PDA

View Full Version : Andy Pettitte Jersey on eBay?

Astros7
03-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Not interested in the jersey or the price, but am wondering if the seller is just confused or what is going on with this jersey? Why would he post a picture of the retail tag...6200...and try and say this is a game used jersey? Thoughts?

Seller says he is a dealer who specializes in Astros Memorabilia...how can he make this claim and try to sell this retail coded jersey as game used? Or is there a chance this jersey was used in an MLB game? is size 56 correct for Pettitte?

Astros7
03-31-2010, 03:29 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Andy-Pettitte-Game-Used-Auto-Authentic-06-Astros-Jersey_W0QQitemZ270506797472QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efb7629a0

Sorry, I had forgot the link

suave1477
03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Astros7 I am not an expert in Astros Jerseys or Pettittes size. But regarding your question about the wash code.

You are correct in most cases you would not find a retail code on a game used jersey but there have been known instances where it has happened.

Example - When Angel Berroa was called up for the Yankees and they were on the road he wore a retail Jersey.

As this is not a common trait, it is possible.

hrvatwill
03-31-2010, 06:39 PM
I have a "red brick" game used Pettitte jersey which is a size 50; I also had a Yankees spring training jersey which was a size 52; hope this is helpful.

ziggy
03-31-2010, 10:03 PM
No chance he wore a 56

Astros7
04-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Just an FYI to anyone who cares, I e-mailed the seller and got this reply....I would stay as far away from this as possible!

Obviously its not what you would expect given a normal gu jersey. I don't really have a whole lot of proof... other than my story. When Pettitte was an Astro, i asked him consistently for a jersey and he said that he would give me one. I never really expected it... but the day after the end of the season, i went to the stadium on my lunch break when several of the players went back to the stadium to clean out their lockers. I went there to get autographs and possibly some other stuff from rumors I had heard from other auto seekers. I got several autographs from Tavaras, oswalt, and then I saw pettitte walking up from below on the car entrance at the back of the stadium. I asked him again about the jersey and he remembered me from before. He then unzipped a hanging bag that had several jerseys in it and pulled out this jersey and handed it to me. At the time i never knew about gu / tagging etc... and was just excited to get it. I got it autographed a year or two later when the yankees came to Houston in an interleague game as he was walking out of the diamond club area. I talked w/ a well known GU Guru in the houston area and he told me that it is not uncommon to give items such as this that dont conform to normal gu standards but it wouldnt have the normal GU market / price / appeal... it is considered a gift to a friend. After knowing this, i wouldn't be surprised if he used this bigger jersey maybe b/c it is more comfortable for warm-ups etc? Honestly I dont really know why it would exhibit so much use and not be his normal size or tagging? I guess part of the reliance would have to be on me and my story... I know it is probably not worth the full asking price of the auction given the uncertainty... but it is "AN AWESOME JERSEY!" so... that is probably the best I can explain about this jersey. thanks,