PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Jackie Robinson

costas
04-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Does anyone have information regarding this season's Jackie Robinson day, will all players from all teams be wearing #42 jerseys and what other commemorative game used will be available?

scootmagroot
04-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Sure hope they arent.

LastingsMilledge85
04-14-2010, 07:46 PM
You bet they are and it's all for $! I really don't like it and find it overkill. Now I got to keep my eye out for Milledge's jersey which I'm hoping will appear in a few months if they auction them online.

billie-boy
04-14-2010, 11:52 PM
By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com
04/15/10 12:00 AM ET

NEW YORK -- Jackie Robinson's legacy will be memorialized again today at Major League Baseball parks across North America. From Yankee Stadium to Dodger Stadium, fans will celebrate the 63rd anniversary of Robinson breaking the color barrier.

For the second consecutive year, Commissioner Bud Selig has invited all players and uniformed personnel to wear the late Hall of Famer's famous No. 42. That number was retired by decree of the Commissioner throughout baseball on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Robinson taking the field for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

What once was a voluntary gesture has now become standard fare on the day baseball remembers the great Robinson.

"April 15, 1947, is a day that resonates with history throughout Major League Baseball," Selig said. "With all Major League players, coaches and umpires wearing Jackie's No. 42, we hope to demonstrate the magnitude of his impact on the game of baseball. Major League Baseball will never forget the contributions that Jackie made both on and off the field."

This year's main celebration is at Yankee Stadium, just a few boroughs north of where Robinson initially played first base for the Dodgers at Ebbets Field so long ago. Jackie's widow, Rachel Robinson, and his daughter, Sharon, will be in attendance. Mariano Rivera, the Yanks' future Hall of Fame closer, who was activated in 1995, is the only active player regularly wearing No. 42. Rivera was grandfathered in when Selig retired the number in 1997.

There also will be ceremonies in the other 11 ballparks that day and evening when Jackie Robinson Foundation scholars will be honored. The Dodgers always request that they are scheduled for a home game on April 15 so they can properly remember Robinson. His signature 60th anniversary was celebrated at Dodger Stadium in 2007.

Even clubs that are not hosting games today will have an opportunity to honor Robinson, as any team that is not playing at home will hold Jackie Robinson Day celebrations at their ballparks during another home stand in April. The celebration at each ballpark will include a ceremonial home plate and special lineup cards to commemorate the day.

Jackie's Foundation offers a $10,000 scholarship toward college tuition for minority students. Since the organization was founded in 1973 by Rachel Robinson, it has awarded $18 million in scholarships to more than 1,300 people.

This season, as part of today's celebration, a single No. 42 jersey from each club will be signed and auctioned off on MLB.com. All proceeds will benefit the Jackie Robinson Foundation.

Two years ago, MLB made a $1.2 million commitment to the Robinson Foundation over a four-year period to fund scholarships in the name of each of the 30 clubs. Each year, $300,000 is invested, representing 30 $10,000 scholarships.
Derek Jeter, the Yankees' captain and all-time hits leader, donates a scholarship in perpetuity at the $250,000 level.

Yeah, there's just so much to despise about todays event.....sheesh!

Fnazxc0114
04-15-2010, 12:25 AM
I think its a great deal for a good cause. Plus like mentioned above it adds another element to your collection.

kylehess10
04-15-2010, 12:31 AM
They mentioned today on the radio here in Atlanta that Jackie Robinson Day will be celebrated at Turner Field on Friday, the 16th. Do you guys think the Braves will wear 42 on Friday as well as the 15th? Or are they just celebrating it and not wearing 42 on Friday? I need to know soon so that if they do wear 42 I be sure to go down there and get plenty of pics for photomatching once the jerseys hit the market.

LastingsMilledge85
04-15-2010, 12:57 AM
No the Braves will wear it for only one game I bet same with the Bucs who don;t play on the "actual" JR day. Now Billie, you obviously have no clue that his jersey will not go for peanuts because they all start at a minimum of $300 I believe which is not peanuts for a LM jersey. Yes it's overkill because who does it make the number significant if EVERYONE is wearing it including bat boys. Enough is enough, the league should designate ONE person (coach, manager, player) per team to wear the number to ACTUALLY have some significance towards the day. Even better, save the money and just wear the regular jerseys given to players each day. MLB is all about marketing now it makes me sick with to various jerseys, hats, patches, etc. Years ago they just played, now it's all about the million types of jerseys they wear. Maybe once Selig is gone they can tweak this celebration. Believe it or not there are many players that don;t like the idea that everyone wears the number.

jobathenut
04-15-2010, 01:53 AM
I totally agree with you "lastings".And thank you for saying it.
No the Braves will wear it for only one game I bet same with the Bucs who don;t play on the "actual" JR day. Now Billie, you obviously have no clue that his jersey will not go for peanuts because they all start at a minimum of $300 I believe which is not peanuts for a LM jersey. Yes it's overkill because who does it make the number significant if EVERYONE is wearing it including bat boys. Enough is enough, the league should designate ONE person (coach, manager, player) per team to wear the number to ACTUALLY have some significance towards the day. Even better, save the money and just wear the regular jerseys given to players each day. MLB is all about marketing now it makes me sick with to various jerseys, hats, patches, etc. Years ago they just played, now it's all about the million types of jerseys they wear. Maybe once Selig is gone they can tweak this celebration. Believe it or not there are many players that don;t like the idea that everyone wears the number.

scootmagroot
04-15-2010, 01:56 AM
I said I hope they don't, solely for the reason that I bought one of the 60th Anniversary ones they auctioned off in 2007, hoping that it would be a rare item and might be able to make some of my money back if I decided to sell it in a time of need dire need. Now I don't plan on selling it unless I absolutely have to, but now that EVERYONE is wearing them i feel it decreases the value on the ones worn back in 07, when only a couple players max on each team wore them.

I also bought one last year directly from the team since none of the Padres were auctioned off, and I bought it for about 70% less than the 07 jersey.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think its going to a good cause, and I do enjoy building my collection around those 2 jerseys, and since the Padres are wearing their throwbacks tomorrow, I will buy one if they become available.....but yea......

yanks12025
04-15-2010, 07:17 AM
I find it funny with all the dealing with 42 because Jackie Robinson wasn't the first black person to make it to the major league level.

mbenga28
04-15-2010, 07:32 AM
well if he wasn't, why does he get all the credit?

staindsox
04-15-2010, 07:37 AM
I find it funny with all the dealing with 42 because Jackie Robinson wasn't the first black person to make it to the major league level.

Yes he was. There were other blacks to play in top professional leagues in the 1800s, but Jackie was the first to play "Major League Baseball."

ereyes
04-15-2010, 09:14 AM
If anyone is interested in Yankees Jackie Robinson jerseys from tonights game or last years game at Tampa please contact me at ereyes@steinersports.com or call me at 888-265-9298.

woody1351
04-15-2010, 03:07 PM
i bought a wainwright 42 from a few years ago bc i didnt think they would have everyone wear it every year.

legaleagle92481
04-15-2010, 03:22 PM
It raises money for charity so I think it is a good thing. Very little is scarce especially in baseball GU collectibles of modern players. Every team has their stuff on the market practically. There are alot of different jersey variations you have alternate jerseys, throwback jerseys and these. I think they are cool because you have a different number than the player normally wears although some people probably see it as less collectible since alot of players are synomous with their number. You think of Jeter as 2, Pujols as 5, etc. and I can see alot of collectors not wanting a jersey that has a different number.

LastingsMilledge85
04-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm not so sure I'm big on the Jackie Robinson Foundation charity though. Especially with me going into college and all it somewhat bothers me. That has nothing to do with ne not liking the jersey, and I infact do own one.

scootmagroot
04-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Well....The Padres and Braves were wearing their throwbacks today (1984, white, brown gold for the Padres, and Blues for the Braves) and everyone was wearing 42. Was pretty cool to see it with the throwbacks. Im sure Ill be picking up several Padres 42s this year

MSpecht
04-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Here is a pic from yesterday's game as noted above. All wearing number 42 with no NOB.

Trivia--In 1984 Padres pitcher Sid Monge wore number 42 for the first part of the season until he got traded to the Detroit Tigers, where he faced the Padres in the 1984 World Series. Padres pitcher Greg Harris wore number 42 for the remainder of the Padres season.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

pietraynor
04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Some of the O's JRD jerseys have already hit MLB.com & include the Wieters. Jay.

LastingsMilledge85
04-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Tonight select players are wearing 42 in the Nats game.

08Cubs
04-17-2010, 09:48 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/08cubs/91343d2f.jpg

Ian Desmond from April 15 in Philadelphia.

LastingsMilledge85
04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/08cubs/91343d2f.jpg

Ian Desmond from April 15 in Philadelphia.

How did you get that already?

08Cubs
04-18-2010, 03:47 PM
They put a handful of them out in the team store the day after the game. It was kind of odd to walk in and just find them there, but that's how it goes in Natstown. Also really odd to already have a 2010 in the collection.

The Willie Harris (IIRC) was also out and had some nice dirt on it, but I thought it was a great opportunity to get the Desmond, even as clean as it was.

dnrapp
04-18-2010, 10:04 PM
The A's had 10 JR Day jerseys up in their in game Community Fund auction today(sun) I ended up with 2

Yesterday when I went by the booth to see what they had. they had nothing I was interested in, mostly auto balls. But they did have 2 big boxes with various GU batting helmets from the last couple of years. the price was very good, less than the cost of most Little league batting helmets, I was a only able to carry away 4. A Washington Senators(Texas Rangers) MLB auth helmet from the 2008 TBTC to 1968 game. A yellow A's helmet from the same game, not auth. A green A's #3 (Chavez), non auth and a 2009 TBTC game to 1939 PCL Oakland Oaks helmet with no ear flap, no number on back and non auth. So I guess it was either a catchers under mask helmet, a coaches helmet or a batboys helmet. It was the only onefrom that game in the boxes.

LastingsMilledge85
04-19-2010, 12:48 AM
If you can please post a picture of the Senators helmet. Do you know what player wore it?

dnrapp
04-19-2010, 02:10 PM
It was worn by #15 Gerald Laird and it is autographed. MLB auth also says the same thing. I will post a pic on the April pick up thread

csu398
04-18-2011, 12:40 AM
This thread is about 1 year old...I went to the Dodger Stadium on the 2011 JR day and found several 2010 Dodgers JR day in silent auction. It seemed that the Dodgers dream foundation saved them for one year. I remember seeing Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Jonathan Broxton, and Don Mattingly...there are several others but I cannot recall now. All MLB hologram'd.

jake33
04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
the rays sold there 2008 2009 and 2010 JRD's for $100 a piece at fan fest. All MLB authenticated.

Was nice to pick up my eric hinske very cheap, but I only display with the front of the jersey showing. From a distance, it looked like a dodgers home jersey almost....

Would it be awful if MLB still included the players last name on the back or do they have to keep it straight #42.

I still think this comes from Selig getting pressure years ago to get more african americans involved in the sport... kind of an over the top reaction in my opinion. Even though Jackie's story is amazing. Makes it seem like he was under valued and looked over up to 1997, which is incorrect.

Similar to his all star game TIE blunder.... Now Bud has the all star game mean home field advantage in the WS? I still don't get it.