PDA

View Full Version : Willie Mays

Bigcatbaseball
03-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I looking for team index bat information for H&B Wille Mays for 1973.

MSpecht
03-29-2010, 07:59 AM
If you are looking for professional model H & B bats shipped directly to Mays in 1973, those would be 35 inch models A99 and S2 bats. Later in the label period (post-cateer) you'll find model B267C. There would be no Mays bats included in a random index order (assorted models, lengths, and weights) as Mays did not have an H & B endorsement contract (thus block letter bats only.) Whether the team ordered additional bats specifically for Mays (additional team order) is not known.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

Bigcatbaseball
03-31-2010, 09:08 PM
This is block letter H&B S-2 34.5 " 30 oz bat. It appears to have all of the pro model bat markings. I thought it might be a team index bat. Clearly it does not match player records as Mays had a 35" block letter bat in 1973. I was thinling this could be a team ordered bat.

MSpecht
04-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Check the labeling period, as Mays did have one order of 34.5 inch, 32 oz model S2 bats with Flame Burned finish (totaling 12 bats) shipped to him with documented date of of 6/21/1967. If you could post pics of the knob, center label, and barrel label that would be helpful.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Bigcatbaseball
04-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately, the label period is 73-75. I would have thought it might have been ordered by the team in 1973 as it has all of the appearance of a pro model bat. Now that we have access to published information on player orders, where can we find information on team ordered bats?

MSpecht
04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
The few persons who have had access to H & B records have different concentrations of records they have accumulated. I do not have the Mets team order records, however Dave Bushing may be able to assist with those specific records. Another thought... some of Mays' 1973 orders had some very specific weights. If you can see the remains of the weight on the knob, and it matches up with one of the specific orders, it may give some credibility to your bat. Of course, the liklihood exists also that it is a replica or show (signing) bat. Good Luck.
Mike jackitout7@aol.com (jackitout7@aol.com)