PDA

View Full Version : 49ers STUFF-in GF and AMI auctions

solarlottry
03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Anyone see the 49ers stuff in the recent Grey Flannel Auction and what do you think? I am interested in the GU SB football with team letter. i know that years ago "Man of Steel" sold these as well as NFC championship game balls but have not seen one in years. I called GF and the paper the COA is printed on is of different stock than the standard COA that came with their GU jerseys of that era.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the GU 49ers shirts? Their is also a SY from 1997 on the new American memorabilia auction site. The SY on the GF auction was sold at auction a few years ago. If anyone has any opinions on the authenticity of these items please let me know.

thanks much
paul

legaleagle92481
03-31-2010, 12:21 AM
to me letters are meaningless. they can be photocopied or forgered or put with an item other than the item they came with. there is nothing on the jerseys tying them to the letter i.e. a numbered hologram that matches the one on the coa that can be verified in a database. to me it is cavet emptor. be sure you read up on the customizations that young had made to his jerseys if any and any other unique characteristics of sy jerseys if any. also try to photomatch it.

solarlottry
03-31-2010, 01:32 AM
What is best way to photo match? It seems that using Google will only reveal a few pics of the player searched for especially in games played in the 1990s. I tried to photo match the Steve Young that AMI has from 1997 but was only able to pull up 2 Getty images from that game. It is pretty hard to photo match if their are only 2 images available and they are not close ups. Does anyone have any other means to do this?

I agree about the letters. Anyone can switch things etc thus making the letters meaningless. I guess the photo match is the gold standard although the 49ers shirts i have from 1993-95 with team letters all seem authentic. Back then i bought a Rice from 1995 from a dealer, cant remember who but his motto in SCD was "the unopened back guy", with a team letter that was printed on different paper. I sent the shirt back with my explanation and boy was he pissed. He gave me a refund but said that all 40 of my 49ers shirts with team letters all printed on the same paper, were fakes and his was real!!! Oh well.

ivo610
03-31-2010, 10:48 AM
What is best way to photo match? It seems that using Google will only reveal a few pics of the player searched for especially in games played in the 1990s. I tried to photo match the Steve Young that AMI has from 1997 but was only able to pull up 2 Getty images from that game. It is pretty hard to photo match if their are only 2 images available and they are not close ups. Does anyone have any other means to do this?

I agree about the letters. Anyone can switch things etc thus making the letters meaningless. I guess the photo match is the gold standard although the 49ers shirts i have from 1993-95 with team letters all seem authentic. Back then i bought a Rice from 1995 from a dealer, cant remember who but his motto in SCD was "the unopened back guy", with a team letter that was printed on different paper. I sent the shirt back with my explanation and boy was he pissed. He gave me a refund but said that all 40 of my 49ers shirts with team letters all printed on the same paper, were fakes and his was real!!! Oh well.

I think your talking about the st louis rams steve young. A former member on here still has that jersey and did not consign it. It is photomatched.

solarlottry
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I did some extensive research last night into the SY vs Rams jersey in the GF auction. He wore size 44 that year as a friend of mine has a 1997 gamer that is authentic which has a size 44 tag with different stitching thru the tag. The sleeves are also different with the sleeves from the authentic jersey being longer with more red fabric after the white lines end. It would seem that the GF jersey would be questionable in my mind but i have yet to rule it as a fake as i have not found an image of SY from that Rams game. It is possible that he wore size 44 and size 46 during the 1997 season. If anyone has any other info it would be appreciated. If the GUU member with the jersey could chime i that would be great!

ivo610
04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
I did some extensive research last night into the SY vs Rams jersey in the GF auction. He wore size 44 that year as a friend of mine has a 1997 gamer that is authentic which has a size 44 tag with different stitching thru the tag. The sleeves are also different with the sleeves from the authentic jersey being longer with more red fabric after the white lines end. It would seem that the GF jersey would be questionable in my mind but i have yet to rule it as a fake as i have not found an image of SY from that Rams game. It is possible that he wore size 44 and size 46 during the 1997 season. If anyone has any other info it would be appreciated. If the GUU member with the jersey could chime i that would be great!

Another forum member owns the jersey used that year in that game and is not selling it in that auction.

ivo610
04-01-2010, 11:00 AM
He no longer post on here for various reasons, but I think there is enough evidence just looking at the jersey that it should come into doubt.

solarlottry
04-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I agree and wont be bidding on it. What do you think of the Super bowl signed ball? I think the other 49ers stuff in the GF auction is questionable as well so except for the ball wont bid on anything.

jgoldstein2000
04-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm so bummed out anytime I read about bad items on auction sites. I wish I could just bid with confidence... I don't have the time or expertise to dig through the junk...

legaleagle92481
04-01-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm so bummed out anytime I read about bad items on auction sites. I wish I could just bid with confidence... I don't have the time or expertise to dig through the junk...

i hear you on that but it is like anything else. would you buy a car or hire a contractor to renovate your house without doing your homework? it may sound completely different but a lot of this stuff is a huge investment so just like you would not want to get stuck driving a lemon or with a roof that leaks one has to take steps to avoid being stuck with a bad item.

ivo610
04-01-2010, 11:38 PM
i hear you on that but it is like anything else. would you buy a car or hire a contractor to renovate your house without doing your homework? it may sound completely different but a lot of this stuff is a huge investment so just like you would not want to get stuck driving a lemon or with a roof that leaks one has to take steps to avoid being stuck with a bad item.

I might take the bus if there was that many bad cars out there as there are jerseys or equipment. But its the hunt of what you want thats worth it, the item is just the light at the end of the tunnel. Its how you get there thats rewarding.

ivo610
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I agree and wont be bidding on it. What do you think of the Super bowl signed ball? I think the other 49ers stuff in the GF auction is questionable as well so except for the ball wont bid on anything.

I am not an expert like so many people on here, but if I see one bad item in a group I assume its all bad. I assume you only buy 49ers?

I really like those Trippi cleats, there old, from a Hall of Famer, and the signature looks great.

solarlottry
04-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I am not an expert like so many people on here, but if I see one bad item in a group I assume its all bad. I assume you only buy 49ers?

I really like those Trippi cleats, there old, from a Hall of Famer, and the signature looks great.

I have purchased some good items from GF in the past including a Dana Stubblefield 1994 NFC championship gamer that i had owned before i sold my collection so i was thrilled to get it back!!! They had a Patrick Willis gamer from last season in the last auction and i researched the shirt extensively and emailed them that it had to be a fake and they removed it from the auction!!! I guess they dont want bad press but i always see questionable stuff in their auctions.

legaleagle92481
04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
I have purchased some good items from GF in the past including a Dana Stubblefield 1994 NFC championship gamer that i had owned before i sold my collection so i was thrilled to get it back!!! They had a Patrick Willis gamer from last season in the last auction and i researched the shirt extensively and emailed them that it had to be a fake and they removed it from the auction!!! I guess they dont want bad press but i always see questionable stuff in their auctions.

that is every auction house if you notice they want their cut and if they toss in big name items even if they are fake people still bid and they make money so why stop doing it? if people did not bid on questionable items they would change their ways rather than waste space in the catalogue. but people won't stop bidding alot of people just want to believe something is real and convince themselves it is because x company said so. they do have alot of good stuff though dont get me wrong.

worldchamps
04-02-2010, 03:41 PM
I like the photomatched Deion Sanders jersey that has a completely different cut of the sleeves in the photo.

solarlottry
04-03-2010, 01:49 AM
I like the photomatched Deion Sanders jersey that has a completely different cut of the sleeves in the photo.

I know! How can they say it is photomatched when the sleeves are so obviously different?!?! The same with the SY jersey. If you google other images from that season he wore sleeves that were much longer, with more red fabric after the white lines as well as he wore size 44 not 46. People still bid though. After my experience with the Patrick Willis gamer in the last GF auction i dont know what to believe with them.

Always looking for 49ers shirts!!!!

nickacs
04-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Does the Getty Images for the SY AMI '97 show only 2 white lines on the sleeves, while the AMI shows 3?? Or is the bottom curled up in the Getty pics?

AMI

https://docs.google.com/File?id=dhcs5s4z_1447mm67gj9_b

Gettys

https://docs.google.com/File?id=dhcs5s4z_142f4djj8cf_b

https://docs.google.com/File?id=dhcs5s4z_143dfkczxdr_b

solarlottry
04-10-2010, 12:25 AM
hard to tell. i tried to contact Larry Kirksey via the Texans but no luck. This shirt is a tough one to figure out. That little mark on the front is a little weird almost as if it is made to look like something.

solarlottry
04-15-2010, 01:44 AM
I am sure everyone saw that the Montana jersey sold for 8000! Does anyone have any idea as to why a shirt with no provenance and without a photomatch would sell for that kind of money? Also i tried to photomatch the Sanders shirt and came up with a number of images on Getty that almost matched. The only problem seemed that the last S on the nameplate in the getty image didnt quite match up to the image that GF had up. To their defense the shirt in their image was not flat so it may or may not have been a match. Not quite good enough for me to bid-and it still went for over 1400! I am interested in knowing peoples opinions as to the results of the auction.

skinsfan0521
04-15-2010, 09:39 AM
I wanted this jersey too and looked all over several photo sites for a match, but couldn't find one, so I decided not to bid. I wasn't interested in the Montana and didn't do any research on it, so I don't really know anything about that one.