PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Jerseys....Sign or Not to Sign

Kong's Landing
03-31-2010, 09:59 PM
:eek: Does anyone have an opinion about getting Game Used Jerseys signed or to keep them unsigned? I believe it's probably about 50/50 pros & cons either way & probably the same on the fabric vs. on numbers autographs.

Just wanted to get some opinions out there.
Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Erik Bakalar " Kong nut since 76' "

nonsportwax@sbcglobal.net

Rob L
03-31-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm partial to having them signed, but I think there are probably more that don't like it (more like 30% pro, 70% con).

spartakid
03-31-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd fall in the 70%. Getting it signed obviously alter it, and I like to keep my items the way they came off the field. It's really just personal preference. If you are going to keep it, then you should do whatever you want to. If you do get it signed, I would get it on the numbers, not the fabric, and use a good pen. If possible, I think getting it inscribed "game used" makes it more appealing to collectors.

scootmagroot
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
If i dont get it signed....i get rid of it. Id much rather have it signed

Manram
03-31-2010, 10:59 PM
I personally only buy unsigned game used items. For some reason don't like signed game used items

Dewey2007
03-31-2010, 11:12 PM
:eek: Does anyone have an opinion about getting Game Used Jerseys signed or to keep them unsigned? I believe it's probably about 50/50 pros & cons either way & probably the same on the fabric vs. on numbers autographs.

Just wanted to get some opinions out there.
Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Erik Bakalar " Kong nut since 76' "

nonsportwax@sbcglobal.net

I'm not a big fan of signed jerseys but if a jersey is signed when I get it I don't mind to much. I would never get a jersey signed unless the situation was right. Make sure that the athlete is not going to be rushed or in a situation where they might screw up the signature. Also, I prefer signatures on the number and my preference is no "game used" inscriptions. I think these inscriptions make items look kinda silly. Why do you need the person signing to put game used when you already know that and I don't think it adds to the jerseys authenticity. Also, I would be hard pressed to get a vintage jersey signed in fear of it getting screwed up somehow but it really comes down to what you want since it's your item. I don't think you will go wrong with whatever you choose to do.

Preston
04-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Me personally, I don't ever buy SIGNED game used items because if I ever want to get them signed, I want to have that choice. I think some look great signed, and some are perfectly fine if they're left unsigned.

And I totally agree about getting it signed in a non-rushed situation...the last thing you want is to have them screw up the signature or give a sloppy one on quite possibly a one of a kind item.

legaleagle92481
04-01-2010, 12:36 AM
this is at least the third seperate time a recent thread has addressed this topic. personally i think a gamer is best as it came off the field meaning unwashed and unsigned. when you get it signed to me loses something and if i wanted a signed jersey i would just buy a cheap one from sports authority to get signed. i have purchased jerseys already signed because they were hard to find but i would never get one of mine signed.

Lokee
04-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I have a few Jersey's and stuff that I plan on keeping and those I got signed. If iam buying something to turn a profit on I would not get it signed and leave that up to the new owner.

skyking26
04-01-2010, 09:53 AM
The thread creator and I will be attending the same signing in 2 weeks.

For 30+ years I have gotten GU bats and jerseys signed. I like it myself. For NNOB jerseys I have them signed on the front, and for NOB jerseys I have them signed on back. I have only used the numbers on a dark green or black jersey for obvious reasons.

I will be getting a number of gamers signed in 2 weeks. My dilemma is the issue of numbers vs. fabric where the auto is placed. The number is 26, so to jam what is usually a large sig in these non-straight numbers and then add a brief inscription makes it difficult, so I'm leaning on "under the number."

All my jerseys have been signed on fabric before save for the dark jersey incident and they looked fine.

It's definately something to think about when you are discussing a $1500-2000 jersey!!

tigerdale
04-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I like unsigned too....but I'm not against the signed ones though. I think the signature on the numbers began with dealers...they would get players to sign there numbers & make up the jerseys as needed. I had autograph collectors tell me they would only buy signed jerseys if it was on the jersey, not the number, because they knew the player actually signed the jersey, & not just a number added to a jersey later.

skyking26
04-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I like unsigned too....but I'm not against the signed ones though. I think the signature on the numbers began with dealers...they would get players to sign there numbers & make up the jerseys as needed. I had autograph collectors tell me they would only buy signed jerseys if it was on the jersey, not the number, because they knew the player actually signed the jersey, & not just a number added to a jersey later.
Excellent point... Dale I'm still looking for that get-together my son...:D

Mulligans
04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I absolutely love to get my GU Jerseys signed! It is one of the few times that a professional athlete will give you the time of day! You get an opportunity to talk about when it was worn, where you got it etc. I have tons of great stories where this has happened and the player totally opens up to you.

Having said that, there is a ton of stress involved in the process......Where does he sign?.....What color or style of marker?....Gotta get my camera out without being rude.....What if he screws it up?.......

Now for private signings....I will never do it again! I have horror stories about bad signatures, bad markers, bad signature locations etc. In some cases, the Jersey has really lost its charm!

Funny Story....2 Months ago, I had Marco Sturm sign his GU Winter Classic Jersey. He loved it and loved talking about the event! This weekend, I showed up at another Sturm signing with a huge bag of stuff to have him sign. He takes one look at me and says....Oh my God....are you stalking me? Of course he was joking and remembered me well! I had his Winter Classic stick, gloves, helmet and pants and he thought that it was an absolute riot. It certainly made my day and I think that's what makes it so much fun to have your stuff signed!:D

skyking26
04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
I absolutely love to get my GU Jerseys signed! It is one of the few times that a professional athlete will give you the time of day! You get an opportunity to talk about when it was worn, where you got it etc. I have tons of great stories where this has happened and the player totally opens up to you.

Having said that, there is a ton of stress involved in the process......Where does he sign?.....What color or style of marker?....Gotta get my camera out without being rude.....What if he screws it up?.......

Now for private signings....I will never do it again! I have horror stories about bad signatures, bad markers, bad signature locations etc. In some cases, the Jersey has really lost its charm!

Funny Story....2 Months ago, I had Marco Sturm sign his GU Winter Classic Jersey. He loved it and loved talking about the event! This weekend, I showed up at another Sturm signing with a huge bag of stuff to have him sign. He takes one look at me and says....Oh my God....are you stalking me? Of course he was joking and remembered me well! I had his Winter Classic stick, gloves, helmet and pants and he thought that it was an absolute riot. It certainly made my day and I think that's what makes it so much fun to have your stuff signed!:D
I agree Mulligan. My stuff will stay with me til I kick off. I'm 46 now. I look at a jersey as being retired once I get it, and the signature is placed on by the athlete and you get their feedback...

Mattapan03
04-01-2010, 03:16 PM
My preference is no, but I wouldnt mind it in certain instances