Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EurekaDave
    • Sep 2005

Memorable Freebies

In this pay-as-you-go hobby there are sometimes shining moments, a collectible that is free and therefore especially memorable.

Years ago I took a picture of Red Sox Firstbaseman George Scott. I had a print made of it, framed it and gave it to him. He reached into his batrack and pulled out a Louisville Slugger signature bat and gave it to me. I was walking on a cloud for months after that.

PS: At a card show after his retirement, Scott refused to sign the bat because he was contracted to sign only baseballs and photos. Incredulous, I said, "You gave it to me!" He relented. That took the lustre off the gift bat, but it has also enhanced the story. Let's hear yours and thanks for the threads.
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: Memorable Freebies

During the 2000 season I was given a empty champagne bottle and a 2000 Wild card Budweiser poster that hung in the Mets locker room during the post game celebration by one of the local memorabilia dealers whom I usually get buy my stuff from.

-David
    Attached Files
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• psmachetti
      • Nov 2005

Re: Memorable Freebies

I collect hockey goalie game worns , and autoe'd memorabilia . Well I was informed thru a hockey board that Eddie Giacomin was offering personalized 11X14 autoed posters for $25. You actually sent the payment directly to Eddie at his home. Well I wrote him a letter thanking him for the offer letting him know what I wanted on the poster, and telling him why he was my hockey idol. Well I got the poster in the mail , personalized exactly as I requested andfound a handwritten note from Eddie and 2 free "honorary guest" passes to the Hockey Hall of Fame signed by Eddie. Very cool.
      Paul

Comment

Working...