PDA

View Full Version : Must see movie!!! "SUGAR"

suave1477
04-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Not sure if any of you had a chance to see this movie and I am sure most most likely did not hear of it. It flew under the radar for most even the sports movie enthusiasts.

"Sugar" is a great movie to have in your collection for the sports movie enthusiast.
Sugar was just released on DVD. It was in the movie theaters last year but it was a low budget independant film so it didn't make it into too many theaters and didn't last long. Here in NYC it only played in 2 Theaters.
But pretty much from every where it go great reviews.

I picked it up on DVD and it was definitely worth it.

It is about a Dominican player and what he has to go through to make it into the minor league system in the U.S.
A modern day Bull Durham if you will, but with latin flavor lol.

It is supposed to be a true story just based on what these playerrs actually go through to play in the U.S.

On a scale of 1 to 5. I would give it 3 1/2

It's worth watching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_(2008_film)

geoff
04-22-2010, 11:11 PM
I saw it A few Months ago And I thought it was A great Movie.Any real Baseball Fan should watch it.

ahuff
04-23-2010, 02:26 PM
It was partially filmed in my area, and they used the actual jerseys of the then "Swing of the Quad Cities". I actually own the jersey the main character wore in the movie. As a side note, if you ever purchase a game worn Swing jersey (style worn in the movie) and you see that there was a name removed, it was because of the movie. Not all of them had names removed or were even used, but the ones that were had the real Swing of the Quad Cities players' names removed.

Back to the filming...It was pretty cool seeing the directors and main actor walking around during the few games they were here that season. Here is a photo of the main guy talking to Christian Reyes. http://www.flickr.com/photos/12157732@N06/1234176022/

The film crew asked locals to be involved, but the hours were crazy long so we didn't.

I guess I must have had too much hype for it myself. We waited to see it until it came out on DVD. Personally, I thought it to be quite the yawner. But it sounds like others loved it and I'm thrilled about that.

chipperhank44
04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I saw it on HBO a month or 2 ago. Loved it!!!! Very interesting!!!! Gives you the perspective of a young carribean player. It's not Oscar worthy or anything, but I really enjoyed it!!!

justinwc80
04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Did anyone notice Reds great Jose Rijo as one of the coaches? Good movie, but felt ending left things unresolved.

suave1477
04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Did anyone notice Reds great Jose Rijo as one of the coaches? Good movie, but felt ending left things unresolved.

Justin yes actually Jose Rijo was the baseball / athletics coordinator on the movie.

What did you feel went unresolved?