PDA

View Full Version : prices for Jeter game jerseys

costas
03-02-2010, 05:09 PM
what is usually the selling price for a Derek Jeter game used jersey? and for a game issued jersey? thanks.

legaleagle92481
03-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Steiner 10 grand g/u Ebay there is one for 9 grand. GI ones I would say about 1-2 grand.

costas
03-03-2010, 09:23 AM
thanks, are game issued Jeter jerseys easier to obtain?

drizer7
03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
A GU9.5 Derek Jeter 2007 Home Jersey just sold at the latest Vintage Authentics auction for $5,700, not including auction house 20%.

legaleagle92481
03-10-2010, 12:01 AM
A GU9.5 Derek Jeter 2007 Home Jersey just sold at the latest Vintage Authentics auction for $5,700, not including auction house 20%.

Was it a Steiner?

CollectGU
03-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Yes, it was Steiner. The days of 10 grand Jeters are long gone, 4 to 6k not including hammer price are a more reasonable range in my opinion based on recent sales.

Best,
Dave

costas
03-10-2010, 01:20 PM
does lowering of his game used also affect the prices for game issued?

legaleagle92481
03-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes, it was Steiner. The days of 10 grand Jeters are long gone, 4 to 6k not including hammer price are a more reasonable range in my opinion based on recent sales.

Best,
Dave

Steiner's website and Ebay stores are still in the 10 grand range. At an auction (not including league auction site auctions where the prices tend to be higher) prices normally tend to be lower, in some cases much lower.

legaleagle92481
03-10-2010, 04:05 PM
does lowering of his game used also affect the prices for game issued?

I doubt it. Steiner is not going to lower their prices because if you look on their website it is not like they have an abundance of Jeter jerseys that they have to move them. Eventually someone will buy them. It seems to always be like that with the stars and well known players. For example, everyone dissed JO selling Sanchez, Favre and Cutler jerseys so high but check their site they are sold out of all three. I check their site daily and don't recall a blowout sale on them. Ebay stores (who are dealers mostly) will also remain roughly the same because again eventually someone will buy it. At an auction outside of Ebay you are unlikely to see a GI jersey as those types of items do not show up often in regular auctions. Could it happen sure and if it did as is the case with most auctions the prices would be lower than what Steiner and dealers sell it for.

costas
03-10-2010, 04:30 PM
does Steiner even sell Jeter game issued jerseys, I don't recall ever seeing on for sale on their site?

legaleagle92481
03-10-2010, 04:44 PM
does Steiner even sell Jeter game issued jerseys, I don't recall ever seeing on for sale on their site?

They get very few of either (if you notice it is that way with every player from every team they have a deal with) and with Derek's popularity and the fact that they are much cheaper than those he actually wore I doubt they last long. I have seen Steiner BP and spring training jerseys of Jeter also.

sctizzle
03-10-2010, 04:45 PM
From what I was told steiner sold every jeter game worn jersey they had for at least 10,000. None were sold for less and all are sold out.

nickacs
03-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Steiner's website and Ebay stores are still in the 10 grand range. At an auction (not including league auction site auctions where the prices tend to be higher) prices normally tend to be lower, in some cases much lower.

Not if your consigning to GFC :) Got an email from them yesterday with a preview of highlighted items from their upcoming April 2010 auction:

4/14/2008 Derek Jeter New York Yankees Game-Used Road Jersey with All Star and Stadium Patches (Yankees-Steiner) (MLB Hologram) Reserve: $9,000

In their last auction in late Nov/Dec also had a home Jeter 2008 (I think) that was min bid at $10k and only 1 person bid to close at $12k (with hammer). And I'm sure the April auction jersey above will sell well too as the 2010 season starts!

legaleagle92481
03-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Not if your consigning to GFC :) Got an email from them yesterday with a preview of highlighted items from their upcoming April 2010 auction:

4/14/2008 Derek Jeter New York Yankees Game-Used Road Jersey with All Star and Stadium Patches (Yankees-Steiner) (MLB Hologram) Reserve: $9,000

In their last auction in late Nov/Dec also had a home Jeter 2008 (I think) that was min bid at $10k and only 1 person bid to close at $12k (with hammer). And I'm sure the April auction jersey above will sell well too as the 2010 season starts!

Which goes to show it matters who you consign to. Grey Flannel seems to do well in December they sold a Brees jersey that JO consigned for $1,700 more (with hammer) than JO was offering it on their site earlier in Fall 2009. And a Jeter at 12k is more than some of the ones Steiner sells on their site, when they have them in stock. The person who consigned to Vintage Authentics lost half his investment when he could have broke even or made money if he had consigned to a better (for lack of a better word) auction house. Personally I had never heard of Vintage Authentic let alone that they were having an auction if I had I would have bid that jersey up because that guy got a steal.

sportscentury
03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
BIN is $750:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-NY-Yankees-Derek-Jeter-Team-Game-Issued-WS-Jersey_W0QQitemZ270547175432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efdde4808

legaleagle92481
03-14-2010, 08:08 PM
BIN is $750:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-NY-Yankees-Derek-Jeter-Team-Game-Issued-WS-Jersey_W0QQitemZ270547175432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efdde4808

This one does not have a cOA which ties in with the other post about Steiner GU/GI items coming with a letter of authenticity from steiner in addition to the hologram and of the people on Ebay selling "steiner" GI jerseys without COAS, particularly of major Yankees stars. In my opinion for this reason the jersey is suspect.

sportscentury
03-14-2010, 09:32 PM
This one does not have a cOA which ties in with the other post about Steiner GU/GI items coming with a letter of authenticity from steiner in addition to the hologram and of the people on Ebay selling "steiner" GI jerseys without COAS, particularly of major Yankees stars. In my opinion for this reason the jersey is suspect.

I didn't post the auction link to make a point. It was just as FYI in case the other fellow was searching for a cheap one.

As to your comment, can't a person just call Steiner with the hologram serial number and find out if it is an authentic Jeter World Series issued game jersey? If so, then there should be no problem. If not, then that is pretty pathetic on Steiner's part. I would imagine that they have some kind of tracking/inventory system at this point, no?

If it is not a Jeter World Series issued game jersey, then what do you think it is? I'm asking this honestly as I haven't followed Steiner products for some time now, and I have no idea what their Yankee product line includes.

And are there a lot of these Steiner Yankee jerseys with holograms but no letters? If so, why?

nickacs
03-14-2010, 09:45 PM
As to your comment, can't a person just call Steiner with the hologram serial number and find out if it is an authentic Jeter World Series issued game jersey? If so, then there should be no problem. If not, then that is pretty pathetic on Steiner's part. I would imagine that they have some kind of tracking/inventory system at this point, no?

Unfortunately, yes, this is the case and definitely stupid and irresponsible on Steiner's part. I've contacted them twice in the last 4 months about two Yankee star player jerseys that had holograms and wanted to confirm their authenticity and was told simply "We don't keep any records of them".

So, to me, the hologram#'s are basically worthless if they can never be traced back to their origination. :rolleyes:

legaleagle92481
03-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I didn't post the auction link to make a point. It was just as FYI in case the other fellow was searching for a cheap one.

If it is not a Jeter World Series issued game jersey, then what do you think it is? I'm asking this honestly as I haven't followed Steiner products for some time now, and I have no idea what their Yankee product line includes.

And are there a lot of these Steiner Yankee jerseys with holograms but no letters? If so, why?

Here is the thread on this. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33860. I was not saying you were trying to make a point I just wanted to point out to anyone who saw the link and was considering buying the jersey and who may have missed the other thread that the missing letter was a red flag. Steiner does not sell g/u and g/i items without a letter. For the Yankees the letter is on Yankees-Steiner leaderhead and a hologram corresponding to the one on the item is below Brandon Steiner's printed signature on the letter.

sportscentury
03-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Here is the thread on this. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33860. I was not saying you were trying to make a point I just wanted to point out to anyone who saw the link and was considering buying the jersey and who may have missed the other thread that the missing letter was a red flag. Steiner does not sell g/u and g/i items without a letter. For the Yankees the letter is on Yankees-Steiner leaderhead and a hologram corresponding to the one on the item is below Brandon Steiner's printed signature on the letter.

Legal: thanks for your note. I went and read the very similar thread in the auctions section. This is a good case in point for combining the auctions and game used sections (there are relatively few auction threads, they get relatively little traffic, and they all discuss game used material/items).

But back to the topic at hand. If this guy is making star player jerseys out of blanks, then my first question is: Why would Steiner issue blanks with serial-numbered holograms? Does anyone think this is nuts besides me? Steiner issues game worn, game issued, and blank jerseys, all with serial-numbered holograms, and then has no tracking system for the serial numbers? That is absolutely crazy. It's even crazier to think that Steiner is re-issuing letters in cases of "lost letters." If this is all true, then you can buy a blank from Steiner, make it into a star jersey, and then have Steiner "re-issue" a letter stating that it is a game worn superster jersey. I must be missing something here - this is simply too nuts to be true.

pungent
03-15-2010, 06:36 AM
I recently purchased a Jeter game issued jersey directly from Steiner Sports and while there was no MLB Authenticated hologram, they did note on the LOA the number/letters found on the tag attached to the top button of the jersey. I'm unsure if this tagging, which is attached to a string and tied around the button, was initially placed by the Yankees or by Steiner Sports.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5092/img0879j.jpg

legaleagle92481
03-15-2010, 08:40 AM
I recently purchased a Jeter game issued jersey directly from Steiner Sports and while there was no MLB Authenticated hologram, they did note on the LOA the number/letters found on the tag attached to the top button of the jersey. I'm unsure if this tagging, which is attached to a string and tied around the button, was initially placed by the Yankees or by Steiner Sports.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5092/img0879j.jpg

There should be a Steiner hologram on the jersey and on the part of the letter that is cut off in the scan.

pungent
03-15-2010, 08:50 AM
I'll be honest, when I received the jersey the hologram on the jocktagging was pretty loose so I gently removed it and placed it on the LOA in proximity to the other hologram directly below Brandon Steiner's signature. Both have matching numbers and are "Game Issued' Steiner holograms. I chose not to show this part of the LOA so as to not misrepresent the condition the jersey and LOA were originally received.

sportscentury
03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I'll be honest, when I received the jersey the hologram on the jocktagging was pretty loose so I gently removed it and placed it on the LOA in proximity to the other hologram directly below Brandon Steiner's signature. Both have matching numbers and are "Game Issued' Steiner holograms. I chose not to show this part of the LOA so as to not misrepresent the condition the jersey and LOA were originally received.

The story with Steiner stuff gets better with each post. Loose and transferable holograms? So much for "tamper-proof." If I collected this stuff, I would be darn to quick to make sure the stuff photo-matched before I added it to my PC.

pungent
03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't really fault Steiner in this area with affixing holograms because there aren't really many places on a baseball jersey you could place one without having it eventually fall off (only places I think would work is with the paper tagginges, e.g. 0062 wash tags or year designation flag tags). The problem is probably also true of other items with holograms placed on cloth, all you need to do if flex the surrounding area a couple of times and the hologram will fall off without being broken or appearance of tampering with.

legaleagle92481
03-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't really fault Steiner in this area with affixing holograms because there aren't really many places on a baseball jersey you could place one without having it eventually fall off (only places I think would work is with the paper tagginges, e.g. 0062 wash tags or year designation flag tags). The problem is probably also true of other items with holograms placed on cloth, all you need to do if flex the surrounding area a couple of times and the hologram will fall off without being broken or appearance of tampering with.

They should do what Meigray and JO do, they have much better systems.

pungent
03-15-2010, 12:30 PM

you mean stamp or write on the jersey that it is game issued and not worn?

nickacs
03-15-2010, 12:37 PM
you mean stamp or write on the jersey that it is game issued and not worn?

They don't write on the jerseys, but they both custom stitch themselves their numbering system (like Miegray) or like JO, the date of game used/which game.

And guess what, they actually keep their authentication #'s in their own database! Booo Steiner! :mad:

sportscentury
03-15-2010, 12:40 PM

MeiGray's system is far superior. They back everything up with photomatching and they track each serial-tagged item in their system that they update instantly upon receipt of all items (and often before items have even been received). There really isn't another system in the industry that compares.

pungent
03-15-2010, 12:54 PM
They don't write on the jerseys, but they both custom stitch themselves their numbering system (like Miegray) or like JO, the date of game used/which game.

And guess what, they actually keep their authentication #'s in their own database! Booo Steiner! :mad:

I've seen a couple of MeiGray jerseys with a rectangular stamp stating the jersey was game issued and not worn (though maybe it was the team that did that prior to providing them to MeiGray for authentication). I also see several jerseys on JO that are game issued and have that written on the size/year swatch on the back collar, again that might have been the team that wrote that prior to giving them the sets.

I was already aware of these issues surrounding Steiner's system of tracking their inventory, which is why I decided to purchase the Jeter game issued jersey directly from them even though it was a steep price. In exchange though, at least I have a peace of mind knowing my article is genuine, unlike the unfortunate ones who've squandered their hard earned money on what's being shamefully sold on Ebay.

sportscentury
03-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I've seen a couple of MeiGray jerseys with a rectangular stamp stating the jersey was game issued and not worn (though maybe it was the team that did that prior to providing them to MeiGray for authentication). I also see several jerseys on JO that are game issued and have that written on the size/year swatch on the back collar, again that might have been the team that wrote that prior to giving them the sets.

I was already aware of these issues surrounding Steiner's system of tracking their inventory, which is why I decided to purchase the Jeter game issued jersey directly from them even though it was a steep price. In exchange though, at least I have a peace of mind knowing my article is genuine, unlike the unfortunate ones who've squandered their hard earned money on what's being shamefully sold on Ebay.

Even if someone were to wash or rub out the stamp, the jersey would still be appropriately described in both the matching letter (with corresponding serial number) and in MeiGray's tracking system as game issued, not game worn.

pungent
03-15-2010, 01:00 PM
I just went ahead and checked the hologram number from the jersey on Steiner Sports and the number could not be found or verified. Has anyone else had that experience before and approximately how long does it take for that to be updated?

nickacs
03-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I just went ahead and checked the hologram number from the jersey on Steiner Sports and the number could not be found or verified. Has anyone else had that experience before and approximately how long does it take for that to be updated?

Where do you go on their website to enter in your hologram#? I went on tonight and can't find anywhere to enter it, just their "authenticity guarantee" page describing their process.
Thanks in advance...

pungent
03-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Where do you go on their website to enter in your hologram#? I went on tonight and can't find anywhere to enter it, just their "authenticity guarantee" page describing their process.
Thanks in advance...

no problem, here is the link:

https://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/hologramlookup

nickacs
03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
no problem, here is the link:

https://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/hologramlookup

Ahh, so they make you become a registered user to be able to use this service.. tricky.. lol..
I signed up for the hell of it, but yea, none of my legit game used Yankee holograms come up either but I know they are legit with the real/correct MLB authentication#.
I even went back to the Fall GFC auction that had some Jeter/ARod/etc real game worn jerseys and none of their hologram#'s come up either on Steiner site.. Uhhh.. why even bother with them if you can never match?? :rolleyes: :confused:

So much for using their service to check your stuff!

pungent
03-16-2010, 10:08 AM
My apologies, because I was logged in with my account the hologram lookup page appeared. I wasn't aware it was only available for registered users. What seasons are these jerseys from, perhaps they are more recent and Steiner has yet to enter them into their database system yet?

rmichne
03-16-2010, 07:56 PM
I checked a bunch of my Steiner holograms numbers and they did not come up either (and they came directly from Steiner).

Maybe there actually is no Steiner Sports at all and we have not only over paid through the nose, but been had all together.

Ron

sportscentury
03-16-2010, 09:03 PM
GUUers, has anyone ever been able to track one of their serial-numbered Steiner items in the Steiner tracking system? If yes, then perhaps it just needs serious updating. If no, then it sounds like the "tracking system" exists in name only.

legaleagle92481
03-28-2010, 04:04 PM
costas, this is for you. steiner added a bunch of jeter jerseys to their website. they have a home from opening day last year for 15k and a road from last year for 10k. they also have a road issued for 2 grand and a bunch of other star issued ones. i know of a way to get 10% off so feel free to email me at justinw.smiloff@yahoo.com and i will give you the howtoinfo.

pungent
03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm curious to know how many road game jerseys were created for Jeter. As you're aware, I recently purchased one from Steiner and now legaleagle92481 you mention there being another for sale.

legaleagle92481
03-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm curious to know how many road game jerseys were created for Jeter. As you're aware, I recently purchased one from Steiner and now legaleagle92481 you mention there being another for sale.

probably several. baseball is a long 162 game season so each player goes through several jerseys each year and i would imagine several backup or game issued jerseys are created as well. i dont know where these new jerseys came from as the gu ones were on the site then disappeared a few months ago and now they are back.

pungent
03-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Thank you legaleagle92481. And you said this is on Steiner Sports site? I only see the Jeter home and road game used, not the issued and which other star issued did you see recently listed?

legaleagle92481
03-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Thank you legaleagle92481. And you said this is on Steiner Sports site? I only see the Jeter home and road game used, not the issued and which other star issued did you see recently listed?

the issued was on there this afternoon for 2 grand. they have mo and tex also.

Mattingly85MVP
03-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Just checked steiner's site and was surprised that the GU BP home and road jerseys ($1500 per) were significantly less than the thermabase sweatshirt ($3250)and GU road windbreaker top ($2K), unless the BPs were only used for one or two games where the other two items were used for the majority of the season

legaleagle92481
03-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Just checked steiner's site and was surprised that the GU BP home and road jerseys ($1500 per) were significantly less than the thermabase sweatshirt ($3250)and GU road windbreaker top ($2K), unless the BPs were only used for one or two games where the other two items were used for the majority of the season

well and his is true semantics by any steach of the imagination but the pricier items steiner considers gu because he wore them while the game was going on even though not while he was on the field or at bat while the bp stuff was worn during bp.