PDA

View Full Version : Willing to pay over market for Griffey jersey or pay for referral

justinwc80
04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
I am willing to pay over the price seen at recent auctions for Griffey jerseys, most I've seen range from 900-1300. I am willing to pay a good price for a jersey or anyone that can help me complete a deal I would be willing to throw $50 for the help. I am willing for any teams jersey but looking for one that has the correct characteristics or provenance.
Thanks to those who have helped me by answering questions. Through this process I think I'll be a Griffey expert when all is said and done.
You can email me at justinwc80 at yahoo.com

justinwc80
04-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Appreciate any help.

AWA85
04-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Ended up passing on the Mariners one on GF? Saw it ended at $1,400, looked pretty nice but must say I do not know much about Seattle jerseys.

justinwc80
04-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Well there are virtually no pictures of the Mariners wearing those jerseys that I could find so I wasn't even able to style match him wearing it so wasn't real comfortable with it.

Neely8
04-16-2010, 06:26 PM
You have been offered numerous Griffey jerseys but apparently you think all of them are fake. I tried to point out to you that not all jerseys a player wears has the same exact characteristics all of the time so there are good jerseys you probably passed on.

justinwc80
04-16-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure of these "numerous" jerseys except for the one that you had. I've explained that I didn't feel comfortable with your jersey because of the pics that were available on getty images showed that there should have been a embroidered russell r on the sleeve which your jersey did not have. I also found that the majority of his jerseys showed extra length on the customization that your jersey was also missing. I appreciate you offering it but for the reasons I stated to you prior I wasn't comfortable with it. I don't understand the public attack on here but I would think most of the collectors on here have had items they have searched for until they found one they were confident in.

Mulligans
04-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi Justin...I have never puchased a Griffey Jersey, but bid on them constantly with lots of Authentication. Its a relatively easy item to find on Grey Flannel, Heritage, Hunt, Legendary, American Memorabilia etc. keep your eyes open and you will find exactly what you are looking for and I will keep my eyes open and send you the next one that I see. I must admit, you will find quite a wide variety of styles out there as others have suggested.

GOOD LUCK!

Jeff

Danny899
04-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Justin,
I've owned quite a few Griffey jerseys and still have a few. I can assure you that not all of his gamers have the extra length tag. You can purchase authentic Griffey gamers right from the source and they could be void of this tag. I understand your concerns and eventually you will locate the one you like, but don't pass up the opportunity for a great jersey by being one dimensional. Some examples of this are collectors who won't purchase a Rickey Henderson jersey unless its tail has been tailored or cut. Even more narrow minded collectors think that Majestic gamers can only be coded, 0062 and never 6200. Or if the font on a strip tag is crooked or slightly off, then there's no way it can be good. Or it's gotta have a Steiner letter if its a Yanks jersey! These are all gross misconceptions that have allowed some collectors (including myself) to profit from others apprehension. Look at the big picture and you will soon make a purchase you are confident with. Hope this helps!
Dan

justinwc80
04-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback, I'm always working to educate myself. If you have pics of your jerseys I would always appreciate them as I can add them for comparison purchases to the pics I have accumulated. Thanks alot.

Neely8
04-17-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure of these "numerous" jerseys except for the one that you had. I've explained that I didn't feel comfortable with your jersey because of the pics that were available on getty images showed that there should have been a embroidered russell r on the sleeve which your jersey did not have. I also found that the majority of his jerseys showed extra length on the customization that your jersey was also missing. I appreciate you offering it but for the reasons I stated to you prior I wasn't comfortable with it. I don't understand the public attack on here but I would think most of the collectors on here have had items they have searched for until they found one they were confident in.

It's not a public attack nor did I say I offered you "numerous" jerseys. I said you have been offered or researched numerous Griffey jerseys and apparently still have not found one to suit you. My point, which you apparently missed, is that not every single jersey a player wears throughout his career is going to have exactly the same characteristics. Game worn jerseys are not an exact science. That is why I pointed out to you the Reds Felipe Lopez alternate I own which does not have the Running Man patch on the sleeve. Had I not found a picture of him wearing the jersey without that patch most people would think the jersey is bad. That being said, I know where my Griffey came from and have no problem with it's authenticity. Unless you have seen every single photo of Griffey in an 04 alternate, not having the "R" on the sleeve doesn't mean it's bad, just like my Lopez not having the Running Man patch doesn't mean it's bad either. And as Danny899 posted, not all Griffey jerseys have or are tagged extra length so not having that doesn't mean a jersey is not real.

legaleagle92481
04-17-2010, 11:22 AM
contray to what some others say i think you are being smart. certain players like griffey, jordan, montana, ichiro are the subject of alot of fake items. being that they are big ticket purchases and are so popular this is no surprise. but it is better to be safe than sorry so if you are not 100% comfortable you are smart not to buy. eventually you will find one that you are happy with it just takes awhile sometimes.

justinwc80
04-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Look I appreciate the fact that you are confident in your jersey, I'm not calling you into question just because I'm not confident in your jersey. With something that costs as much as his jerseys do I'm not going to make a purchase that I'm not confident in. I would hate to have a jersey hanging there that I have doubts about. I appreciate your comments but I just wasn't comfortable with the jersey.

Leagleagle, I appreciate your words and I'm glad I'm not the only collector would wants to thoroughly research these big ticket items.

I in know way want to come across as getting personal here, I'm just simply trying to find a jersey I've always wanted and one that I can be confident in.

Thanks to all those who have offered their expertise and insight. I've learned alot from you guys and hope to pass on this knowledge to other collectors as well.

mariner_gamers
04-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Justin I applaud you for being diligent. What you are learning through countless hours of research is Griffey did NOT, in fact, wear 7 jerseys every game as a Mariner! I lived across the street from Mill Creek Sports Cards in Griffey's heyday and I never saw a game jersey on their walls. Those jerseys were spoken for BEFORE the season started. I also know the Mariners sold hundreds if not thousands of blank game jerseys throughout the 1990's. If Griff didn't sign it.....it did not come through him.......

My buck fiddy!!

Keep at it bro, when you see it you will know!!!

justinwc80
04-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks Davis, you've been a great resource in this hunt.

justinwc80
06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
The search is back on for Griffey gamer. Thanks for any help.