PDA

View Full Version : Manager Ron Washington Failed Drug Test for Cocaine

ironmanfan
03-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Sad story out of Texas that their manager, Ron Washington failed a drug test (tested positive for cocaine) last summer:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/03/17/washington/index.html?xid=si_mlb

I've been kind of fan of Wash since he holds a special place in Ripken history. In addition to having the record for most consecutive games played, Cal Jr. ALSO holds the MLB record for most consecutive innings played (8,243 consecutive innings; 1982-1987). When Cal sat out the last defensive inning of a game they were being blown out in Toronto in September 1987, the player who replaced him at shortstop for that last half inning was none other than Ron Washington.

Fortunately, knowing the history, I was able to pick up the jersey that Ron Washington wore to "break the streak" that evening for a song about 10 years ago..

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/DSC04106-1.jpg

eisenreich8
03-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Watching this as the lead story on MLB Tonight, and hearing the vaied opinions of the show's hosts and those of their colleagues (Gammons, etc), that maybe Washington should be exiled from managing, because of the negative example he could be setting in the clubhouse from a discipline standpoint, etc....

I couldn't help wondering why little was ever said in this regard after Tony LaRussa came back from spring training with an embarrassing DUI under his belt and barely any fallout from that. I believe Butch Hobson was able to return to coaching in the minors and many other tales we'll never know.

If the comparison is made regarding the legality of booze vs. coke, the illegal act of DUI and coke is what I am alluding to. I don't think RW should be demonized over this.

allstarsplus
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Sad story out of Texas that their manager, Ron Washington failed a drug test (tested positive for cocaine) last summer:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/03/17/washington/index.html?xid=si_mlb

I've been kind of fan of Wash since he holds a special place in Ripken history. In addition to having the record for most consecutive games played, Cal Jr. ALSO holds the MLB record for most consecutive innings played (8,243 consecutive innings; 1982-1987). When Cal sat out the last defensive inning of a game they were being blown out in Toronto in September 1987, the player who replaced him at shortstop for that last half inning was none other than Ron Washington.

Fortunately, knowing the history, I was able to pick up the jersey that Ron Washington wore to "break the streak" that evening for a song about 10 years ago..

I am sickened to hear this. To think a Manager needs to be a Mentor and has a recovering addict named Josh Hamilton as his star pupil makes this even worse.

entitled_nitwits
03-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Depressingly sad.

"Habits" and "addictions" are tough. It's painfully evident rehab just doesn't work most of the time. These poor souls fall down over and over again.

And then there's the "character" thing. Do these guys sitting fat really lack the understanding that they just can't escape the sting of reality when they choose to live a lifestyle in an irresponsible way? Or do they just feel so entitled to do as they wish because of their success, that they hold no regard to the impending devastating consequences that may be levied on their lives if their little dirty deeds come to light?

I don't know which is the case with Ron Washington. But in the end, does it really matter?

All of us would KILL for a dream job of managing a major league team. But yet another example of being human reminds us all that in the blink of an eye, dreams can be flushed away.

One hell of a way to start a season. And truly sad.

legaleagle92481
03-17-2010, 11:39 PM
i think he needs to be replaced. you cannot have a manager who is at risk of doing drugs. what if he is in a pennant race in september or in a playoff series with all the pressure and stress and he relapses it could be a disaster imagine a manager making decisions high in this situations? it strikes at the integrity of the game. plus hamilton has a history of coke use and this is one of the guys who is suppossed to keep him in line and be a mentor to him.

Preston
03-18-2010, 12:07 AM
My question is...why in the world did he do it in the first place at his age AND his position? It was a "one-time" thing (supposedly) but where did he get it? Cocaine is one step above meth which is the bottomfeeder of drugs. I don't think he should lose his job but I do think some sort of punishment is in order (if nothing else, speaking to kids about the dangers of doing drugs). If it were the NFL, Goodell would suspend him but good ol' boy Bud probably isn't even aware of the issue (LOL).

allstarsplus
03-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Ron Washington went on ESPN and confirmed it is true. His interview seemed to me to be remorseful and sincere.

matt
03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Weird that the one time in his life he did coke was within 48 hours of a random test...in the middle of the season. It would stay in his system longer than that. Seems unlikely to me this was a 1 time event, but I do not have a problem with him getting a 2nd chance. Hopefully they piss test him daily now.

Two strikes and you should be out in this case. Or maybe the MLB wants to come to my house and help me explain to my son why this is not the case.

Matt

legaleagle92481
03-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Weird that the one time in his life he did coke was within 48 hours of a random test...in the middle of the season. It would stay in his system longer than that. Seems unlikely to me this was a 1 time event, but I do not have a problem with him getting a 2nd chance. Hopefully they piss test him daily now.

Two strikes and you should be out in this case. Or maybe the MLB wants to come to my house and help me explain to my son why this is not the case.

Matt

A man his age trying hard drugs drugs for the first time is in itself unbelivable. It is just PR spin. Admit to it but minimize it and do not tell the whole truth, standard public figure response.

cohibasmoker
03-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Steroids aren't an issue with MLB so what's the big deal with a little Cocaine now and again? Like marijuana, we should just legalize it.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

eisenreich8
03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Now it's been reported that RW took amphetamines in his playing days. Wasn't banned then, but if it proved to be "performance-enhancing", record-keeping just became one grain less indelible.

I don't think any of this is real important. The reporter who broke the story said yesterday that if the information (about the coke use) could be confirmed, he was going to run with it, and that it was his obligation. I am sure he profited from RW's misery.

I had a serious dependence on tobacco for 25+ years. In the eyes of a Mormon I was probably sinning, but I don't think it diminished my value to my employers or subordinates. RW just got caught and it should be over now.

ironmanfan
03-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Now it's been reported that RW took amphetamines in his playing days. Wasn't banned then, but if it proved to be "performance-enhancing", record-keeping just became one grain less indelible.

I don't think any of this is real important. The reporter who broke the story said yesterday that if the information (about the coke use) could be confirmed, he was going to run with it, and that it was his obligation. I am sure he profited from RW's misery.

I've always considred amphetamines more of a "performance enabling" drug as opposed to "performance enhancing" one.

eisenreich8
03-18-2010, 07:39 PM
I've always considred amphetamines more of a "performance enabling" drug as opposed to "performance enhancing" one.

Very valid point!