PDA

View Full Version : Rod Carew '77 Topps contract and Joe Cronin contract

skipcarayislegend
04-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Would anyone happen to know a ballpark value of both these? I picked them up along with some other stuff as part of a larger collection, although my expertise isn't in this area.

The Rod Carew Topps card contract is signed by Carew (his full name) and dated. It's for 1977, his MVP year.

The other one is a scout's contract signed by Joe Cronin and the scout, Joe Lutz. It's from the 60s.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

skyking26
04-02-2010, 09:27 AM
I bought Dave Kingman's 1976 contract when with Mets a few years ago for $150...so that might help as a gauge. Being that it's Carew and an MVP year, I'd think it's value would be considerable...

skipcarayislegend
04-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks, Robert.

Dewey2007
04-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Would anyone happen to know a ballpark value of both these? I picked them up along with some other stuff as part of a larger collection, although my expertise isn't in this area.

The Rod Carew Topps card contract is signed by Carew (his full name) and dated. It's for 1977, his MVP year.

The other one is a scout's contract signed by Joe Cronin and the scout, Joe Lutz. It's from the 60s.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I picked up Chris Speier's very first Topps contract awhile back and paid $60 for it. While Speier is obviously no Carew I would have to think that a contract like this from a HOFer's MVP year might be worth a couple of hundred bucks to a Carew or Twins collector. Nice pickup!

skipcarayislegend
04-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks Dewey! They're both pretty neat. I'll try and remember to post a couple scans when I get home.

gnishiyama
04-02-2010, 02:55 PM
A bit OT since my question isn't related to a card company contract but
are there any legalities involving owning an original or photo copy of a
player contract? I own a photocopy of a current superstar player/ team
contract (about 15 pages long)
I've been cautious to even bring it out and show it around because I am
afraid I may get sued by said player.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Goh Nishiyama

Dewey2007
04-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks
Goh Nishiyama

Is the player still playing under the terms of the contract you have a copy of? If not, then I think everything should be OK as long as no personal information (SSN, Home Address, etc.) that maybe on the contract is made public. (I have no legal knowledge of stuff like this so this is just my personal opinion)

gnishiyama
04-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Hello Dewey,
The player is on the same team per not under the contract he's under
since he has since renewed. Theres no personal info like SS# or address
but its very detailed in terms of perks and incentives.

Thanks
Goh

Dewey2007
04-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Hello Dewey,
The player is on the same team per not under the contract he's under
since he has since renewed. Theres no personal info like SS# or address
but its very detailed in terms of perks and incentives.

Thanks
Goh

Hi Goh, I wouldn't worry about posting it since he's not under the current terms of the contract anymore. Now it's just another piece of paper with some historical significance.

Best,
Dewey

skipcarayislegend
04-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Here are some photos. The Cronin KC A's contract is from 1962.

gnishiyama
04-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi Dewey,
Thank you for your advice. I'm glad there is no legal issues but I still believe
there is a morality issue since its a player contract and there is a lot of
personal financial information on there. It kind of feels like having your tax
returns or paystub exposed to the world.

I am only talking about player-team contracts. The Topps contract and other
memorabilia contracts I think make a great collectible and display.

Thanks
Goh

WadeInBmore
04-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Goh...

I would imagine that because the player is represented by the MLBPA that the payment knowledge is transparent; as in common knowledge for those in the business of playing baseball for a living as it would help to influence other contracts around the league. I would also think that the information was/is made public at press releases for the team/player. A lot of the information in those contracts can be found online if you do a search for it especially base salaries. I wouldn't worry about sharing it. The fact that it doesn't have any "important" info on it is even more gooder for when/if you do decide to share. No lawyer, just my thinking out loud.

wade

gnishiyama
04-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone for their input and advice and I apologize
to the original poster for going OT.
Thanks
Goh

sox83cubs84
04-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks
Goh Nishiyama

Goh:

The security issues you cite are a reason some current MLB players will no longer sign unlined index cards...the concern is having the signature reproduced for identity theft purposes.

Dave M.
Chicago area

David
04-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I would guess the Topps contract is worth $200-$275. It's an autograph that is desirable to baseball card collectors.

David
04-04-2010, 01:43 PM
The only time I've heard players having issues with the sale of old contracts is when the social security numbers could be seen in the auction images. Even then, they didn't sue but asked the contracts to be pulled. I've never heard of a collector being sued over this type of issue.

David
04-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I should also add that I once had a few player contracts with the players' SSL numbers on them. I actually took a pen and blocked them out before resale. I of course never otherwise mark or alter an item, but figured this was the best thing to do.