PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Historic Auction's authenticity

LastingsMilledge85
02-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I got a bat once from Historic and the only thing I have to show for its authenticity is a letter of provenance from the auction house. Your thoughts on whether I should be concerned or not on its authenticity or greatly appreciated.

clinton2828
02-26-2010, 06:24 PM
i would be very carfeul with anything from them . i my opinion they are they worst of the live auction houses.

jbcindc
02-27-2010, 11:34 AM
I agree with Clinton.

camarokids
02-27-2010, 11:45 AM
A letter is only a letter. The bat should speak for itself.

Does it show use and proper use for the player? Is the correct player identifier on the ends? No number on the ends is not always a bad thing......

With any auction, do you homework. I have bought from them before with no problems.

I won a bat in the auction that just ended......:D:D:D:D

TNTtoys
02-27-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree with Camarokids on this one. If you are buying a bat solely because it comes with an auction house letter, and that letter is a matter of concern for you, you probably shouldn't be buying the bat -- and that is if it comes from Historic Auctions or any other auction house for that matter. You need to do your homework first, because even the best of them get one wrong from time to time. If you are unsure about what you are buying, please feel free to ask for help from one of the experts of this site. We have a large network here that is always available to help!

LastingsMilledge85
02-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Well the marks on the bat and everything look good, it's a Lastings Milledge Yankees bat from his rookie season. Took a chance because I thought it was so neat to have an error bat from my favorite player.

bigtruck260
02-28-2010, 12:24 AM
If you know what you are buying from them, and are OK with it - bid away. I have won several items and been happy every time. In fact, I just won a few things in the most recent auction. Of course, we're talking low end/common player bats, but nonetheless...

legaleagle92481
03-01-2010, 10:45 AM
My feeling is it depends on the item. Even the worst auction house has some good stuff. I have never dealt with them so I cannot opine as to how good they are overall. In this case you have a common player whose last two teams have been the Nationals and Pirates so I doubt that the market for fake Lastings items is very large and if everything appears to match up on a visual inspection then I would not hesistate to pull the trigger. This is not to criticize Lastings as a player I am a Mets fan, who was at his second to the last game as a Met when he hit the two homers and I was furious when they dealt him for his now teammate Ryan Church (who lasted all of 1.5 years with the Mets and was nontendered by the Braves) and Brian Schneider who now warms the bench for the Phillies. It would not shock me if he became an above average player someday as he is still young and still has alot of potential.

LastingsMilledge85
03-01-2010, 06:47 PM
My feeling is it depends on the item. Even the worst auction house has some good stuff. I have never dealt with them so I cannot opine as to how good they are overall. In this case you have a common player whose last two teams have been the Nationals and Pirates so I doubt that the market for fake Lastings items is very large and if everything appears to match up on a visual inspection then I would not hesistate to pull the trigger. This is not to criticize Lastings as a player I am a Mets fan, who was at his second to the last game as a Met when he hit the two homers and I was furious when they dealt him for his now teammate Ryan Church (who lasted all of 1.5 years with the Mets and was nontendered by the Braves) and Brian Schneider who now warms the bench for the Phillies. It would not shock me if he became an above average player someday as he is still young and still has alot of potential.

I feel the same way, as a collector in a way I hope he doesn't become a "star" because his prices will go through the roof. He has potential, but I don't think baseball is life to him so we will see what happens. As a fan and collector of his anyway it turns out, I see it is a win-win for me. I too, am a Nets fan and I rather see him start the season than Pagan in CF, even though Pagan is better, just to make me happy because the Mets certainly haven't made their fans happy in awhile.