PDA

View Full Version : need HELP with my NOLAN RYAN personally owned Astros Cap. Please check out my story

Ryanfan
04-21-2010, 07:56 PM
This is my first post on this site. I have been all over the internet trying to find help. Some of you may know that Nolan Ryan has only had one life cast done of his face and it was done in 1986 by artist, Paul Noll.
One of the final bronze cast actually hangs in the MLB Hall Of Fame. I am on a first name basis with Mr. Noll and just a few months ago, I was able to purchase the actual Astros cap that Nolan wore during the molding proccess. Mr. Noll requested that Mr. Ryan bring an Astros hat to the molding session, but afterwards Mr. Ryan said that they could keep it because it had a lot of molding left on it. Looking at the cap, you can see wear and tear on the tag. I do not believe that it was an actual game used cap due to no number being written on it, but I would be that he actually wore it around for a while.
Knowig Mr. Noll, I knew he was truthful with everything. As you all know, no two caps are going to have the exact same stitch patterns. Upon compairing unique patterns as well as a flaw in the stitching on the cap with the mold, one can see that its the exact same cap. I also hav e pics of Mr. Ryan wearing it before molding compund was applied and there are two flaws that can be seen on the pic that coinside with flaws on the cap I have.
I am gling to a Tri Star Productions show in Houston Texas in June and I would like to have Mr. Ryan sign and inscribe it as a cap he once owned. Before I do that, I would like some authentication service to authenticate it as being the one used in the molding. In order to do that, I would have to ship the mold (very heavy and delicate) somewhere with the hat to be looked at. I would rather not ship it though. Does anyone know of a company that authenticates items like this? Mears said they could but that I would have to ship it. JAS authentication services is going to be at the show but they only do autographs. Any help would be greatly appreciaed !
I would post pics, but Im not sure how.

ps Ive been in Beckett mag's "super collector" section twice with Nolan Ryan ! HUGE Ryan collector

MSpecht
04-21-2010, 09:37 PM
As discussed on this site in the past, an absolute photo match (not a photo style match) can stand on its own as far as authentication. In this instance a signed statement from Mr. Noll outlining the circumstances you discussed in your post, coupled with micro-pics of the hat's distinguishing imperfection and the same imperfection on the mold, would seem to seal the deal, particularly if the hat and mold are going to be displayed together. I would not take the chance of shipping the mold and risking damage to it.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

murfsteve25
04-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Maybe you could take the hat to Nolan Ryan and explain the story to him and see what he says. I understand you probably want the authentication done before hand but just in case you cant then there is no better authentication than from NR himself!

Rob L
04-22-2010, 12:43 PM
As discussed on this site in the past, an absolute photo match (not a photo style match) can stand on its own as far as authentication. In this instance a signed statement from Mr. Noll outlining the circumstances you discussed in your post, coupled with micro-pics of the hat's distinguishing imperfection and the same imperfection on the mold, would seem to seal the deal, particularly if the hat and mold are going to be displayed together. I would not take the chance of shipping the mold and risking damage to it.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

I agree with Mike. The signed statement and photos that show a definitive match is golden and is as good as any authentication company in my eyes (and I would assume most others). If you have those items, no need to spend money to have someone use the same pictures to tell you the same.

sarahsdad
04-22-2010, 04:28 PM
RyanFan:
What is your email address? I am a huge Ryan collector as well and would love to see what you have.
Thanks
Sarahsdad

Rob L
04-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Sarahsxad, what do you have? I just have a Ryan Angels cap. Would love to see your collection.

Ryanfan
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys for the help. I talked with Mr. Noll and he agreed to sign a statement for me. On the letter, I am going to add photos of certain identifying marks on the hat and mold so there is no question.
Sarhasdad, e mail me any time. I do not have a huge collection of things but I do have a couple of unique items. I am a single dad with tons of bills so it's hard to get all the Ryan items I would like lol! Some of you Beckett readers may remember seeing me in the Super Collector spot back in August and November of 2006. The first time I was pictured with Nolan Ryan when heald 3 of the 2005 TOTT jersey/button cards I had collected. The second time was after I had collected the fourth card after a Beckett reader contacted me after seeing I was looking for it. They are numbered to only 4 and they are my most prized cards!

Rob L
04-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys for the help. I talked with Mr. Noll and he agreed to sign a statement for me. On the letter, I am going to add photos of certain identifying marks on the hat and mold so there is no question.
Sarhasdad, e mail me any time. I do not have a huge collection of things but I do have a couple of unique items. I am a single dad with tons of bills so it's hard to get all the Ryan items I would like lol! Some of you Beckett readers may remember seeing me in the Super Collector spot back in August and November of 2006. The first time I was pictured with Nolan Ryan when heald 3 of the 2005 TOTT jersey/button cards I had collected. The second time was after I had collected the fourth card after a Beckett reader contacted me after seeing I was looking for it. They are numbered to only 4 and they are my most prized cards!

if all matches up, you will have the best authentication possible!! Congrats and please post some pics when you can. I'd really like to see it!!

Ryanfan
04-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Rob, I'll sure do that. I tries to post some the other day but it said te pic files were to large to upload. I'll try to resize them this weekend and post them on here.

Ryanfan
04-23-2010, 07:06 PM
What do you all think about this? I think for the certificate, I will add a good pic of the tags on the hat. The wear On them and the mold compound in that area are very destinctive. Then I'll add a pic of the hat beside the final cast. The detail of the stitching on the cast is excellent but it's hard to get a good detailed pic of the stitches on the actual cap. My thoughts are that with the tag pic and with someone (a possible buyer or just a friend) actually holding the real cap, there will be no boubt that it's the same cap and when compaired to the cast, they will for sure know.

Ps... I'll never sell this haha!

2x_beckett_super_collector
01-19-2012, 10:13 PM
RyanFan:
What is your email address? I am a huge Ryan collector as well and would love to see what you have.
Thanks
Sarahsdad

Im sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to your email address request. I am still trying to figure this site out ha! I had the cap photomatched and authenticated by Mears since my original post. I also obtained ( and had authenticated) the original arm cast that was taken off of Ryan's had and arm on the same day. It still has his arm hairs stuck in it lol! Anyway, My email is 2x_beckett_super_collector@aol.com (2x_beckett_super_collector@aol.com). Shoot me an email so I'll have yours and Ill send you some pics if you are still interested. Take care

Sean

joelsabi
01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Im sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to your email address request. I am still trying to figure this site out ha! I had the cap photomatched and authenticated by Mears since my original post. I also obtained ( and had authenticated) the original arm cast that was taken off of Ryan's had and arm on the same day. It still has his arm hairs stuck in it lol! Anyway, My email is 2x_beckett_super_collector@aol.com (2x_beckett_super_collector@aol.com). Shoot me an email so I'll have yours and Ill send you some pics if you are still interested. Take care

Sean

did you reregister? let me remove one of your userIDs as multiple IDs is not allowed.

2x_beckett_super_collector
01-21-2012, 11:14 AM
did you reregister? let me remove one of your userIDs as multiple IDs is not allowed.

Yes, I am registered but I was unaware that I had more than one id. I only registered once with one email and one user id.