PDA

View Full Version : Will Clark World Series Jersey on Ebay

buffy
03-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone
What are your thoughts on this item
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260560868857&_trksid=p2759.l1259

My concern is that the WS patch and black arm band are reversed on the jersey Will wore as shown in Getty Images (even the Athletics jerseys have the same format). However this item was authenticated by MEARS??

I appreciate any thoughts and/or experience with MEARS and on this jersey.
thanks everyone

sox83cubs84
03-04-2010, 02:32 PM
This Clark is an abomination! Not only with the problems you cite, but the flag tag is clearly a forged one and the Rawlings tag is sewn on retail style (left and right only instead of all 4 sides).

I don't know if this is a MEARS mistake or if it was an Unable To Authenticate that has the worksheet and grade being purposely omitted. This same seller had a similarly questionable item on eBay a few weeks ago. I brought it to MEARS' attention and got little other than snide remarks and accusations of wanting information for free from Dave Grob. After that, I refuse to alert them to any more potential errors. They don't work with me any more because I had the audacity to criticize the company on this site about 6 weeks ago. If you inquired yourself, you'd likely get a better response than I would.

Dave M.
Chicago area

bigtruck260
03-04-2010, 02:52 PM
This Clark is an abomination! Not only with the problems you cite, but the flag tag is clearly a forged one and the Rawlings tag is sewn on retail style (left and right only instead of all 4 sides).

I don't know if this is a MEARS mistake or if it was an Unable To Authenticate that has the worksheet and grade being purposely omitted. This same seller had a similarly questionable item on eBay a few weeks ago. I brought it to MEARS' attention and got little other than snide remarks and accusations of wanting information for free from Dave Grob. After that, I refuse to alert them to any more potential errors. They don't work with me any more because I had the audacity to criticize the company on this site about 6 weeks ago. If you inquired yourself, you'd likely get a better response than I would.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Hey Dave -

I appreciate what you have brought to the site...integrity and honesty without a 'what's in it for me' attitude. I have decided that any and all dealers/authenticators are suspect until proven innocent. Too many of them (even some that get a lot of credit on this site) have had 'accidents' or mistakes that come off to me as blatant misrepresentation.

I feel confident in your opinions - when you err, you man up. I wish everyone in the hobby had your morals. Thanks for not being afraid of the powers that be.

- And I say this knowing that you are a CUB fan.-:D

ziggy
03-04-2010, 07:18 PM
What was the item from a few weeks ago that this seller sold that was questionable?

sox83cubs84
03-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Ziggy:

It was a 1996 Dodgers home Hideo Nomo that had an inconsistent tail strip tag and was the wrong size (48 instead of the correct 50). The listing was shown the same way...a MEARS hologram highlighted in the photos but no photos nor a mention of the MEARS LOO, worksheet or grade assigned. MEARS does place a hologram in Unable to Authenticate jerseys in order to keep track of them, but unless you are a member (which I am not), you can't access their jersey census to do the detective work yourself.

Dave M.
Chicago area

sox83cubs84
03-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Dave (bigtruck):

Thanks for the kind words...not ALL Cubs fans are drunken idiots who throw game home run balls back on the field.:D

Dave M.

buffy
03-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I've learned a lot. BTW I truely enjoyed my one and only time at Wrigley. Unfortunately they beat my Giants.:(

sox83cubs84
03-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I heard from a friend of mine who is a former poster here and who has access to the MEARS jersey census. MEARS did not make an error on this one...the Clark was deemed "Not gradeable" due to the errors that have been cited on this thread plus the inconsistency of the NOB font. Looks like the seller made it a point to play up the MEARS examination without the accompanying documentation which would reveal that MEARS didn't approve of this piece.

Dave M.
Chicago area

DonFan23
03-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Has anyone contacted the seller?

FWIW, I've dealt with him for years on vintage memorabilia, and he's always carried quality merchandise. Jerseys seem to be a new area for him of late. I'd guess GU is not his forte and that he possibly got taken by whomever it was that sold him their collection. Not that it's any excuse, of course. But with thousands of positives and a flawless record, I'd bet there's more to the story...

Lokee
03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Looks like the seller did the right thing and ended the auction for the jersey.