PDA

View Full Version : McGwire to be stripped of honor?...

sox83cubs84
03-01-2010, 09:42 PM
The stretch of Interstate 70 that runs through St. Louis may not be known as the Mark McGwire Highway much longer.

In reaction to his admission of steroid use, the Missouri state Senate voted unanimously to rename the roadway the Mark Twain Highway. The bill now will be voted on by the Missouri House..

McGwire received the honor in 1999, the yeqr after he hit a then-record 70 home runs in a single season.

Dave M.
Chicago area

flaco1801
03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
was watching a phils game from 1979 on baseballs greatest games.... Mike Schmidt would like like Lara Bowa if he stood next to the androids of the 90's..the streroid abusers need to be disqualified from the record books...

ironmanfan
03-01-2010, 11:21 PM
babysteps

bigtruck260
03-02-2010, 11:25 AM
It's not a big deal - It's always just been a horrid part of I70 to me - regardless of who it's named for:)

I doubt he even cares, really. He wasn't there at the unveiling.

Here's to a great Cardinals 2010 season with a great new hitting coach. Who will prove that he is the king of blocking out distractions when the pressure is on...which is a big part of what 1998 was about.

3arod13
03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
The stretch of Interstate 70 that runs through St. Louis may not be known as the Mark McGwire Highway much longer.

In reaction to his admission of steroid use, the Missouri state Senate voted unanimously to rename the roadway the Mark Twain Highway. The bill now will be voted on by the Missouri House..

McGwire received the honor in 1999, the yeqr after he hit a then-record 70 home runs in a single season.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Like they didn't know back then.

ironmanfan
03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Like they didn't know back then.

LaRussa didn't...He just found out :)

rj_lucas
03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
This is nothing but political grandstanding. To strip McGwire's name and install Twain's strikes me as ironic considering the controversy surrounding Twain during his lifetime and to this very day. PBS did an entire program on the subject a few years back called 'The Trouble with Twain'.

I'm a McGwire fan and a Twain fan, so it makes no difference to me. But if our legislators have this much time on their hands I'm inclined to think we should find another line of work for them.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com