PDA

View Full Version : Help with ideas for collecting pitcher's game used

skinsfan0521
04-19-2010, 08:22 AM
So, I often go to the Binghamton Mets (AA) baseball games and I've gotten a few game used bats from players. It's easy to ask an everyday player for a bat and they've got a ton of them and they're only in AA, so they're not super protective of their memorabilia or anything.

But, what should I be asking a pitcher for? I'm not going to ask for a glove, because I feel like players won't be willing to give up a glove to just some random fan in the stands. I'm guessing that they can't just give out jerseys either since I doubt they "own" them and they don't have the cash to just pay for jerseys to give out to a random fan. I'm just not sure what kind of game used item to ask a pitcher for?

I'm thinking that I could ask for a hat... Does that sound reasonable??

Any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks a lot!

OaklandAsFan
04-19-2010, 09:48 AM
in my past dealings with players they are much more free with their spikes than they are with their gloves. I have collected 10 pairs of spikes vs 1 glove directly from players in the last couple of years.

skinsfan0521
04-19-2010, 10:13 AM
in my past dealings with players they are much more free with their spikes than they are with their gloves. I have collected 10 pairs of spikes vs 1 glove directly from players in the last couple of years.
Thanks for the suggestion, maybe I'll try that route.

When do you ask the players for them? On their way out of the locker room? Just thinking that when they're on their way off the field (when I usually talk to them), they're not really going to take them right off and give them to me. lol

Thanks again!

-Brian

OaklandAsFan
04-19-2010, 10:37 AM
chances are if they are going to give you a pair of spikes it is a pair that are worn out and of no use to them anymore (or its the end of the season and they are cleaning out their lockers and will get all new stuff next year) so you can ask anytime and if they have any they can always go into the clubhouse and get them.

LastingsMilledge85
04-19-2010, 11:28 AM
A glove is something that you really will never get from any player becase the player pays for their glove, it's not supplied by the team. Doubt any player would ever give you their cap either because I can't imagine the team would be in favor of having to supply a player with a cap because they keep giving them away. You would have a better chance of getting one from a major league player, but still I doubt you will have much luck. Bats and balls seem to be the easiest and in this case as well, cleats seem to be expendable from players. When I went to ST I was considering asking McCutchen for these extra pair of batting gloves he had in his pocket but never asked.

skinsfan0521
04-19-2010, 02:12 PM
A glove is something that you really will never get from any player becase the player pays for their glove, it's not supplied by the team. Doubt any player would ever give you their cap either because I can't imagine the team would be in favor of having to supply a player with a cap because they keep giving them away. You would have a better chance of getting one from a major league player, but still I doubt you will have much luck. Bats and balls seem to be the easiest and in this case as well, cleats seem to be expendable from players. When I went to ST I was considering asking McCutchen for these extra pair of batting gloves he had in his pocket but never asked.
Yeah, that's what I was saying... I don't think I'd even ask for a glove since they're only AA players and they pay for their gloves and get them all broken in, etc. I just wouldn't think that they would give one away.

I think the hats would probably be reasonable (but purely a guess) since I can't imagine that the team really pays all that much attention to how many hats a player goes through. Plus, they're the same hats that they give them to just wear "around town" and stuff like that.

I thought about asking for a ball, but chances are that they'd just go in the dugout and bring a random ball to sign (maybe a bp used, or maybe practice or something like that) and not even a "game used" ball.

Anyway, I appreciate the opinions and suggestions!