PDA

View Full Version : practice items

mbenga28
04-09-2010, 12:39 PM
are practice worn/used items technically considered as being "game used" for years I didn't quite understand why batting practice jerseys are referred to as being "game used" while not being used in the actual game itself, just during practice.

otismalibu
04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Same could be said for NBA warmups. :)

Manram
04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Well they are not technically "game used", because they were used in practice. But the player did wear the item

mbenga28
04-09-2010, 12:51 PM

do you mean like jackets and pants because they did still wear that on the bench during the game, so I would consider those game used. but like with baseball, you don't see bp hats or bp jerseys during the games.

godwulf
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Sometimes so-called BP jerseys are also one of the team's alternate game jerseys. This is especially true in the minors, but I've seen instances of it in the majors, as well.

An even better question, imo, is how a "special" jersey - be it Jackie Robinson Day, TBTC, Hispanic Heritage, Armed Forces, or what-have-you - can be called "Game Used" when the player whose jersey it was didn't play on the day it was worn.

otismalibu
04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
do you mean like jackets and pants because they did still wear that on the bench during the game, so I would consider those game used. but like with baseball, you don't see bp hats or bp jerseys during the games.

Yeah, on the bench, but not during any game action.

I've got nothing against NBA warmups, but they're all "warmup worn" or "pine worn".

About the only significant NBA warmups I can come up with (and it's a stretch) are maybe the jacket Bird wore to win the 3-point contest and the one Willis Reed was wearing when he limped up the tunnel.

LastingsMilledge85
04-09-2010, 01:20 PM
If it's anything practice then there is no way it can be game used because where does the word "game" fit into the description of the use of the jersey. I have two BP jerseys and one I know was used in many games during ST.

Mulligans
04-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I always call practice stuff "Game Used".....I have bought a bunch of Practice Jerseys from MLB Auctions and they refer to practice items something like this "Game Used Batting Practice Jersey". As far as I'm concerned, if the player is wearing on the the field, on the day of the game, then it is Game used.

When I got an Olympic Jersey from Meigrey. It was worn to warm up, it never made it into the game, but it is still referred to as "Game Worn".

If I purchase a practice Jersey from the NHL, Its called a Game Worn Practice Jersey. I don't always agree with this example, but have seen it as a description.

Considering that I buy almost all my stuff from MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA, If its OK with them, then its OK with me.:D

skipcarayislegend
04-09-2010, 01:49 PM

...and managers and coaches (although I do consider those jerseys to be game used). ;)

Practice-worn and spring training gear are all in the same boat, personally. To me, game worn means worn-in-games-that-count, so ST and BP are one in the same.

LastingsMilledge85
04-09-2010, 02:38 PM
It depends on how you want to look at the entire picture. If you want to get technical game used would be anything used during a game, which could go as far as the gum the players use or the sodas the fans drink :D. IMO, game used is any piece of equipment a player used during that game whether they saw action or not.

flaco1801
04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
same reason you park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway

legaleagle92481
04-09-2010, 10:57 PM
I have a very, very restrictive defintion of game used and it excludes everything that was not worn while playing an actual game. to me you dress but did not play you item is bench or sideline worn. the stuff you wear while sitting on the bench or the sideline is also bench or sideline worn i.e. jackets, caps for qbs, etc. managers and coaches stuff is not game used because they did not play in the game. practice worn stuff is practice worn. pregame stuff is pregame worn. spring training and preseason worn is just that. alot of collectors have a different defintion but i think it plays out in the values of the items. notice meigray sells an ovi practice jersey for 1,200 they sell one worn during actual games for 7,500. you could buy over 6 practice jerseys for the price of that one used in a game. steiner for their yanks and sox items also prices their bp and spring training jerseys for a fraction of the cost of ones worn in a game. the prices realized in auctions show a similar trend. think how you would feel if you bought say a baseball bat and the seller said it was "game used" and it turned out that it was only used for BP how happy would you be?

godwulf
04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
think how you would feel if you bought say a baseball bat and the seller said it was "game used" and it turned out that it was only used for BP how happy would you be?

Unless you've got a photo match, or you (or someone you trust) saw the bat actually being used in a game, you don't know. It could have all the use on it in the world - ballmarks, deadwood, spike marks, etc - and still have been "just" a BP bat.

I've got a few of Luis Gonzalez' bats with an asterick or two on the knob, and he has told me that those were his gamers, and I've got a few other bats that I have good reason to believe are, too, but aside from that, let's be honest - who can really know?

Truth be told, there is more than just a trace of wishful thinking involved in this hobby.