PDA

View Full Version : Must read for the Baseball FANATIC..!

bigtruck260
04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Been reading The Baseball Codes by Jason Turbow. GREAT book that covers all of the unwritten rules in baseball...(brushbacks, dekes, brawls) lots of entertaining stories covering about 100 years in baseball.

So far, it's one of the best baseball books I've ever read - and it's a entertaining read, so you'll be on page 100 before you know it.

http://thebaseballcodes.com/

xpress34
04-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Dave -

Don't be trying to sneak a peek... you'll get drilled... ;)

I'm just about done with it... I read all but the LONG chapter on Steroids... going back to finish that...

But you're right, it is a GREAT read!!!

- Chris

P.S. - has it made you watch what guys do during the game more this season? I know I pay more attention to the details!

WadeInBmore
04-22-2010, 10:58 PM
timely...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Dallas-Braden-blasts-A-Rod-for-breaking-unwritte?urn=mlb,236110

wade

bigtruck260
04-23-2010, 09:20 AM
P.S. - has it made you watch what guys do during the game more this season? I know I pay more attention to the details!

Absolutely. I played ball for many years, and was aware of about 50% of the unwritten codes that the MLB players abide by. You learn something new every day.

The best part so far is the commentary on guys like Nolan Ryan who lived and died by certain codes - yet completely ignored other ones.

For instance, Ryan was a great guy on the mound to protect teammate from a knockdown - but some managers HATED the fact that when they took him out of a game, he flipped the ball to the relief pitcher (and didn't HAND it to the manager). Apparently, that's a major violation of the 'code'.

They interview a ton of players too...it's not hyperbole. It's all based 100% in fact. That's what makes it such a good book.

joelsabi
04-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Any mention of the Ortiz shift? is that against any code?

rwoodsbats
04-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Thank you for posting the recommendation. I'm currently reading "The Code: Baseball's Unwritten Rules and Its Ignore-at-Your-Own-Risk Code of Conduct" by Ross Bernstein. They sound like they are covering the same topic, but would still like to read both. After I'm done with The Code, I now plan on reading this one.

BoneRubbedBat
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm half way through this book. It's awesomeness gives this post a bump.

sportscrazy13
09-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Just picked one up off Amazon... can't wait to start reading it.