PDA

View Full Version : Avoid buyer SmartSportsInvestments/Ted Newman of Washington State on Ebay

legaleagle92481
03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
I ordinarly would never post something like this but I do not want to see this happen to anyone else so I will. In January Ted Newman of Washington State Ebay ID SmartSportsInvestments won my auction of an Ichiro Suzuki UDA autographed baseball. at a bargain price. I have my auctions set up so that Ebay calculates the shipping, which I think is the fairest way to determine shipping costs. I sent him an invoice designating UPS as how the item would be shipped he sent payment then demanded that I send the item USPS (which Ebay had calculated as a couple of bucks cheaper) and refund him the difference. I gladly did so promptly. I heard nothing more from him and left him a nice positive feedback. After receiving no feedback in return I dropped him a line over a month ago asking if everything was ok with the transaction and requesting that he return the positive feedback. He responded with a nasty email about how pissed he was that I "made money" on the shipping. He based this assertion on the fact that the amount specfied on the package was a couple of dollars less than the amount he paid for shipping costs. I responded with an email apologizing that he was unhappy and explaining to him that there are other costs involved in shipping an item besides the amount on the package such as the cost of the packaging materials, gas to go to and from the post office and time spent waiting in line. When all those costs are factored in I like most sellers actually lost money on the shipping. He did not respond and no feedback was left. He bid on one of my items and lost about two weeks after I shipped him the ball and last week he bid on another item of mine. Rather than deal with him again I decided to end the auction early which would have ended last night. Yesterday he left me negative feedback and said "To beware that I make money on shipping". This was my first negative feedback ever and I messaged him about it and he responded with another nasty email about how he does not care about Ebay and I should take it up with them. I noticed that he is attempting to resell the item he bought from me for double the price he paid for it and I have no doubt the feedback was retailation for ending the other auction and depriving him of a chance to get another bargain deal that he could flip for double. Ironically the shipping cost he lists in the flip auction is a flat rate virtually identical to the amount I charged him. So I am just posting this so others can avoid the headaches this guy brings.

sammy
03-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

He is on my "Blocked Bidder" list.

Don't want to deal with people like this.

sammy
03-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Ebay states the user ID: SmartSportsInvestments - is not a valid eBay ID.

kudu
03-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I think this is the correct ID: smart-sports-investments

LA_1968
03-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Legal Eagles,

I'm not a pro on game used so I thought I'd share on something I do know and could help sellers here.

Of non related sports items, I have about an 8000 feedback on ebay. I probably sold 12,000 items. Average price about $150 USD. As a seller I would never leave feedback first. Ever. Once you do they got you by the 6@11$. Let's face it, seller feedback is infinitely more important than buyer. I wouldn't even leave them neg when they didn't pay because I'd open myself up to them leaving revenge feedback. Out of thousands of "you first" feedback I had about 5 people complain about that policy. I would just say "I want every opportunity to make you happy and once you are I will post my feedback too".

I know it's hard when doing this when you want to raise your feedback but in the end your feedback still goes up and without the threats.

For shipping, I would never print the price on a label. If they don't like the price posted on the auction then they should not bid. I happened to use the free shipping anyway but they were mostly buy it now sales. On auction it's not so easy to do free shipping.

Take care,

Charles

Antonio D.
03-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear that legaleagle. However, I'm surprised you sold that guy an Ichiro Suzuki autographed baseball. You have no idea how hard I've been trying to search for an Ichiro Suzuki autographed baseball. So I was wondering if you have anymore in stock?

I could care less about COA's as long as you know you've got them personally signed? Let me know. Also, I can do trades but other than that, I'm a pretty cheap bum. But I'll take my chances and see what you can offer. Shoot me a private message when you get the chance. Thanks!

I ordinarly would never post something like this but I do not want to see this happen to anyone else so I will. In January Ted Newman of Washington State Ebay ID SmartSportsInvestments won my auction of an Ichiro Suzuki UDA autographed baseball. at a bargain price. I have my auctions set up so that Ebay calculates the shipping, which I think is the fairest way to determine shipping costs. I sent him an invoice designating UPS as how the item would be shipped he sent payment then demanded that I send the item USPS (which Ebay had calculated as a couple of bucks cheaper) and refund him the difference. I gladly did so promptly. I heard nothing more from him and left him a nice positive feedback. After receiving no feedback in return I dropped him a line over a month ago asking if everything was ok with the transaction and requesting that he return the positive feedback. He responded with a nasty email about how pissed he was that I "made money" on the shipping. He based this assertion on the fact that the amount specfied on the package was a couple of dollars less than the amount he paid for shipping costs. I responded with an email apologizing that he was unhappy and explaining to him that there are other costs involved in shipping an item besides the amount on the package such as the cost of the packaging materials, gas to go to and from the post office and time spent waiting in line. When all those costs are factored in I like most sellers actually lost money on the shipping. He did not respond and no feedback was left. He bid on one of my items and lost about two weeks after I shipped him the ball and last week he bid on another item of mine. Rather than deal with him again I decided to end the auction early which would have ended last night. Yesterday he left me negative feedback and said "To beware that I make money on shipping". This was my first negative feedback ever and I messaged him about it and he responded with another nasty email about how he does not care about Ebay and I should take it up with them. I noticed that he is attempting to resell the item he bought from me for double the price he paid for it and I have no doubt the feedback was retailation for ending the other auction and depriving him of a chance to get another bargain deal that he could flip for double. Ironically the shipping cost he lists in the flip auction is a flat rate virtually identical to the amount I charged him. So I am just posting this so others can avoid the headaches this guy brings.

harpt
03-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Legal Eagles,

I'm not a pro on game used so I thought I'd share on something I do know and could help sellers here.

Of non related sports items, I have about an 8000 feedback on ebay. I probably sold 12,000 items. Average price about $150 USD. As a seller I would never leave feedback first. Ever. Once you do they got you by the 6@11$. Let's face it, seller feedback is infinitely more important than buyer. I wouldn't even leave them neg when they didn't pay because I'd open myself up to them leaving revenge feedback. Out of thousands of "you first" feedback I had about 5 people complain about that policy. I would just say "I want every opportunity to make you happy and once you are I will post my feedback too".

I know it's hard when doing this when you want to raise your feedback but in the end your feedback still goes up and without the threats.

For shipping, I would never print the price on a label. If they don't like the price posted on the auction then they should not bid. I happened to use the free shipping anyway but they were mostly buy it now sales. On auction it's not so easy to do free shipping.

Take care,

Charles

Charles,

Respectfully, I have another take on this. Personally, I can not stand when a seller operates this way. If I have fulfilled my end of the bargain by paying for the item in a timely fashion, I deserve positive feedback for that. My feedback as a buyer has nothing to do with whether or not I ultimately like what you do as a seller. For a seller to hold my feedback hostage until I comment about the back end of the deal is just wrong, in my opinion.

I am sure you are a nice person, and I am not meaning to suggest that you are unethical, but this practice is definately a pet peave of mine.

LA_1968
03-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Charles,

Respectfully, I have another take on this. Personally, I can not stand when a seller operates this way. If I have fulfilled my end of the bargain by paying for the item in a timely fashion, I deserve positive feedback for that. My feedback as a buyer has nothing to do with whether or not I ultimately like what you do as a seller. For a seller to hold my feedback hostage until I comment about the back end of the deal is just wrong, in my opinion.

I am sure you are a nice person, and I am not meaning to suggest that you are unethical, but this practice is definately a pet peave of mine.

I totally understand your peave. I really wish it did not have to come to this way of leaving feedback. It hurt to start this policy. My honesty is extremely important to me... to a fault. However, I'm looking at this from a point of view of the seller even though I also buy.

Basically, there is no rule saying you must give feedback. Even so... Look at the Legal Eagle example. As a buyer, don't you think the guy was a terrible buyer? I do. Paying, and paying on time is not the only thing a buyer should do well. He should not behave the way he did. Therefore, in my mind with all due respect to Legal Eagle, he jumped the gun on the positive feedback because as you can plainly see the buyer can turn out to be a major pain and even dishonest. What if the buyer files a chargeback with paypal? Therefore, the only way I will know that he is a good buyer and treated the seller in good faith is when I see the buyer leaving good feedback. If not, it's still an open book. Like I said, I wish it was not this way.

momen55
03-08-2010, 08:33 PM
typical ebay shmuck.

beavisrules
03-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Personally, I can not stand when a seller operates this way. If I have fulfilled my end of the bargain by paying for the item in a timely fashion, I deserve positive feedback for that.

Scott, I understand your perspective, but I also respectfully disagree with you here. A buyer deserves positive feedback for being a good buyer - this includes not only paying on time, but also not harrassing the seller when the item hasn't arrived after 3 days, not whining about the shipping charge being 50 cents more than the actual shipping cost, not doing a chargeback 14 days later for no specific reason, not leaving negative feedback because there wasn't enough bubble wrap . . . I could go on and on, but I think you catch my drift. If the original poster had held off on the immediate positive feedback, he would have maintained some leverage against any baseless claims from the buyer. Personally, I think it is ridiculous that negative feedback can not be left for a buyer, and wish they would change back to the old system on this.

-Mike

xpress34
03-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Charles,

Scott -

I have your back on this issue. Nothing irritates me more than bidding on an item - paying quickly - and THEN receiving an eMail from the Seller asking me to leave feedback. And not just asking me to leave it and stating that then they will leave me feedback, but asking me to leave POSITIVE feedback and I haven't even gotten my item yet!

If you as a Seller are afraid I'm going to be some DA (and I don't mean District Attorney) maybe you should spend the time you take to write me asking for me to leave feedback first and instead, READ MY FEEDBACK. You can see what I have written about others. I did it on LeagleEagle's guy and he has left Neg and Neutral for TONS of people. It shows the pattern of who you're dealing with.

I feel that as a Buyer (900+ 100% Positive feedback) that once I have paid in the manner and time requested by the Seller, I am DUE Positive Feedback - PERIOD. I've already upheld my end of the deal.

I've left too many feedbacks for Sellers once I rcvd an item never to rcv a word from them about my payment - I've also left feedback for Sellers that wrote asking me to leave feedback promising they would do the same only to leave theirs and never get my feedback in return, so I changed my personal policy.

When I sell, I always leave POSITIVE feedback the day payment is rcvd. If I buy, I ONLY leave feedback when the item is rcvd and IF I have already rcvd feedback as (again) I have fulfilled my end of the contract.

Now when Sellers write me 'begging' for their feedback, I write them a strongly worded note back telling them exactly what I just said about having already upheld my end of the bargain. If they chose NOT to leave me feedback, then neither of us will get feedback.

Everyone has the right to their own opinions on this, and this in my .02.

- Chris

skyking26
03-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Scott -

I have your back on this issue. Nothing irritates me more than bidding on an item - paying quickly - and THEN receiving an eMail from the Seller asking me to leave feedback. And not just asking me to leave it and stating that then they will leave me feedback, but asking me to leave POSITIVE feedback and I haven't even gotten my item yet!

If you as a Seller are afraid I'm going to be some DA (and I don't mean District Attorney) maybe you should spend the time you take to write me asking for me to leave feedback first and instead, READ MY FEEDBACK. You can see what I have written about others. I did it on LeagleEagle's guy and he has left Neg and Neutral for TONS of people. It shows the pattern of who you're dealing with.

I feel that as a Buyer (900+ 100% Positive feedback) that once I have paid in the manner and time requested by the Seller, I am DUE Positive Feedback - PERIOD. I've already upheld my end of the deal.

I've left too many feedbacks for Sellers once I rcvd an item never to rcv a word from them about my payment - I've also left feedback for Sellers that wrote asking me to leave feedback promising they would do the same only to leave theirs and never get my feedback in return, so I changed my personal policy.

When I sell, I always leave POSITIVE feedback the day payment is rcvd. If I buy, I ONLY leave feedback when the item is rcvd and IF I have already rcvd feedback as (again) I have fulfilled my end of the contract.

Now when Sellers write me 'begging' for their feedback, I write them a strongly worded note back telling them exactly what I just said about having already upheld my end of the bargain. If they chose NOT to leave me feedback, then neither of us will get feedback.

Everyone has the right to their own opinions on this, and this in my .02.

- Chris
Chris - shoot me an email....Bob

xpress34
03-09-2010, 01:40 AM
Chris - shoot me an email....Bob

Bob -

eMail sent.

All the best -

Chris

legaleagle92481
03-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I think they should change the whole Ebay system. There should be no feedback with positives, neutrals and negatives. They should ask each buyer and seller a handful of yes or no questions. For buyers it should be: Did you receive the item within ten days of making payment? Was the item received accurately described in the auction listing? Did the seller answer your questions if any within two days? Did the seller provide you with the shipping services that you paid for? i.e. buyer paid for overnight shipping seller sent via ground shipping or buyer paid for insurance and seller did not insure it. For sellers it should be did the buyer pay within seven days of winning the auction? Did the buyer answer questions if any within two days?

kudu
03-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Three things about feedback:
- Ebay states that feedback should be left when the transaction is complete, not halfway through.
- Since buyers only receive positive feedbacks, buyers feedback is practically worthless.
- Feedback is voluntary, not mandatory.

BTW, the feedback that SmartSportsInvestments is very worrysome and sounds like a really bad scammer. And he is not too bright either, considering he buys and sells using the same ID. I found 5 feedback from sellers earlier this year on him, where he is reselling the same item.

bigtruck260
03-09-2010, 03:33 PM
I think it is ridiculous that negative feedback can not be left for a buyer, and wish they would change back to the old system on this.

Totally agree.

legaleagle92481
03-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Sorry to hear that legaleagle. However, I'm surprised you sold that guy an Ichiro Suzuki autographed baseball. You have no idea how hard I've been trying to search for an Ichiro Suzuki autographed baseball. So I was wondering if you have anymore in stock?

I could care less about COA's as long as you know you've got them personally signed? Let me know. Also, I can do trades but other than that, I'm a pretty cheap bum. But I'll take my chances and see what you can offer. Shoot me a private message when you get the chance. Thanks!

It says you have chosen to or cannot receive private messages. If you want to email me my email is justinw.smiloff@yahoo.com. I do not have any more Ichiros (the one I sold was from UDA) but I have alot of other baseballs all authentic some of which are priced very cheap.

Antonio D.
05-09-2010, 03:56 PM

One question: How much did you sell the autographed Ichiro baseball for to buyer, smart-sports-investments?

legaleagle92481
05-09-2010, 04:53 PM
One question: How much did you sell the autographed Ichiro baseball for to buyer, smart-sports-investments?

199.99 the auction closed at, he got a steal.

legaleagle92481
12-03-2010, 09:45 AM
As an update I have been vindicated. I went on Ebay yesterday and saw that my feedback had been restored to perfect, his false comments and his negative rating were gone. Apparently he finally got himself banned and they wiped out all the negative comments he made about other Ebay members most of whom like me likely did absolutely nothing to merit them.

trsent
12-03-2010, 11:43 AM
As an update I have been vindicated. I went on Ebay yesterday and saw that my feedback had been restored to perfect, his false comments and his negative rating were gone. Apparently he finally got himself banned and they wiped out all the negative comments he made about other Ebay members most of whom like me likely did absolutely nothing to merit them.

Happened to me also about a year ago. Seems the same type of people leave negative feedback. Guys bought a baseball from me, didn't like it, but wouldn't return it until PayPal told him to. I explained to him I couldn't issue a refund until I had the ball back. He told me to issue the refund and then he would send the ball back.

He disputed the PayPal charge, waited a month until PayPal told him to send the ball back, then left me a negative for not immediately refunding him while he sill possessed the merchandise.

Needless to say, two months later he was suspended from eBay and my negative gone from my record. Customers who abuse the system are generally the ones who end up gone.

Justin, sorry about your experience, but I'm happy for your report this morning.

justinbittner220
12-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Being an avid buyer and seller, I deal with ALL of these issues on occasion. I purchase things and pay instantly, but never receive a feedback. I sell things, send them within a couple hours of receiving payment, but still never get feedback. I would never go out of my way to beg for a positive feedback though. Everyone should be required to leave a feedback, one way or another. If someone wants to leave a negative, it should be up to ebay/paypal to verify that one of parties involved deserves it, before it is put on the feedback page. Enough of my rambling. I'm glad everything worked out for you, Justin.
Justin