PDA

View Full Version : Mattingly game used bat on ebay

courage2344
04-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Wondering what people thought of this supposed Mattingly gamer on ebay currently;

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980s-Don-Mattingly-Game-Used-Autographed-Bat-Yankees-/300419795111?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f26a48a7

MSpecht
04-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Here's a good blog on Mattingly bats:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=185

Mike jackitout7@aol.com (jackitout7@aol.com)

courage2344
04-27-2010, 01:33 PM
I've seen Jim's page before and it's great! Thanks for the link anyways, I won't be bidding, even though it seems like 17 others think it's legit. I'd rather purchase my one and only Mattingly gamer, knowing it's 100% real.

Lelands has an auction coming up in June. And finally my Canadian dollar isn't going to hurt me. I've missed out on quite a few bats because I was paying 20% more. I really thought I was going to have a black Mattingly gamer on a Lelands auction in 2008, but that climbed too high.

Now that my budget has increased with my current bonus and the strong dollar, I'm interesting in Mattingly gamers and the price tag it requires.

What a great forum, I love looking everyone's Mattingly gamers!

ndevlin
05-03-2010, 06:28 PM
I've seen Jim's page before and it's great! Thanks for the link anyways, I won't be bidding, even though it seems like 17 others think it's legit. I'd rather purchase my one and only Mattingly gamer, knowing it's 100% real.

Lelands has an auction coming up in June. And finally my Canadian dollar isn't going to hurt me. I've missed out on quite a few bats because I was paying 20% more. I really thought I was going to have a black Mattingly gamer on a Lelands auction in 2008, but that climbed too high.

Now that my budget has increased with my current bonus and the strong dollar, I'm interesting in Mattingly gamers and the price tag it requires.

???

What makes you think the bat isnt 100% legit??

JETEFAN
05-05-2010, 10:08 AM

If you are in the market for a Mattingly game used bat, you should do research on his bats and use patterns. The bat you are questioning is absolutly 100% real and the use is perfect for Mattingly down to the scoring on the handle and "7" on knob. You missed out on a great Mattingly gamer with tremendous use at a great price!!! What were your concerns on this bat?

George

courage2344
05-05-2010, 11:53 PM
ndevlin,

I wasn't sure if it was a gamer or not, that's why I posted this thread. Since I'm not a Mattingly bat expert, I passed on the item. There was nothing that made me think it wasn't but I felt more comfortable leaving it to the bat experts to purchase.

Chris

legaleagle92481
05-06-2010, 12:37 AM
ndevlin,

I wasn't sure if it was a gamer or not, that's why I posted this thread. Since I'm not a Mattingly bat expert, I passed on the item. There was nothing that made me think it wasn't but I felt more comfortable leaving it to the bat experts to purchase.

Chris

good for you if you are not 100 % comfortable with something it is better to pass. no matter how many other people think it is a great deal or it is legit at the end of the day you as the purchaser is the only one who has to be happy with the item.

courage2344
05-06-2010, 12:55 AM
George,

You have to be cautious anytime you bid on ebay for game used items. My first concern was the zero starting bid. That sometimes can be a red flag on an item. I also thought the item description could have been more detailed. I've seen some nice gamers pop up on ebay, in fact a Cooper was listed the last few weeks. There was a high starting bid and a COA from Lelands, plus I remember following that bat on the Lelands auction. If I wanted a Mattingly Cooper, then I would have bid with a 100% confidence.

Most bat experts say, they have to hold the bat before they would claim it's 100% authentic. Indeed I saw those same characteristics you mentioned, but I felt it wasn't worth $800 because I'm not holding it, weighing and measuring it; looking at all the fine detail.

What I was hoping for when I posted this thread, was that one of the Mattingly experts came across that bat before and actually held it and felt it was a gamer. That didn't happen, so I left the bidding for someone else.

Congratulations to the winner bidder, I hope when they received the bat it was everything a Mattingly gamer is. I never want to see someone to get ripped off. And at the price, it was most definitely a steal! Easily can be sold again for double that with an experts COA.

Chris

p.s you have a wonderful Mattingly collection, and thanks for sharing the pictures.........i don't discredit your ability to spot a Mattingly gamer........if you told me before the bidding was up, in your option it was a 100% a Mattingly gamer, then I would have been hard pressed not to bid........thanks for the input.......and next time I see one, I will certainly ask for your opinion before bidding......and not miss out!!!!!!

take care

courage2344
05-06-2010, 02:06 PM
legaleagle92481,

On a much smaller scale, I purchased a pair of Thomas Jones game worn football gloves. They has a COA and the players signature looked legit. I even photo matched the item, but when I received them, I made a mistake on the photo match. The trim around the velcro strap was black and in the photo white. How could I have missed that!!!!!!

I never found a photo match even though I had found pictures from every Bears game. Over a year later, I discovered the company that provided the COA had it's integrity questioned in the past.

I scored a deal on those gloves; $46 but how could I hang them up, knowing they weren't 100% legit. Maybe they were preseason game worn, or used in practice, never-the-less not enough for me to hang them up.

Last year NFL auctions had a pair of Thomas Jones game worn gloves, I paid much more, but they're great and I have a photo match, with a letter from the Jets organization. I can hang them up with pride.

You are absolutely correct, all that matters if I'm happy with the purchase and I learned my lesson on a very small scale, thankfully.

I'm not looking for a deal on a Mattingly gamer, I plan on only purchasing one in my life time. And when I make that purchase there will be no doubt it was in the hands of Mr. Mattingly getting beat to hell with balls.

I end this thread with a wonderful quote I saved from a Hockey New a few years back, from a fan who adored a retiring Trevor Linden (long time Vancouver Canuck);

"As a kid you can hero worship and develop emotional attachment to players. Adults can't do that. Not to the same degree.

With Trevor Linden imminent exit I now face being a hockey fan without any strong emotional attachment to any player. I am very aware to observe and appreciate players all around the league for all that they are. But I can never again develop that innocent love of a player or even of the game that kids can.

I am now left pondering one question. Will hockey be a different experience for me now? Today I just want to say this:

Goodbye, Trevor Linden. Thank-you."

That's the exact feelings I have for my two childhood idols; Don Mattingly and Stephane Richer (former 50 goal man for the Habs). But more so Mr. Mattingly because I loved baseball more, and worn his jersey every possible moment. That jersey hangs on my wall today, and I wouldn't trade it for any game worn or used Mattingly item. My wife and I plan on visiting Arizona for spring training one year so I can hopefully meet and have my jersey autographed by the man himself. And from what I read, Don will live up to everything he was to me when I was a child.

JETEFAN
05-06-2010, 06:59 PM
George,

You have to be cautious anytime you bid on ebay for game used items. My first concern was the zero starting bid. That sometimes can be a red flag on an item. I also thought the item description could have been more detailed. I've seen some nice gamers pop up on ebay, in fact a Cooper was listed the last few weeks. There was a high starting bid and a COA from Lelands, plus I remember following that bat on the Lelands auction. If I wanted a Mattingly Cooper, then I would have bid with a 100% confidence.

Most bat experts say, they have to hold the bat before they would claim it's 100% authentic. Indeed I saw those same characteristics you mentioned, but I felt it wasn't worth $800 because I'm not holding it, weighing and measuring it; looking at all the fine detail.

What I was hoping for when I posted this thread, was that one of the Mattingly experts came across that bat before and actually held it and felt it was a gamer. That didn't happen, so I left the bidding for someone else.

Congratulations to the winner bidder, I hope when they received the bat it was everything a Mattingly gamer is. I never want to see someone to get ripped off. And at the price, it was most definitely a steal! Easily can be sold again for double that with an experts COA.

Chris

p.s you have a wonderful Mattingly collection, and thanks for sharing the pictures.........i don't discredit your ability to spot a Mattingly gamer........if you told me before the bidding was up, in your option it was a 100% a Mattingly gamer, then I would have been hard pressed not to bid........thanks for the input.......and next time I see one, I will certainly ask for your opinion before bidding......and not miss out!!!!!!

take care

Chris,

You were right on not bidding if you were not 100% comfortable with the bat, collecting 101 !! In no way were my comments meant to offend anyone in any way, shape or form. Knowing Donnie bats and having handled many of them along with being a Mattingly collector for over 25 years lead me to my conclusion on this bat. The seller being B&E also put me at ease, I have dealt with them many times over the years and their customer satisfaction policy is second to none... There are many Donnie bats that come up for sale but very few are legit. Be patient, the right one will come along!
George

courage2344
05-07-2010, 12:23 AM
George,

I wasn't offended at all. I know very little about Mattingly gamers hence my caution for purchasing a bat. Next time I see a Mattingly bat, I'll ask for your advice.

take care

Chris

nomarmauerfan
05-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Courage,
Email me at dixey2044@msn.com. I may be willing to sell one of my Mattingly bats from 86-89 label period.

Mike

JETEFAN
05-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Courage,
Email me at dixey2044@msn.com. I may be willing to sell one of my Mattingly bats from 86-89 label period.

Mike

Chris,

If mike is selling one of his bats as he mentioned, you can't go wrong he has some great Donnie bats, get in touch with him.....
George

kmantm64
05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
There are 2 Mattingly game used jerseys right now on SchulteAuctions.com. I know Ray Schulte is Mattingly's marketing agent, so I'm sure they're legit.