PDA

View Full Version : Is there always a # on G/U bat?

Swoboda4
11-26-2005, 03:25 PM
I shy away from game used bats without a hand-written player number on either the knob or the top of the bat. Does any member know if there are any players who do not write their uniform number on their bat?

Birdbats
11-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I know Mark McGwire didn't put numbers on his knobs when he played in St. Louis (though he did label bats in Oakland). I think it's also unusual for Todd Helton to write a uni number on the knob, but a Helton collector would know more about that.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

GameBats
11-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Derek Jeter is a good example.

JimCaravello
11-26-2005, 05:27 PM
I collect bats from the 50's to the 80's and also have a few current day bats - and many - many players do not put their numbers on the knobs or butts of their bats all the time - bats that are very legitmate and have other characteristics present that trace the bat to the player. GameBats brought up a great current player example of Derek Jeter. He never pens #2 on the knob of his bats. I have handled several Willie McCovey bats without numbers on the knob - bats that had specific McCovey traits. I have owned two Mantle bats that did not have his # on the knob. Once again, by looking at photos, baseball cards, etc., you will see players from all eras who at times did not pen their uniform number on the knob. Another great player that comes to mind is Reggie Jackson - many of his bats have #44 or #9 - many do not - and I have seen photos of Reggie at the plate with numbers on his knob and photos of him with blank knobs. Hope this helps! Jim Caravello

Swoboda4
11-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Thank you all. I guess it all about the bat rack. Bats being put into the rack in the dugout I would think need an identifying marker/number for the player. I haven't noticed if any stadiums provided a different way to place players bats in the dugout so the batboy or player can get the bat quickly w/o having to read the barrel labeling every time. I still feel better when I see a somewhat worn sharpee # on the knob/barrell end-and alsothe faint ring marks of the on deck bat weight "sleeve" on the barrell.

JimCaravello
11-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Swoboda4 - I will be posting a blog in December that focuses on knobs and player's numbers on knobs. The blog will not so much focus on players who do, or do not pen their number on the knob, but some interesting ways past and present players have penned their uniform number on the knob of their bats - with photo examples of knobs and pictures of them at the plate batting.....in the meantime, good luck collecting! Jim Caravello