PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this Frank Thomas 1993 Game Used Home jersey

bostongameused
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I was recently offered a 1993 set 2 Frank Thomas home jersey. I had planned on buying it but I had some concerns with the shirt. As a result the seller has listed it elsewhere so in the meantime I thought I'd see what the forum thought. Here are the pictures.

Thanks

sox83cubs84
04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Looks OK, from photos. Big Frank took a size 46 + 2" up to and including 1993, then started enlarging his jerseys.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Lokee
04-12-2010, 05:44 PM
First thing I would do was to get off the horrible looking auto. Looks like Frank signed it with black licorice LOL

karamaxjoe
04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
The polyester tag and extra length tags are far to crisp for me. I would like to see a little more wear on that tag if I were interested. The Diamond Collection tag is also circa 1992 which isn't a huge deal, but I'd rather see the correct tag for the MVP from 1993.

WadeInBmore
04-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Wow! Some heavy hitters are weighing in on this jersey. As much as I hate to admit it I agree with Mike 100%...the tagging is far too crisp for my liking. Everything on the jersey seems to be crisp. And yes, Lokee, that auto bleed is a huge eye sore! I had the opportunity to view some pics of this jersey before it hit eBay and it drew some concern IMHO. As we've seen an influx of Thomas issueds hitting the market in the past month or so I've begun to question my own knowledge of the strip tags...and this Thomas seems to have too much info? Also, I kind of thought that the Sox were using players last name script on the tagging around this time. Again, I am buy far not an expert...Mike, Dave, and Edgar I happily default to you guys. Attached is a tagging from a Raines Away from 94 and the partial visible tagging for what seems to be a 93 from a Mears article about Thomas. The numbers on the back also seem like they don't belong. Just wanted to chime in an share my thoughts. A 93 for 900 obo seems too good to be true because well it might be. Mike, I would love to see tagging of one of your Sox jerseys if you've got one from 1993. Sorry for the long book. Hope I helped the cause and didn't add to the confusion.

Also, this might be worthy of looking over too:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/archive/index.php/t-1272.html

wade

salukidave
04-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Personally, I'd stay away from the jersey based on the crisp condition of the tagging. Plus, of course, the bleeding autograph looks horrible.

bostongameused
04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your comments. I was mostly turned away by the auto. Wade and I had a chance to talk about the jersey over the weekend. I have someone who could get the autograph off but when asked for paper work and how the jersey was obtained I received the friend of a friend response. In addition, I too am concerned about the crisp strip tag seeing as a set two should have shown much more use. In addition, the staining on the left sleeve, which appears to be pine tar or some other substance clearly should not be there and most likely came after it as used, that is if it was used at all.

D.R.

BunchOBull
04-13-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm in the market for a nice jersey from this era, and when I saw this listing the other day, I just moved along for many of the same reasons that have been quoted here.

I love the "tobacco" stains.

sox83cubs84
04-13-2010, 04:10 PM
The NIT strip tags were normal for Wilson, who co-supplied (with Russell) the Sox from 1993-99. I DO recall White Sox Russell gamers with tail tagging featuring a name, but that was 1994, not '93. The 1993 tag looks normal for a Russell gamer/game-issue from 1993.

Dave M.
Chicago area

WadeInBmore
04-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Dave...

Thanks for clarifying for me. Greatly appreciated. I always value your thoughts and opinions. You are the man!!!!

wade

karamaxjoe
04-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm with Dave 100% on the two suppliers during that period. I've also seen very, very few home Russell jerseys from 1993 and I'm guessing the majority of the players used Wilson. I have a bunch of pictures from 1993 with Russell road and alternate tags that match up exactly to the Thomas jersey in question, but again the Russell home jerseys are few and far between.

skinsfan0521
04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm sorry if somebody gets mad that I'm not adding to the conversation, but my question is:

Why is this thread in the Classifieds section?? I read through the thread and it doesn't appear that anybody is offering it for sale or trade or anything. Seems like it should be in the GU Memorabilia Discussion section. No?

Sorry for disrupting the thread...