PDA

View Full Version : Collectors' Regret

EurekaDave
07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
We all purge our collections to make money or clear the decks for new collectibles. What is the one item you have traded away or sold that you would like to have back? I sold an A.J. Pierzinski jersey because I thought he was a hot-head who would never play for a top-tier team. That was the year before the White Sox won the Series. How about it? Confession time.

seven4five20
07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
I would have to say....nearly my entire Trot Nixon game used collection. This included his rookie bat, home and away Arizona Fall League jerseys, home, away, and the super rare alternate PawSox jerseys, several other bats, and five different Red Sox jerseys. I did it to get out of debt, and donated some to Curt's First Pitch for ALS, but still regret it.

yanks12025
07-06-2006, 04:53 PM
I would have to say a 1950's Larry Berra bat.

Yankwood
07-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Mantle bat:(2 Mays bats:(2 Musial bats:( 3 Munson bats:( :( :( I can't go on..........

trsent
07-06-2006, 05:41 PM
The only item I miss is the Muhammad Ali - Cassius Clay autographed gloves that I obtained in person in the early 1990s. I remember when I asked Muhammad to autograph each glove separately with one being signed Muhammad Ali and the other Cassius Clay.

His agent, I forget his name, a young kid, asked me why I wanted him to sign that way. I told him it would be the one item I would never sell.

I lied.

The gloves were on display at my first retail store just to show off on a back wall where they were a show-piece only. One of my best customers came in one day, spent his usual $10,000.00 and asked how much for the gloves.

I told him "no way" and he persisted. Needless to say, like $400.00 (Or was it $800, the price doesn't matter) later they were gone from my life forever.

Big bold autographs, signed right in front of me. You could actually read each letter. Oh my, I miss those.

shafrancollectibles.com
07-07-2006, 10:23 AM
My biggest regret was selling a pre-1972 Olympics program with signatures of over 50 Olympic runners with the biggest, boldest Steve Prefontaine signature I ever saw. Bill Bowerman, Frank Shorter, Bruce Jenner and many more were also in that program.

Man, I wish I had that one back!