PDA

View Full Version : Packers helmet mystery

BorchertField
03-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I was recently contacted by St. Vincent de Paul in Green Bay and asked for help in identifying a helmet which had been donated to them. They have in the past received plenty of game-worn items.

From what we can tell the helmet is a 60's style helmet but no one wore the number 54 in the 60's. In 1970 Walker had it and 1971 Winther had it. I guess our main question is if the Packers used these helmets into the mid 70's. In 1973 Larry Mc Carren wore the number and he is a local hero being a sportscaster and all. When did the packers use decals for the numbers on the back of the helmet?
Also the decals on the helmet are different. The one on the left side is 1 piece and the one on the right side has a G decal ontop of a white oval decal.They plan to put the helmet on eBay once they know what they have. Just to be clear - I have no financial interest in the auction, and to avoid even the appearance of impropriety I promise not to bid on it when it does go up for auction. I said I would help only because I'm interested in the mystery, learning whatever I can about the team's helmet history. Helmets aren't my area, and I am quite keen to learn.

Here are the pictures they supplied. If there are any other details we need they can provide them (I'm thinking the interior stickers, if they can tell us anything).

The double-layer decal is interesting to me. I know that the Packers used them until the late 1960s, but am not when precisely when they switched to the single-layer. I've heard that it was around 1970.

I'm also curious about the single-piece construction. Haven't seen that on a gamer before.

The large number decals seem to indicate early 1970s (http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/81735247/National-Football-League) to me. According to the Packers' site (http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/results_and_rosters/all_time_jersey_numbers/?number=54), the number 54 was issued to Malcolm Walker in 1970 and Wimpy Winther in 1971 (Winther also wore 52 for part of the season).

So what do you think?

cohibasmoker
03-01-2010, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=BorchertField;190862]I was recently contacted by St. Vincent de Paul in Green Bay and asked for help in identifying a helmet which had been donated to them. They have in the past received plenty of game-worn items.

They plan to put the helmet on eBay once they know what they have. Just to be clear - I have no financial interest in the auction, and to avoid even the appearance of impropriety I promise not to bid on it when it does go up for auction. I said I would help only because I'm interested in the mystery, learning whatever I can about the team's helmet history. Helmets aren't my area, and I am quite keen to learn.

Here are the pictures they supplied. If there are any other details we need they can provide them (I'm thinking the interior stickers, if they can tell us anything).

The double-layer decal is interesting to me. I know that the Packers used them until the late 1960s, but am not when precisely when they switched to the single-layer. I've heard that it was around 1970.

I'm also curious about the single-piece construction. Haven't seen that on a gamer before.

The large number decals seem to indicate early 1970s (http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/81735247/National-Football-League) to me. According to the Packers' site (http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/results_and_rosters/all_time_jersey_numbers/?number=54), the number 54 was issued to Malcolm Walker in 1970 and Wimpy Winther in 1971 (Winther also wore 52 for part of the season).

So what do you think?[/Q

It was probably re-cycled by the Packers but who cares. It's a terrific helmet. When it hits eBay, I'll be bidding.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

BorchertField
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Re-cycled would make sense, with a 2-layer decal on one side and a single-layer on the other.

But still, I'd like to know more about this helmet. Especially the single-piece shell.

cohibasmoker
03-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Re-cycled would make sense, with a 2-layer decal on one side and a single-layer on the other.

But still, I'd like to know more about this helmet. Especially the single-piece shell.

I just looked at the back of the helmet scans again. If you look closely at the back of the helmet, you'll see that "Riddell" and "Kra-Lite" etchings appear to be a double image. If you look even closer, you'll see the font styles are different. The font style on the bottom is the original stampings and when the helmet was sent back to Riddell to be reconditioned, perhaps in the late 1960's and/or early 1970's, it was stamped a 2nd time.

If you contact Curtis at the Helmet Hut, or Robert, I sure either one of those guys will be able to pin-point the dates the helmet was used by the etchings on the back of the helmet.

http://www.helmethut.com/

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

BorchertField
03-02-2010, 09:46 AM
That's a great idea. I think I'll do just that.

Hadn't considered that it might have been factory-reconditioned.