrible signatures, examples: Vlad Guererro, Manny Ramirez, Miguel Tejada and some have nice flowing legible signatures, Like Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Pedro Martinez.

scottanservitz
06-29-2006, 07:31 AM
I just love my bats autographed. As long as it is placed next to the name on the barrel. I don't like when the player signs it on the back. You can't display it. As far as authenticating the bat, if the player signs "gamer", that is a total plus. Just my 2 cents.

Frank
06-29-2006, 07:50 AM
I just love my bats autographed. As long as it is placed next to the name on the barrel. I don't like when the player signs it on the back. You can't display it. As far as authenticating the bat, if the player signs "gamer", that is a total plus. Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree with you. That paired with a JSA & PSA letter makes a perfect item.

suave1477
06-29-2006, 08:59 AM
I agree with ASTROSBATS RESPONSE we have dealt with this topic many times before and I would suggest for the newer members to take a look at the past threads that astrosbats listed.

skipcareyisfat
06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty torn on getting g/u stuff signed. If it doesn't enhance the value and especially if it makes the piece look worse - like Sharpie on flannel - I won't do it. On the other hand, I had no problem getting Jeff Blauser to sign his old Cubs helmet. It's not worth a whole lot either way, and it looks cooler.

suave1477
06-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Frank well if thats what you like a PSA/DNA letter or JSA just remember they don't hold any weight unless you do your homework yourself.

Personally one thing I do love is a Game Used bat Autographed by the player himself in front of me. I have purchased items with them already autographed but of my collection I like the ones better when I was there to see the player autograph it. I am my own BEST LOA.

jon_8_us
06-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Suave and astrobats.I appreciate the heads up and subsequent links to previous discussions.Although there are new members such as myself coming to this site everyday who know of no previous posts on the subject.Just trying to start a insightful subject and i appreciate your knowledge very much as it seems you are both qualified in your opinions.
jon

astros*bats
06-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks Jon. It is a great topic to discuss and always like hearing the responses from the newer members of the forum. I just wanted everyone to be aware of the past discussions because I figured some of the "older" members of the forum might not want to repost on the same subject that they already have. That way you can read their responses and get some of the newer members thoughts on the subject!

cjclong
06-30-2006, 01:16 PM
I've always had mixed feelings about getting a game used item autographed and so with bats, which I collect for a limited number of players, I decided to try to get two for each player and get one autograhed, usually the one with the least use and keep the one with the most use unautographed. Obviously this won't work for people with huge colletions of different bats. I still haven't made up my mind whether to any of the few fielding golves I own autographed.