PDA

View Full Version : It's About Time Mark McGwire Gets Real!

3arod13
02-27-2010, 07:37 AM
McGwire saddened by brother’s book on steroids

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aizk3Xdv.BNK8RgTA1e_eokRvLYF?slug=ap-mcgwiresbrother&prov=ap&type=lgns

First, I like Mark McGwire. But it's about time he gets real with himself. Even if he did only get started using performing enhancers for health reasons, once he found out what else they could to for his body and increasing of his strength, he then figured it out.

Get real Mark. We're not stupid. Stop downplaying why you used. It makes you look stupid!

Regards, Tony

STLHAMMER32
02-27-2010, 10:55 AM
It's a subject that i am sure everyone is sick of and frankly I don't think there is much else to say really. I think Mark truly feels that he could have been the same hitter without them, and maybe he could of. What he does acknowledge is it helped him get healthy and get on the field.

After he was on the field did they help him hit a baseball? Who knows...If you have heard or seen mark hit the ball now as a 47 year old who has been out of the game almost a decade you will see that he still has the capability to hit long Hr's and leave his now 'students' in complete awe. Mark hit 49 hr's as a rookie and it's safe to say that record will remain for quite sometime. He was a remarkable power hitter and he developed great discipline and plate coverage as his career went on..two things that are not affected by steroids, I think we can all agree on that.

Taking steroids can affect your body in many different ways, some bulk up but could never in a million years hit a baseball hard or read the break of a curve or slider. Steroids may have broke his body down prematurely or they could have extended his career from prior injuries. None of us know.

I have heard people talk about how "great" they are at this or that. Maybe even in the sports collecting community we can remember an item that someone thought was the greatest thing in the world that we thought was fairly common or undesirable. However that person believes in their own eyes that it is something really cool and they are geniune.

I think Mark truly believes he could have been the same hitter with or without steroids. It may or not be true but bottom line I think McGwire geniunely feels that way....and if you have seen him hit a baseball lately he makes a good argument without having to say anymore words.

skyking26
02-27-2010, 12:03 PM
It's a subject that i am sure everyone is sick of and frankly I don't think there is much else to say really. I think Mark truly feels that he could have been the same hitter without them, and maybe he could of. What he does acknowledge is it helped him get healthy and get on the field.

After he was on the field did they help him hit a baseball? Who knows...If you have heard or seen mark hit the ball now as a 47 year old who has been out of the game almost a decade you will see that he still has the capability to hit long Hr's and leave his now 'students' in complete awe. Mark hit 49 hr's as a rookie and it's safe to say that record will remain for quite sometime. He was a remarkable power hitter and he developed great discipline and plate coverage as his career went on..two things that are not affected by steroids, I think we can all agree on that.

Taking steroids can affect your body in many different ways, some bulk up but could never in a million years hit a baseball hard or read the break of a curve or slider. Steroids may have broke his body down prematurely or they could have extended his career from prior injuries. None of us know.

I have heard people talk about how "great" they are at this or that. Maybe even in the sports collecting community we can remember an item that someone thought was the greatest thing in the world that we thought was fairly common or undesirable. However that person believes in their own eyes that it is something really cool and they are geniune.

I think Mark truly believes he could have been the same hitter with or without steroids. It may or not be true but bottom line I think McGwire geniunely feels that way....and if you have seen him hit a baseball lately he makes a good argument without having to say anymore words.
Very well said; could not have said it better really. I've seen McGwire do some Spring Training interviews thus far and he's very "into" his new job, very professional approach, and all of what Hammer said about his abilities currently (I heard he hit 11 out of 15 balls over the fence in BP) speaks volumes about what he could do steroid free.

For what it's worth, I think McGwire used the roids to get over his often injuries (which were many and near career ending). When he saw that they kept him in the game he continued to use. In his mind he does not equate using as extending his numbers because he always hit homers. This does not dimminish anything. At the end of the day, I think McGwire will remain blind to anything other than what he has stated. The players on STL seem to respect him, and perhaps he'll be a great hitting coach...time will tell.