PDA

View Full Version : MLB Test Fabric Jerseys

island_style
07-04-2006, 05:54 AM
Greetings, Forum members.

Does anyone know if the MLB jerseys designated as Test Fabric ever saw game time during the regular season? Or, were these jerseys used in spring training as a beta test for the manufacturer? I have a Majestic Dodgers jersey with a vertical DOD 0062 Test Fabric tag sewn beneath the bottom button. The material resembles that of the batting practice jersey (maybe slightly heavier), but the jersey is a home version. The jersey has the characteristics of a team-issued jersey: 0062 tag inside the waist and a size 50 tag sewn with the Majestic Authentic Collection tag on the lower left front tail. Thanks.

bigtime59
07-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Perhaps the Dodgers were trying out a different fabric. Majestic does provide game jerseys in a couple of different fabrics (not counting the new "cool" fabric). The Orioles, as well as the Cubs and Cardinals wear a heavier, softer knit than many of the other teams. The Blue Jays also used this fabric in 2001. The Orioles 2000 Majestic jerseys were standard weight, but very rough to the touch.
My oddball jersey is a 2001 Marlins BP. 0006 tagging, standard sewn on jock tag of the period--but the jersey isn't mesh. It looks like it may have been a trial run for the BP jersey fabric introduced in 2003, but it's heavier, and frankly nicer, than the early 2003 version, which was quickly abandoned for what they're wearing now. It's a gorgeous jersey, and a look the Marlins should seriously reconsider for their black alternates.
Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

bigtime59
07-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Can somebody up the foodchain delete the first paragraph of my reply? I read the original post, ran off to check my Marlins jersey, and then wrote without re-reading the original post.
Kind of a knucklehead move on my part...
A question that will make sense, however, is: is the Dodgers jersey year tagged, or do you know what year it's from?

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

island_style
07-04-2006, 04:23 PM
The jersey is not year-tagged, but I believe it's from the 2004 season. It has the name on the back of a player who last played for them in '04, and that was the last season the team wore NOB's (however, NOB's will return in 2007).