PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Braun Game Bats

mattmueller
04-29-2010, 08:58 AM
I have been asked my opinion on a couple of Ryan Braun bats, each of which were interesting for one reason or another. I guess I would characterize these as a collection of thoughts to keep in mind if you are ever looking for a Braun game bat.

First, a brief overview of what you should see on a Braun game used bat: It should have an 8 on the knob, mota stick on the handle, and marking on the barrel where a warm-up weight is used.

Things you wouldn't typically find:

Taped Handle
A very recent example of a bat offered with a taped handle is from the recent Grey Flannel auction. Offered was a SAM bat, autographed and even had a "game used" inscription (see below for more on this). However, this bat also had a cross-taped handle. I do not recall ever seeing Braun use a bat in a game (after 2007) that has had a taped handle. As mentioned in a prior post I have seen a Braun bat, with a taped handle, apparently used by Prince Fielder and then offered as game used. Also, the first photo below shows Yovani Gallardo batting in this past Monday's game, using a cross taped bat, which has an 8 on the knob (although I couldn't get a screen grab shows the 8 with certainty, its noticeable when viewing live motion). Point being here is that other Brewers have been known to use Braun's bats, and apply tape to the handle, when Braun typically does not use tape himself.
Prior thread: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=27750&highlight=braun

Pine Tar
Braun uses mota stick applied to the handle. A bat with pine tar applied would raise concerns with me. Further, see the 2nd photo below, which again shows Gallardo using a Braun bat (if memory serves, this is a blonde M9), note the pine tar.

Game Used Inscription
It is no secret that "game used" to a player may not carry the same expectations as collectors. Namely, a collector would expect that the insription means "I used this in a major league game", whereas a player may not pay close attention to who used it, or when he used it, or really if it was used at all. Given both of the bats mentioned in the taped handle conversation above were autographed and inscribed as "game used" by Braun, I would tend to no longer rely on this inscription as gospel regarding its use in a game by Braun.

SAM bats made on July 24, 2008
As noted in a prior post, it appears there was a large batch of SAM bats made for Braun on July 24, 2008, and most of them appear to have been manufactured/ended up as non-game used:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33039&highlight=braun

So in summary, I personally would not be comfortable in purchasing a Braun game bat that has a taped handle or pine tar. Also, without other characteristics of a Braun gamer, a bat made on 7-24-08 or that is insribed as game used.

Hopefully this is helpful to others.

Matt

BrewCrewSackers
04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah, Yov used a Braun SAM in his last start when he had 3 RBI's.

happyyoungster
04-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Braun used a taped handle briefly in late August/early September of 2007.
Click here (http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=ryan%20braun%202007&assetType=image&ep=2)for examples.
The Braun Rookie bat I own has a taped handle and was cracked on 9/3/07 and authenticated by MLB.

He obviously tried it and didn't like it.
Great summary of Braun bats, BTW.

BrewCrewSackers
05-05-2010, 02:55 AM
Now the crooks know how to fake them. Thanks dude!

mattmueller
05-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure what to say. You are welcome, dude?

Should we just abandon the educational intent of the forum and just have it a series of requests for help in photomatching jerseys and bats? That aside, I am not sure how my observations would be all that useful to a "crook". Will they now know to not put tape, pine tar, and maple leaf stickers on a bat and call it game used? Or is it more beneficial that a forum member think twice about buying a bat that has those characteristics. I guess I will take the latter.

Matt