PDA

View Full Version : Railroad Bat

D. Broughman
04-10-2010, 11:44 AM
I have a Railroad Bat from I believe the 1870's. It has N.Y.C.S. on it which I believe is New York City System. It is made from an old Railroad tool. It is 32" long. Looking for any information on bat and a value. Thanks D.

Robert Sanders
04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I have a similar-looking bat that I picked up on eBay 8 or 9 years ago. It is also 32" long with a similar knob, but has 'N.Y.C.L.' ('New York City League'?) stamped on it horizontally in exactly the same fonts. My bat does not have the slight curve to it that yours does either. I am very interested to hear what you find out about the bat, as I had always assumed that my bat came from the late nineteenth or early twentieth century.

Robert Sanders
04-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I should add that stamped on the knob of my bat are two dashes, a circle and three A, two next to each other and one below the left-hand A.

D. Broughman
04-16-2010, 08:05 AM
I found my bat at an antique market in a booth with all kinds of railroad items. The bat was in a bucket of railroad tools and leaning to the side so I think over time the bat became bowed. Here is the response I got from a member of NET54 when I showed the bat on there and more pictures. D.

D. Broughman
04-17-2010, 09:46 AM
I have a similar-looking bat that I picked up on eBay 8 or 9 years ago. It is also 32" long with a similar knob, but has 'N.Y.C.L.' ('New York City League'?) stamped on it horizontally in exactly the same fonts. My bat does not have the slight curve to it that yours does either. I am very interested to hear what you find out about the bat, as I had always assumed that my bat came from the late nineteenth or early twentieth century.

Robert Can you send me a scan of your bat? I would like to see how many different ones I can find. Thanks! D.

So far N.Y.C.S.
N.Y.C.R.R.
N.Y.C.L.

D. Broughman
04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Robert Can you send me a scan of your bat? I would like to see how many different ones I can find. Thanks! D.

So far N.Y.C.S.
N.Y.C.R.R.
N.Y.C.L.

broughman@comcast.net