PDA

View Full Version : who wrong in this auction?

legaleagle92481
03-24-2010, 11:46 PM
the mlb hologram number lists the item as a team issued jersey. the steiner red sox-loa lists it as a gu jersey. is it another steiner error or another mlb hologram error? this is the perfect illustration of the failings of both operations.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Manny-Ramirez-24-RED-SOX-Game-Worn-ALT-Jersey_W0QQitemZ320326596943QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a94f3f94f

Dewey2007
03-25-2010, 12:20 AM
the mlb hologram number lists the item as a team issued jersey. the steiner red sox-loa lists it as a gu jersey. is it another steiner error or another mlb hologram error? this is the perfect illustration of the failings of both operations.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Manny-Ramirez-24-RED-SOX-Game-Worn-ALT-Jersey_W0QQitemZ320326596943QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a94f3f94f

Can't say for sure but this may just be a case of when the jersey was MLB Authenticated. The Red Sox wore the red alternates on Saturday, Aug 16 and this particular jersey didn't get authenticated until Aug 18th. I've seen several posts in the past mention that if an item is not authenticated the day of it will not be listed as game used even though it is. This is one of the issues with MLB's Authentication program.

For instance, I have a 2008 Dontrelle Willis spring training home jersey that is game used but was authenticated after spring training so it is listed as game issued in the database.

jetersbatboy
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Neither is wrong, if MLB gets a jersey after the fact without a MLB authentication witness, they authenticate it as team issued. This is regardless if it was used or not. If steiner receives the jersey from the team and the equipment manager list it as game used Steiner authenticates it as that.

Witch Hunt!!!!:rolleyes:

legaleagle92481
03-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks. Why do they get it MLB authenticated then in that scenario? Or better yet why don't they just get it authenticated within the parameters MLB requires to authenticate it as game used? All it does is add confusion. Especially in this case it is a item going for several grand and there are two very different descriptions of it. If you notice Tigerdale's post in my Steiner thread Steiner is not above making typos on their LOAs and that is not the first time I have seen such a typo so one can see why I was concerned. I mean imagine spending 1,000s and finding out that it was a typo and the thing was really only game issued and worth 1,000s less. I was going to buy this jersey then I looked up the MLB hologram and was like what is this? I am also not witch hunting against Steiner, I have alot of Steiner stuff in my collection bought both directly from them and from third parties and I just want to see them take the steps that are needed to restore themselves to the top of the marketplace which will preserve the value of my stuff and everyone else's stuff.

Dewey2007
03-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks. Why do they get it MLB authenticated then in that scenario? Or better yet why don't they just get it authenticated within the parameters MLB requires to authenticate it as game used? All it does is add confusion. Especially in this case it is a item going for several grand and there are two very different descriptions of it. If you notice Tigerdale's post in my Steiner thread Steiner is not above making typos on their LOAs and that is not the first time I have seen such a typo so one can see why I was concerned. I mean imagine spending 1,000s and finding out that it was a typo and the thing was really only game issued and worth 1,000s less. I was going to buy this jersey then I looked up the MLB hologram and was like what is this? I am also not witch hunting against Steiner, I have alot of Steiner stuff in my collection bought both directly from them and from third parties and I just want to see them take the steps that are needed to restore themselves to the top of the marketplace which will preserve the value of my stuff and everyone else's stuff.

I don't know if Steiner had or has any say when things get MLB Authenticated. Maybe someone the Steiner rep who posted on the other thread can shed some light on this matter?

From the MLB Authentication info it indicates the Session Name as: Red Sox Authentication. My guess is the team requested items to be authenticated after that particular homestand in August 2008 ended.

David
03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
MLB authentication often does it this way, listing genuine game used as issued. They only record things as they see it with their own eyes. If the team tells them it was used in the game, but MLB authenticators didn't see it used in the game with their own eyes they will call it issued.

David
03-25-2010, 02:56 PM
There have been some misunderstandings because of this, but, overall, collectors should be glad that MLB Authentication is so conservative. You don't want it that a coach came come in with pile of jerseys and say "I know you didn't watch the game, but label these all as game used." The hologram listing is only for what an MLB Authentication official witnessed. No second hand info.

legaleagle92481
03-25-2010, 03:00 PM
There have been some misunderstandings because of this, but, overall, collectors should be glad that MLB Authentication is so conservative. You don't want it that a coach came come in with pile of jerseys and say "I know you didn't watch the game, but label these all as game used." The hologram listing is only for what an MLB Authentication official witnessed. No second hand info.

That is great that they do that as we all know even some stuff from the clubhouse that purports to be gu is not ala that Pujols jersey the Cards auctioned a few months ago that was a thread on here. But then why does the team or Steiner or whoever submit them to MLB if they know they are gu what is the point of having MLB hologram them and put them in the database as team issued? It creates confusion.