PDA

View Full Version : Is it Game Worn?

Mulligans
04-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I know that this topic has come up before but couldn't really find solid information through my search. If a player dresses for a game but does not play, is it, and should it be considered "Game Used"?

Do you find that most auction houses follow the same set of guidelines?

How does it hurt the value of an item if it is highlighted as "Game worn", but the player did not step onto the court/ice/field?

legaleagle92481
04-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I know that this topic has come up before but couldn't really find solid information through my search. If a player dresses for a game but does not play, is it, and should it be considered "Game Used"?

Do you find that most auction houses follow the same set of guidelines?

How does it hurt the value of an item if it is highlighted as "Game worn", but the player did not step onto the court/ice/field?

In my opinion it is not game worn because to me gameworn requires actually playing in the game. Otherwise I feel it is bench or dugout worn. I think if the player wore it while the game was on though most people auction houses, dealers, collectors consider it game worn. Prices depend on alot of things. Collectors like myself who love jerseys that show alot of use will not buy them because they obviously will not show dirt stains, hit marks, grass stains etc. Also it cannot be photomatched so people who collect that will stay away.

BorchertField
04-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't believe that there is any set definition. Should be, but there isn't.

Personally, if a player dresses for the game, I'd call that "game worn." If he sits in the dugout or stands on the sideline (where he could easily be photographed for matching), that counts in my book.

But this again is where an actual industry standard would help. Two replies, two different interpretations of the term.

soxfan
04-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I agree with both opinions...technically.

The unfortunate part of this side of the hobby becoming so big, is that now everything and anything that was even in the vacinity of an actual professional league game (mlb, nfl, nhl and nba) have become "game-used" memorabilia.

I am partial to the items that show great use and have more than 1/2 inning worth of use and are not the same bat (for example) that 300 other people have. That is why I am a huge fan of collecting MiLB gear from my local team here in Vancouver...with the hope that someday, one or two of the players will hit the majors at some point.

Although I will never stray from being a "game used/worn" collector, it does anger me that there is anything and everything being sold as "game used" memorabilia....it deminishes, in my opinion, the category of "game used memorabilia"....

Just my 2 cents on a rainy Friday morning...

Jeremy
macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

Mulligans
04-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Sorry about the rain....finally 75 and Sunny in Bean Town!

Here is the reason for my inquirey. Normally, I would not purchase a Jersey unless I knew that the the Jersey was "Game Used" and the player actually played in the game. I just purchased the Tim Thomas Olympic Goalie Jersey and was almost certain it was the game that he saw ice time. Well.....Burried in the small print from the NHL/Meigray, I just realized that he did not play in the game.

As much as I would have liked to see Meigray do a better job of posting the information in the heading, I do accept full responsibility for my oversight. If anything, maybe Barry will read this with hopes of displaying the "critical" information better. Maybe it could say "Game Worn", but "the player did not play" in the heading?

I'm not exactly Euphoric about my purchase, but I guess that I should be happy to own a good piece of Hockey History!

beavisrules
04-02-2010, 03:53 PM
In my opinion it is not game worn because to me gameworn requires actually playing in the game.

legal, I am going to disagree with you when it comes to football jerseys. Let me give you an actual example of a jersey I own that I do consider "game worn". In 2002, Notre Dame wore green jerseys versus Boston College. I own a jersey from that game that was worn by a freshman offensive lineman. The jersey is a 1 of 1 - there was one set that year that was green, although I can not confirm absolutely whether the starters had a back-up jersey available or not; I don't believe so (there were extra number 3 jerseys made up for VIP distribution, however). That freshman did not actually play a real snap in that game; however, he wore that jersey while standing with the team on the sidelines and in warm-ups, was listed on the official roster, and could have been told by the coach at any minute to go play in the game (aka he was not an "inactive" or injured player). Thus, the player wore that actual jersey on his back for the game - that's a real game worn jersey for me. If a back-up QB does not play but is wearing the jersey and is eligible to come in at a moments notice, that is a game worn jersey to me. Everyone obviously is entitled to their own opinions, of course; but that's my thoughts.

Mulligans
04-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I do agree that the Jersey worn on the side line/Bench is absolutely Game worn. I'm willing to bet that a 375 # lineman who warms up for an hour at 85 degrees and never sees a play sweats more than a Kicker who only gets to attempt 1 extra point during the game! In the case of the Olympic Jersey and others, it can still be photomatched and could go into the game at any time.

I also agree, that if it doesn't make it into the game, then it will lose some of its "potential" value. Case in point, the Thomas Jersey in question sold at a price well below all of the others.

shafrancollectibles.com
04-02-2010, 09:54 PM
I think you did just fine with the Thomas (I am guessing you bought the jersey from the white set). Thomas would have seen "action" during the pre-game warmup and the jersey was on his back during the game as he was the one and only dressed backup. The 1960 retro set jersey sold for over 2.5x the price of the white one as well and Thomas did not get into that game either.