PDA

View Full Version : MLB Opening Day Baseballs?

cardinals0103
04-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I was under the assumption that Major League Baseball uses special baseballs with an Opening Day logo baseball for opening day??
I went to the Yankees Red Sox game sunday night and got a foul ball hit near the camera well and the ball was just a normal ball.

This was my first opening day but didn't MLB use/use to have the specially logoed baseballs?

Reason I ask is because I was really pumped to get that ball thinking it was an opening day one but turned out to be a normal ball that they use all season.

ballhawknet
04-05-2010, 08:58 PM
[ I was really pumped to get that ball thinking it was an opening day one but turned out to be a normal ball that they use all season.[/quote]

GOD I HATE THAT FEELING !!!!

I dont know why ...saving money ?.....but mlb has really disappointed me
with the lack of commemorative baseballs the last 10 years. And this years opening day ball looks exactly like 2009's ....
and 2008's
and 2007's
and 2006's ( which is the last year I think they were used in the game)

ugh ...and even worse is that they are only used as ceremonial first pitches....so unless your the teams rookie designated to that role of catcher for such pitches .....your not going to catch one. :(

i DO HAVE A STORY ABOUT AN OPENING DAY BALL.....WANT TO HEAR IT?

GREAT !

2006 in Cincinatti Pesident Bush was there to toss out the first pitch and
somehow during the game I managed to get a great standing spot just off to the left of home plate in the lower level. There were about 5-6 secret servicemen standing along side the railing so I just stood next to them ....I had a chicago police hat on so maybe thats why I didnt get the boot ? ...lol.

I had my glove of course , and I exaplined to one of the secret service guys how I was going to catch a foul ball....and I told him about the special logo...( i had already looked at another foul ball so I knew they were beign used) So when Todd Walker fouled one right to me , I snagged it....on the fly ....got the applause and all from the crowd ...
the secret service men looked at me and one said " lets see the logo ".
I replied ..show me the uzi ...and HE DID by opening his overcoat.
Pretty damn cool !!. Although I think he said they werent uzi's anymore?

And just after that I got the boot from my spot :(

LastingsMilledge85
04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
From the few games I watched today I didn't see any Opening Day logos, but I bet the Mets have a few for BP :D. God only knows what that team has for BP.

Ollie
04-06-2010, 06:16 AM
i DO HAVE A STORY ABOUT AN OPENING DAY BALL.....WANT TO HEAR IT?

GREAT !

2006 in Cincinatti Pesident Bush was there to toss out the first pitch and
somehow during the game I managed to get a great standing spot just off to the left of home plate in the lower level. There were about 5-6 secret servicemen standing along side the railing so I just stood next to them ....I had a chicago police hat on so maybe thats why I didnt get the boot ? ...lol.

I had my glove of course , and I exaplined to one of the secret service guys how I was going to catch a foul ball....and I told him about the special logo...( i had already looked at another foul ball so I knew they were beign used) So when Todd Walker fouled one right to me , I snagged it....on the fly ....got the applause and all from the crowd ...
the secret service men looked at me and one said " lets see the logo ".
I replied ..show me the uzi ...and HE DID by opening his overcoat.
Pretty damn cool !!. Although I think he said they werent uzi's anymore?

And just after that I got the boot from my spot :(

Now that sir, is one awesome story!!!

tigerdale
04-06-2010, 06:24 AM
MLB seems to have been hit & miss weather they used opening day baseballs over the years, seems to me the first ones I noticed were around 2000 & the last time I saw any was 2006...

mbrieve
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I was looking at some Opening Day pictures and found this:

Johnny Bench before throwing the first pitch...looks like a logo ball???
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/bench01.jpg

Zoom and rotate, sure enough
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/bench02.jpg

Hope this helps! Also, a bunch of other great high quality Opening Day photos on this flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24420819@N06/

lehmsbobby
04-06-2010, 09:37 PM
i was at the first two pre season games at the twins' new target field and got tossed a ball above the twins dugout. The ball has an opening year logo which is pretty cool.

hope this helps

ballhawknet
04-07-2010, 12:26 AM
i was at the first two pre season games at the twins' new target field and got tossed a ball above the twins dugout. The ball has an opening year logo which is pretty cool.

hope this helps

Im glad to hear that ! Was not usre if they had started using the
inaugural Target Field balls yet or if they were waiting until the actual
opening day next week.

Now I just have to cross my fingers they still have some in supply when
their road trip reaches Chicago on Friday :) . Usually they only bring so
many with them for bp....then replenish from the home team. So with 4 games at the Angels prior to the Sox im probably going to be out of luck
:(

allstarsplus
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
In 2009, most teams didn't get their shipments of the Opening Day logo'd balls.

I hope this year they all had them!

tigerdale
04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
I asked Marc & he said the Tigers didn't have an opening day logo on the baseballs.

indyred
04-14-2010, 02:57 PM
One is up on MLB.com auctions with the opening day logo from Dodgers-Pirates game....
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=118482541&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=118829251

anyone know if the Twins used Opening Day logo Balls in first game at Target Field vs Boston? or did they use new Target Field logo balls. I did hear the Twins did get first home run ball from the new stadium from the kid that got it.

SteelCity
04-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Here's the story on the Opening Days. Not trying to pimp/spam our little site, if preferred I'll just copy and paste the details. Been watching this forum for a long time and I can't help but contribute when my favorite topic comes up (Official Comm. Gamers)

Anyway, I spoke with a Rawlings contact and was informed these would simply be used for Ceremonial 1st Pitch. Can't really explain that one that looks game rubbed that's up for auction though. Ya never know, maybe a few slipped into play? Or maybe they actually rubbed some up for 1st pitch? Really don't know. Here's my take:

http://www.bigleaguebaseballs.com/main/2010-opening-day-baseball/

indyred
04-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Here's the story on the Opening Days. Not trying to pimp/spam our little site, if preferred I'll just copy and paste the details. Been watching this forum for a long time and I can't help but contribute when my favorite topic comes up (Official Comm. Gamers)

Anyway, I spoke with a Rawlings contact and was informed these would simply be used for Ceremonial 1st Pitch. Can't really explain that one that looks game rubbed that's up for auction though. Ya never know, maybe a few slipped into play? Or maybe they actually rubbed some up for 1st pitch? Really don't know. Here's my take:

http://www.bigleaguebaseballs.com/main/2010-opening-day-baseball/

Cool site. Great info. Maybe that LA-Pitt game used ball will get some big action, if in fact most opening day Logo balls were not supposed to be put in game play.

cardinals0103
06-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Haven't been on lately and totally forgot about my post dating all the way back to April. lol

Kinda disappointed that some teams did have the 2010 Opening Day logoed balls in play and some didn't. Would have been awesome if they would've used them for the opening day game i went to.

Now the ball I got looks like every other GU baseball I have. blah.

lakeerie92
06-21-2010, 10:20 PM
I bought the LA vs PIT game used ball from MLB auctions and it is the only one I have seen with the Opening Day logo that is authenticated by MLB. I went to the Braves Cubs opening day game and they used regular baseballs too. Maybe that will make the ball worth what I paid for it.

indyred
07-02-2010, 10:14 PM
I bought the LA vs PIT game used ball from MLB auctions and it is the only one I have seen with the Opening Day logo that is authenticated by MLB. I went to the Braves Cubs opening day game and they used regular baseballs too. Maybe that will make the ball worth what I paid for it.

Nice pick up. Surprised it didn't get much action considering it may be the only one like it authenticated to be game used.