PDA

View Full Version : Player asking how game used item was received

grenda12
03-12-2010, 11:27 PM
I was at spring training this past weekend in AZ. I had a pair of batting gloves that I wanted to get signed. As the player was signing them, he was asking me a bunch of questions on how and where I got the gloves. I told him exactly how I came upon them. It felt as if he wanted to take them back.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this and what you did/said?

Eurostar09
03-13-2010, 02:47 AM
did he sign them? I would ask if perhaps they would like them for their collection & offer a trade or sell for what I paid for them or even less depending how much I admired the player. Thats just me

Birdbats
03-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Happens all the time. I just tell them "eBay."

godwulf
03-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I've had Chris Young (the outfielder, not the pitcher) sign a bat for me on two occasions, and both times he asked where I got it. (I told him, "I dunno, I've had it for awhile, probably eBay.") I think he's the only player who has even asked me that once, let alone twice. (Unless you count Matty Williams' frequent, "Where do you find these things?")

legaleagle92481
03-13-2010, 11:43 AM
did he sign them? I would ask if perhaps they would like them for their collection & offer a trade or sell for what I paid for them or even less depending how much I admired the player. Thats just me

Tough luck on the player unless it is an item from a special moment in the guys career, why would you offer it back to the player? What would he trade you for it? He has access to all of his own equipment so it is not like he has an incentive to give you anything of value for an item that was not from a special moment in his career. Maybe he will give you an autographed baseball or something. Alot of players are slow on the uptake and don't realize that alot of the stuff out there was originally sold by the team/league. Yes some stuff is stolen but unless your the person that stole it it is not your problem.

michael47
03-13-2010, 02:21 PM
I took a 1990 Tony Gwynn game used bat to have him sign at a NYC show in 1991. As soon as I approached the table & started to hand him the bat, he said "Now that's one of my gamers." He could tell even before he had the bat in his hands. He then asked where I got the bat. I told him that I was told he gave it to a batboy at Shea Stadium the year before. As soon as I told him that he said "Oh, I remember this bat." He then flipped the bat around & told me that he cracked the bat in at least two different areas & he pointed out each crack. He clearly remembered the bat in detail.

I also had a similar experience with George Brett around the same time. George did not remember the specific bat but he also said the bat was one of his game bats as soon as he held it & saw the pine tar & the writing on the knob. He commented that sometimes people bring him game used bats but they were never used by him & that he did not have the heart to tell them that they were not used by him. He was actually happy & almost excited in telling me that this was definitely one of his game used bats.

obpercent1
03-13-2010, 05:19 PM
I went to spring training in 2008 and had Jon Lester's cap from the previous season in Pawtucket. I asked him to sign it and he looked at the cap and I could def tell he was pissed. He asked where I got it, and I told him the person I got it from and he was OK with it after that. It has a really good bible quote in his own hand under the bill. The only bad part is I had him sign it with a silver sharpie and you can barely see it now(the cap is blue). I should have had him sign it with a paint pen. Lesson learned

murfsteve25
03-13-2010, 08:31 PM
The only bad part is I had him sign it with a silver sharpie and you can barely see it now(the cap is blue). I should have had him sign it with a paint pen. Lesson learned
Ya...I had Andruw Jones sign his jersey with a silver Sharpie on the back number. Looked good for the first day, now you cant even tell its there unless you put your face right up to it. Also a lesson learned. :(

jgoldstein2000
03-13-2010, 08:35 PM
I went to spring training in 2008 and had Jon Lester's cap from the previous season in Pawtucket. I asked him to sign it and he looked at the cap and I could def tell he was pissed. He asked where I got it, and I told him the person I got it from and he was OK with it after that. It has a really good bible quote in his own hand under the bill. The only bad part is I had him sign it with a silver sharpie and you can barely see it now(the cap is blue). I should have had him sign it with a paint pen. Lesson learned

Would love to get that hat

suave1477
03-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I actually like to joke with the players when they ask me that. It usually takes the awkward feeling at of the moment.

One incident I met Julio Franco and has his Batting Helmet from the Mets 2006 Playoffs.
(As another member here pointed out a lot of players do not realize the teams and such are selling there stuff)
This helmet I got directly from the Mets.

He asked me where did I get this from? (in a bit of a perturbed tone)

I said (jokingly) when he was sleeping the other night I went through his trash and found it. He started chuckling.

Then I said at home I got his under wear too. He started hysterical laughing. He said I can keep those lol lol.:D

At that point he was more than happy to sign it.

godwulf
03-14-2010, 10:12 AM
This didn't happen to me, but to a media guy I know. He was at a show where Vida Blue was signing, and had a number of Vida's older jerseys. Vida signed them with no comment, but then later approached my friend and began very loudly talking about how the jerseys had been stolen from him, and getting very agitated. My friend told him that he'd purchased the jerseys directly from the team owner, and that he'd be happy to show him the documents. Vida didn't have much to say after that, but his wife came up to my friend a few minutes later and asked about purchasing one of the jerseys, but apparently the asking price was too much for her.

Manram
03-14-2010, 10:28 AM
This didn't happen to me, but to a media guy I know. He was at a show where Vida Blue was signing, and had a number of Vida's older jerseys. Vida signed them with no comment, but then later approached my friend and began very loudly talking about how the jerseys had been stolen from him, and getting very agitated. My friend told him that he'd purchased the jerseys directly from the team owner, and that he'd be happy to show him the documents. Vida didn't have much to say after that, but his wife came up to my friend a few minutes later and asked about purchasing one of the jerseys, but apparently the asking price was too much for her.

My experience with Vida was a lot better than that. Although at mine he was not signing a game used item. I met him a a celebrity tennis tournament and he would sign for anyone. One of the nicest guys I have met

TNTtoys
03-14-2010, 04:25 PM
I have never actually had a player outright ask me "how I got this" but have had similar experiences. One player (I did tell the story before on another thread) turned to the guy next to him and muttered that "these used to walk out the back door of the locker room" and at that point I felt impelled to show him the "purchased from the team" stamp on the inside of the jersey just to show him that it was obtained "honestly."

This year, in the span of a month, I was told by the players that they wished they still had this item. I truly felt sorry for them but did not wish to give up a meaningful item in my collection. One one of these 2 occasions, I reconsidered and phoned the promoter and offered the jersey to the former player at my cost. He agreed to contact the player and relay my information to him. I never heard back from either of them.

bigtruck260
03-14-2010, 06:09 PM
The only one that really stands out for me is Ryan Ludwick.

I was at a signing with Ryan and Skip Schumaker last year...and when I got to Luddy, he looked at my bat REALLY hard. First question was "Is it even cracked?"

I got the bat from Ball Park Heroes, and the crack was really nicely repaired - so good in fact, I had a hard time showing him where the crack was :D ...

He then looked at the knob and checked the date code on the bottom. That's the first time that ever happened. His comment was "probably a bat that I brought with me when I got called up."

He just kind of smiled while shaking his head - kind of like he was flabberghasted that people would want something that he discarded. He ended up hitting 37 homers that year and driving in 116...

Most of the other guys are either indifferent, happy - or don't realize what it is they are signing.

LastingsMilledge85
03-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Why should anyone care what they think? They are getting paid lots of money, if they really want it they could easily pay for it.

xpress34
03-14-2010, 06:34 PM
I've had a few incidents with Rockies players... the 1st was when I 1st met Matt Holliday... I had purchased his 1st MLB jersey (Spring 2000) on eBay with the Rockies LOA and when Matt got called up in 2004, I held the jersey out at Coors Field as the players were coming out to warm up...

Matt saw it, did a double take, and then said he would be back after warming up... he came over and asked, 'Where the hell did you get this?' while smiling and laughing. I told him , 'Conneticut. From eBay.'. He said he never thought he would see that jersey again (he was #84 - yes, that far down the pecking order in 2000) and gladly signed it for me. In fact, that jersey is what made Matt and easy auto for me every time I see him (he signed 6 items for me last year at ST at Phx Muni Stad and called me down personally to sign his GU 2006 ASG jersey and 2007 Authe ASG jersey last year at Coors Field when here with the Cardinals). After signing the 2000 ST jersey, he used to wave and yell out ,'Go 84!' on his way out of Coors Field when he'd see me out back. I also have his GU 2007 WS Hat (w/ Rox LOA) and when I showed up with it, he chuckled and said something to the effect of 'I won't even ask...' ;)

Another one that was funny was Seth Smith and his GU 2007 WS Hat. I took it to ST with me in 2008 and had the LOA with me and caught his at Field 5 at Hi Corbett. He looked the hat over and the LOA and verified it as his, and then asked how I obtained it. I told him (and Joe Koshansky who was standing there checking it out) that I purchase it from the Rockies Dug Out Store in downtown Denver around Christmas. He and Joe both commented that they had always wondered what happened to their stuff when the staff cleared out their lockers!

- Chris

xpress34
03-14-2010, 06:35 PM
P.S.

I'll update this after I get back from this year's ST Sabbatical (Mar 18th - 29th) when I get Giambi's GU Jersey and Pants signed.

- Chris

godwulf
03-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Last month, at Fan Fest, I had Matt Williams sign the two Mobile BayBears manager's jerseys of his that I bought from the team, and he was very surprised to see them again. I told him that they were usually hanging up on my "Matty Wall", and Jay Bell, who was sitting next to Matt, said, "I have a Matty Wall" and Matt said, "No you don't!" and they continued on in that vein for the whole time I was at the table. Two of the nicest guys in Baseball, and also pretty funny when they get together.

sportscentury
03-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Why should anyone care what they think? They are getting paid lots of money, if they really want it they could easily pay for it.

Seriously?? I guess you've never had anything stolen from you, or missed something that over time has come to have significant sentimental value. And not all players are swimming in dough. A lot of non-star and older, retired players struggle financially. Finally, who is to say that they are even provided the opportunity to buy their items back?

Yankwood
03-15-2010, 09:11 AM
I know I told this story on here before but I'll tell it again...I had the very "classy" Graig Nettles (whom I loved as a player) ask me at an autograph show, in front of children, regarding a cracked game used bat "Where the f--- did you steal this from?"....I told him "from a freind of mine in Detroit", to which he responded "Yeah, and how the f--- did he steal it from the stadium?"...I told him I wasn't sure but it was cracked anyway and that he had been retired for over a year anyway ( this was in 1990) , so what did it matter? I told him he didn't have to sign it if he didn't want to but he grabbed it and signed it like he was pissed anyway...I took the bat home and sold it the next day...

LastingsMilledge85
03-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Seriously?? I guess you've never had anything stolen from you, or missed something that over time has come to have significant sentimental value. And not all players are swimming in dough. A lot of non-star and older, retired players struggle financially. Finally, who is to say that they are even provided the opportunity to buy their items back?

I was referring to current players.

allstarsplus
03-15-2010, 11:12 AM

A current player who is about 20 to 23 years (not named Strasburg) is making about $400,000. For baseball players, that isn't a lot of money. To you LM85, that is a lot of money.

Yes, they can become agitated about certain pieces of lumber.

I had a player that I work with exclusively that had the 1st hit off of Randy Johnson on Randy's 300th win game. He cracked the bat and it disappeared. We later found out that a team exec grabbed the bat after it was hologramed. That took a few $100 out of that players pocket.

It matters to these guys. They have to make hay while the sun shines.

sportscentury
03-15-2010, 11:16 AM

My response remains the same. Even the richest of players have every right to be upset if their belongings are wrongfully taken from them. And even the richest of players may not have the opportunity to buy their items back. Even if/when they do, they have every right to be upset if the prices demanded of them for belongings that rightfully should still be in their possession are unfair. A little perspective-taking may be helpful here.

allstarsplus
03-15-2010, 11:31 AM
My response remains the same. Even the richest of players have every right to be upset if their belongings are wrongfully taken from them. And even the richest of players may not have the opportunity to buy their items back. Even if/when they do, they have every right to be upset if the prices demanded of them for belongings that rightfully should still be in their possession are unfair. A little perspective-taking may be helpful here.

I agree with you. It happens more times than you can imagine. Some players won't say anything. Some will give you the look. Some will get agitated. Some just want the history of how you got it.

As a person who represents players for their game used items, I have been waiting for items from my players to hear many times that the stuff disappeared.

So as an extension of that player, it is not great. I have people watching a game and call me and say I want THAT bat used in this game. I send a text message to my player to say please pack it away. I can think of too many times the stuff disappeared.

You don't think the clubhouse guys know the value on this stuff too?

xpress34
03-15-2010, 12:18 PM
A current player who is about 20 to 23 years (not named Strasburg) is making about $400,000. For baseball players, that isn't a lot of money. To you LM85, that is a lot of money.

It matters to these guys. They have to make hay while the sun shines.

Devil's Advocate here (in regards to baseball)... and this has been mentioned before in another thread...

Most players don't pay for (and therefore don't truly OWN) most if ANY of their equipment. Yes, they may pay for their Glove (most are PAID to use a certain glove) and Cleats (many are PAID to wear a certain brand as well).

As far as bats - yes, younger players normally buy their own, but more established players have their bats ordered by and paid for by the team, and unless a player only wears specially tailored uniforms (i.e. Nolan Ryan and his Goodman and Sons unis) they don't pay for their unis either - the team does.

That said, in today's market, the TEAM owns and SELLS the used equipment either on their website or team stores and therefore, most players don't really have an argument when they claim the item was 'stolen' from them. Really? Then go take it up with the team that made you a millionaire.

As far as players not 'making a lot of money'? SCREW THAT. Base salary of $400,000 a year? For an 18,19,20 year old who didn't even go to college? I spent 12 years in the military, have worked for 30+ years and I will NEVER see that kind of money in my lifetime. When they gripe about a couple of hundred they might lose on a GU piece (that they probably have NO REAL CLAIM to anyway - see above) while signing lucrative autograph contracts where they charge you as a fan $40, $50, $100, etc for EACH auto (+ extra for inscriptions) then I have NO sympathy for them and their sense of entitlement.

If a player paid for the equipment themselves, out of pocket, I can see their argument - and with most older players, for items other than their unis and batting helmets, this is probably true. But for the 'new breed' of player that have lucrative contracts that don't cost them a dime for anything needed to play - or they have 'sponsorship' deals where Nike, Adidas, H&B, Rawlings, etc ... not only PAYS them to use the equipment, but supplies it to them at no charge - I don't want to hear how someone stole 'THEIR' stuff - when again, it probably came through channels with their team.

I might be alone here, but the players should kiss the @$$e$ of the fans who pay to watch them and collect their stuff, because without us, they would not be millionaires - or on their way to being millionaires - as the owners would not be paying them what they do without OUR money paying for the tickets and merchandise that pays their salaries, as well as paying for the stadiums that they play in with our tax dollars.

I know this post might sound hypocritical since I collect as well, but anyone that knows me knows that a player's attitude and character towards fans and the public drives who I collect as much as their stats.

Just my .02

- Chris

P.S.

Andrew -

You know that I respect you - and have even had you look for items for my collection - but I have to say that I think your above statement is BOLD to say the least... especially in this economy.

If $400,000 a year isn't a lot to you, then you my friend are doing WAYYY better than me and I would venture the better part of the members of this board.

Maybe MLB needs to do a Financial Planning training with new players if they can't invest that kind of money wisely and live off of it for some time.

If I made $400,000 just ONCE for a year, I could invest some of it and be debt free and comfortably live off of $30,000 or so a year (below the estimated avg wage). If they just have to have those 10 cars and fancy houses, clothes, etc - then I have no sympathy for them.

Again, my .02

xpress34
03-15-2010, 12:24 PM
...they have every right to be upset if the prices demanded of them for belongings that rightfully should still be in their possession are unfair. A little perspective-taking may be helpful here.

Not an attack, but please see my post immediately preceding this one.

As I stated, without US as fans (buying tix, memorabilia, etc - and paying for the stadiums with our tax dollars), they would not be playing this GAME for the crazy salaries they are receiving.

Therefore, they need to give Joe Schmoe a little bit more respect than assuming that HE 'stole' the item or was somehow involved with the perceived 'theft' of the item and acting like an A$$Hole towards the fan. Do they really think that EVERY fan has access or an 'inside' man that helps them steal away their items?

How's that for perspective-taking?

Again, just one man's .02

- Chris

LastingsMilledge85
03-15-2010, 12:31 PM
These guys ave been given one of the greatest gifts in the world in being able to play a sport that they love at a professional level and so many envy their positions. Barring anything stolen, what's it to them if they have a problem if I have "their" bat. Get over yourself, you are such a blessed athlete ad be greatful for what you have and this is the closest the fans can get with the game. I think it's awesome that players respect this hobby and can recall particular events with that piece. If they have a problem (and it's not stolen) then they can pay at my price.

sportscentury
03-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Not an attack, but please see my post immediately preceding this one.

As I stated, without US as fans (buying tix, memorabilia, etc - and paying for the stadiums with our tax dollars), they would not be playing this GAME for the crazy salaries they are receiving.

Therefore, they need to give Joe Schmoe a little bit more respect than assuming that HE 'stole' the item or was somehow involved with the perceived 'theft' of the item and acting like an A$$Hole towards the fan. Do they really think that EVERY fan has access or an 'inside' man that helps them steal away their items?

How's that for perspective-taking?

Again, just one man's .02

- Chris

It's not great. I never said anything about the player assuming that the collector stole the item or even had a clue that it was stolen. Not sure where you got that. If you showed me that you had an item that was stolen from me, I would be upset. I don't know anyone who wouldn't be. But I wouldn't jump the gun and assume that you stole it from me or knew that it was stolen.

While I'm surprised that this is even a matter of debate, this is my last post on the topic.

xpress34
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
It's not great. I never said anything about the player assuming that the collector stole the item or even had a clue that it was stolen. Not sure where you got that. If you showed me that you had an item that was stolen from me, I would be upset. I don't know anyone who wouldn't be. But I wouldn't jump the gun and assume that you stole it from me or knew that it was stolen.

While I'm surprised that this is even a matter of debate, this is my last post on the topic.

Sports -

After re-reading my wording, I did not mean to imply that YOU said anything about stolen items - but it was brought up earlier in the thread - I was commenting on your statement about items that should 'rightfully still be in their possession' and your comment about a little 'perspective-taking'.

I did take perspective - about the fact that most players don't really 'own' their items, they wouldn't make the money they do without fans, many don't give fans the respect they are due, and many DO accuse collector's of stealing or owning stolen property when the item actually was the TEAM's - NOT the player's - to do with as they pleased.

All apologies for maybe not making my point as clear as I had intended.

All the best -

Chris

bigtruck260
03-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Maybe MLB needs to do a Financial Planning training with new players if they can't invest that kind of money wisely and live off of it for some time.

Funny Chris - I did my Master's thesis on this exact topic. BTW - still making less than $400K, but so it 99% of the population:D

legaleagle92481
03-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Noone should feel sorry for any professional athlete in a major league. The ones making the least make wages that are well higher than that of the average person and even the above average earner. I feel sorry for the recent college grads who are up to their noses in debt and cannot find jobs and for the guy who worked his tail off for 30 years then got laid off through no fault of his own because of the economy and for those who work hard and are struggling to get by. To question a fan who paid money to obtain your autograph or to watch you play to me is extremely rude and disrespectful. Almost all teams sell g/u stuff to the public these days not all of which is hologramed or otherwise identifiable as being from the team. So for a player to assume anything is stolen is crazy. Yes theft does happen but in most cases it is easily preventable. How hard is it to just purchase something with a lock on it to protect stuff that they want to keep?

xpress34
03-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Funny Chris - I did my Master's thesis on this exact topic. BTW - still making less than $400K, but so it 99% of the population:D

Dave -

That is funny. I don't have my Master's, and I definitely DON'T make anywhere near $400k (hell, I don't make near $100k!) but I do know how to budget and make ends meet.

Barring any financial disasters (Loss of Job, etc), the wife and I will be debt free except for our house by the end of this year. And all the while, figuring in ways to expand my collection, take vacations, take care of a 16 year old's wants and needs and let the wife shop pretty mush as she wants... and these guys can't manage themselves and $400k?

And your statement about 99% of the population... the other end of the spectrum is that less than 5% of the population control over 90% of it's wealth...

All the best -

Chris

allstarsplus
03-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Noone should feel sorry for any professional athlete in a major league. The ones making the least make wages that are well higher than that of the average person and even the above average earner. I feel sorry for the recent college grads who are up to their noses in debt and cannot find jobs and for the guy who worked his tail off for 30 years then got laid off through no fault of his own because of the economy and for those who work hard and are struggling to get by. To question a fan who paid money to obtain your autograph or to watch you play to me is extremely rude and disrespectful. Almost all teams sell g/u stuff to the public these days not all of which is hologramed or otherwise identifiable as being from the team. So for a player to assume anything is stolen is crazy. Yes theft does happen but in most cases it is easily preventable. How hard is it to just purchase something with a lock on it to protect stuff that they want to keep?

I will be the first one not to feel sorry for a guy making $400,000 a year playing sports as his profession, but they should be smart about all their available assets which includes their game used items and many of these guys are protective of their belongings, etc.

ARod is making over $20 mill a year and still cares about this game used items.

I can't begrudge a guy for making his money. Does it piss me off sometimes when they cry poor? Yes. Does it sicken me a few years after they leave sports that they are broke and stiffing everybody in a bankruptcy proceeding? Yes. Do I respect some athletes with poor moral values? NO!

Like you, I feel bad for students with debt and poor job outlooks. I have 5 children, and 1 is in a PhD program and 1 a sophomore in College. It is real tough. Job outlook is bad.

joelsabi
03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Almost all teams sell g/u stuff to the public these days not all of which is hologramed or otherwise identifiable as being from the team. So for a player to assume anything is stolen is crazy. Yes theft does happen but in most cases it is easily preventable. How hard is it to just purchase something with a lock on it to protect stuff that they want to keep?

all the photos of lockers i have seen of professional lockerrooms are of the open type without individual locker doors. it seems like it could be easy for someone with sticky fingers to take something. One thing that is new is the security cameras in the lockerrooms tho. thats how they figured out what happend in the incident below.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/esnews/videos/47/

http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2009/10/23/la-police-say-locker-room-thief-stole-22000-from-israeli-team-during-staples-center-game-40020/

skinsfan0521
03-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Just adding my .02 on this topic...

As some of you may know, I got a full uniform of Chris Snee (NY Giants OL) recently and he had to buy the whole thing from the team. The players have the opportunity to buy the items, but they "belong" to the team unless the player decides to buy them. Chris didn't have to buy the cleats or gloves, but other than that, he had to buy everything (Helmet, Jersey, Pants, Socks, etc.) he 'gave' me. He may have had to buy everything, but I think the cleats and gloves are his anyway.

I will say that Chris is one of the nicer and more generous athletes, but this is how they should all handle these situations: He had to buy these items from the Giants with his own money, so he didn't want to just give them to me for nothing (COMPLETELY understandable). Buuut, instead of having me give him the money, he had me donate the money to the local United Way. To me, that's what all players should be doing with their game used items. Let's be honest, he makes more in one year, than I will make in a lifetime (last year, including signing bonus, he made something like $15mil), so for him to ask me to pay him personally for items seems a bit unnecessary. Instead, he'd rather give back some of his wealth to his childhood community. THAT, is what should be happening with all the proceeds from athletes game used & auto sales.

Again, just my .02, but I think it's a great example that all other athletes should follow.

-Brian

DonTheLegend
03-16-2010, 01:27 AM
The only one that really stands out for me is Ryan Ludwick.

I was at a signing with Ryan and Skip Schumaker last year...and when I got to Luddy, he looked at my bat REALLY hard. First question was "Is it even cracked?"

I got the bat from Ball Park Heroes, and the crack was really nicely repaired - so good in fact, I had a hard time showing him where the crack was :D ...

He then looked at the knob and checked the date code on the bottom. That's the first time that ever happened. His comment was "probably a bat that I brought with me when I got called up."

He just kind of smiled while shaking his head - kind of like he was flabberghasted that people would want something that he discarded. He ended up hitting 37 homers that year and driving in 116...

Most of the other guys are either indifferent, happy - or don't realize what it is they are signing.

i remember that pretty vividly Dave.

it was pretty weird at first, almost as if he was pissed about something.

he did seem to look at the damn bat forever. almost as if he was thinking about where and when it could have been used it and how it left the ball park. i was half expecting him to freak out on you.

i thought it was funny to see him go through all that only to end up being courteous and almost thankful.

sox83cubs84
03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
In my case, the worst was the late Cardinals catcher/coach, Dave Ricketts. I showed him a 1988 Cardinals home jersey ar Wrigley Field in the early 1990s, and he screamed "HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET THAT?". Before I could answer, he added, "never mind, you probably stole the G** D*** thing!". I know Cardinals fans on this board have told me what a great guy and popular person he is among their group...that day, though, he couldn't have been more obnoxious if he was drunk, stoned, and having bladder problms all at the same time!

Dave M.
Chicago area