PDA

View Full Version : does MLB Authenticate holograms on game issued

mbenga28
03-04-2010, 07:38 AM
I recently purchased a 2009 game issued baseball jersey and it only comes with the team letter, no MLB hologram. Is this usually the case, and if so why doesn't MLB authenticate game issued items?

vballGuy
03-04-2010, 09:25 AM
From my understanding, MLB does authenticate game issued items. At least, that is the case with Toronto Blue Jays jerseys (not sure about other teams). I recently received a list of all Blue Jays game-worn/issued jerseys and both the game-worn and issued had MLB authentication numbers.

mbenga28
03-04-2010, 10:21 AM
thanks vballGuy, are they autographed because sometimes I've seen signed game issued items but MLB only Authenticated the signing session, not the jersey itself.

vballGuy
03-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Not always. Here are some examples where the jersey is JUST team-issued (no autograph).

BB706419 (Gibbons team issued)
BB233617 (Halladay team issued)
BB949335 (Hill team issued)

Although the authentication date listed in the database is in October for most of them. So it appears as though they are authenticated at the end of the season for all remaining jerseys that were not game-worn.

My contact at the Blue Jays stated that pretty much all jerseys posted 2004 that are either issued/worn have MLB hologram numbers. But I can only say this for Blue Jays jerseys -- not sure about other teams.

mbenga28
03-04-2010, 10:44 AM
thanks again vballGuy, I should be more specific and state that it is a Yankees game issued 2009 jersey. perhaps Yankees collectors could offer some more information.

BULBUS
03-04-2010, 12:38 PM
thanks again vballGuy, I should be more specific and state that it is a Yankees game issued 2009 jersey. perhaps Yankees collectors could offer some more information.

For the last year or two, most Yankees/Steiner game used jerseys are MLB authenticated, but I have never seen an "issued" jersey MLB authenticated. That doesnt mean they don't exist, I have just never seen one.

-Chris

LastingsMilledge85
03-04-2010, 12:38 PM
An authenticator often times will mark an item as issued if they don't see the piece cone off directly from the player or something like that. I bought a Mets TBTC uniform and the jersey was listed as used while the pants were listed as issued. When I looked at the pants they were clearly used.