PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Jones Game Used Bat

jetersbatboy
04-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Bat is pounded an broken in two. The bat has bin repaired and is missing a small sliver on the lower handle. The bat has heavey tar on the lower handle, deep seam impressions, and Chipper #10 written on the knob and top of the barrel. It also comes with a team LOA and price tag.

$465/OBO Shipping is $12 to con. US.

jetersbatboy
04-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Would like to move quickly so fell free to make a offer.

nationals2k9
04-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Is this the bat that was $199 or so BIN on eBay a couple of weeks back?

ryantex
04-11-2010, 12:51 AM
what year is this bat? Could you show a photo of the end with date stamp?

jetersbatboy
04-11-2010, 01:04 AM

jetersbatboy
04-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Sold!:D

skipcarayislegend
04-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Is this the bat that was $199 or so BIN on eBay a couple of weeks back?

Nationals, curious why you wanted to know that? I have no stake in the bat either way. I've just noticed that people here often like to point out past prices, especially if there's a potential profit involved. Other than "warning" others about a (gasp!) profit, I've never understood the purpose. Thanks.

nationals2k9
04-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Nationals, curious why you wanted to know that? I have no stake in the bat either way. I've just noticed that people here often like to point out past prices, especially if there's a potential profit involved. Other than "warning" others about a (gasp!) profit, I've never understood the purpose. Thanks.

Mainly because owning the bat for just a couple weeks doesn't signal to me that the seller had a genuine interest in keeping it. I'd like to think we all collect with the intent of keeping what we buy. I'd like to think I'm not the only one that would think asking $465 for a bat that was $199 isn't easy on the eyes. It screams, "I got it first.... now I'm going to turn around and sell it to someone who really wanted it." My view may be tainted by never having profited on something I moved that I decided not to keep. The only profits I've ever turned are on items someone flat out made a tremendous offer on that weren't technically for sale.

I'm not trying to call anyone out and ultimately people can do whatever they want. I guess I'm just challenging both the seller and potential buyer by shedding some light on what I think I know. I thought this forum at least would want to take care of other forum members by offering decent deals on items that need to be moved. This isn't supposed to be a platform for flat out making money in my opinion.

nationals2k9
04-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Mainly because owning the bat for just a couple weeks doesn't signal to me that the seller had a genuine interest in keeping it. I'd like to think we all collect with the intent of keeping what we buy. I'd like to think I'm not the only one that would think asking $465 for a bat that was $199 isn't easy on the eyes. It screams, "I got it first.... now I'm going to turn around and sell it to someone who really wanted it." My view may be tainted by never having profited on something I moved that I decided not to keep. The only profits I've ever turned are on items someone flat out made a tremendous offer on that weren't technically for sale.

I'm not trying to call anyone out and ultimately people can do whatever they want. I guess I'm just challenging both the seller and potential buyer by shedding some light on what I think I know. I thought this forum at least would want to take care of other forum members by offering decent deals on items that need to be moved. This isn't supposed to be a platform for flat out making money in my opinion.

That said, we have no idea if a "best offer" was made and have no right to know what that offer may have been. I guess I'm the type that would rather put as many facts on the table as possible for everyone to evaluate than sit here on the sidelines and assume everyone knows and sees the same things.

skipcarayislegend
04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
I respect your opinion and to a certain degree can empathize with your point of view. Let me offer another side to this. I've never been a dealer, but as an occasional seller, these days I just don't see much that separates the traditional dealers from regular ebay sellers/auction consignors like me. (Not to mention most of us now have practically the same access to team "contacts," unlike 20+ years ago.)

Personally, I have no problem with anyone on this forum or elsewhere who wants to try and make a profit. If you paid a nickle for a bat and can turn it for $5k, great for you. Wish it were me. I do agree with the $500 limit in the for-sale section. But limiting/monitoring the profit margins is too much since frankly it's no one's business. Likewise a person's reason(s) for selling is no one's business.

In order for me to stay involved in this hobby, I need to find creative ways to make it happen. Since withholding "hobby" money out of paychecks isn't an option for us, I have to find other ways to do it. One that's worked fine for me is buying and selling stuff. For example, if I can buy 12 bats at a good price, I'll sell 10 to pay for the two. For me it's not about supplementing the income, it's about adding to my collection without it impacting the family budget.

As a buyer, I have no problem with someone asking whatever they want for their stuff. If it's too high, it won't sell. It's not my place to question their tactics. Profits don't frighten me or anger me. Happens everywhere. What makes me mad are forgers and sellers/auction houses with bad attitudes. ;)

BULBUS
04-14-2010, 09:52 AM
In order for me to stay involved in this hobby, I need to find creative ways to make it happen. Since withholding "hobby" money out of paychecks isn't an option for us, I have to find other ways to do it. One that's worked fine for me is buying and selling stuff. For example, if I can buy 12 bats at a good price, I'll sell 10 to pay for the two. For me it's not about supplementing the income, it's about adding to my collection without it impacting the family budget.

Totally agree with everything skip says here. If it wasn't for finding deals on ebay and other sites and "flipping" them, I wouldn't be in this hobby.

If you take the time and sort through the countless trash and find a rare gem on ebay, then you deserve to make a profit :D

nationals2k9
04-14-2010, 09:55 AM
That makes perfect sense too. I didn't need to say anything and don't feel like my opinion is always the right one. The problem is and always will be the people that put the fake stuff into this hobby and those that blindly endorse it like the auction houses you mention. Sort of like you, I sell things to justify buying something else.... I just commonly don't profit from it. But at the end of the day, I have no huge problem with it.

nationals2k9
04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
If you take the time and sort through the countless trash and find a rare gem on ebay, then you deserve to make a profit :D[/quote]

Good point. And sense we all essentially have access to teams now, it takes even more random luck to make a buck.

chipperhank44
04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm actually the guy who bought the bat, and I was aware that the bat was bought for $199 because it was initially listed as an auction and I put it on my watch list, then it was sold. I bought the bat for what I consider a fair price and I can't really blame the guy for re-selling it. I've seen him on the site looking for Matsui bats and other stuff so my best guess is the extra $$ he made on the bat will go toward his collection. I'm more than happy to pay a fair price for a bat and help a fellow collector at the same time.

legaleagle92481
04-14-2010, 10:47 AM
My view is that there is nothing wrong with buying cheap and selling high. The line between dealer and hobbyist looking to make a profit has blurred like it never has before. With sites like Ebay and everyone's equal access to team contacts I cannot see how many fulltime dealers stay in business. That being said I also do not see anything wrong with full disclosure and what nationals2k said. If an item went for a certain price in an auction it is very possible that in the future other items will sell in that range. Not everyone is up on typical auction selling prices and before someone buys it is nice to have all the facts. I would not be happy if I bought something and found out that it had sold for 1/2 the price shortly before. I would not begrude the seller I would just be upset that I probably bought in too high and that if I waited maybe I could have found one cheaper and used the difference to buy something else. But sometimes even knowing that does not matter and one just really wants the item and is willing to buy it anyway. In this case Chipperhank did not get a bad deal at all as the Braves sell Chipper bats no matter the condition at $500 each.