PDA

View Full Version : Al Kaline 1954 Jersey in REA

kirkb
05-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Congrats if someone in here won this at $18,000. With BP around $21,000. In my opinion a complete steal. Especially when a Pete Rose high grade rookie sold for 17k in the very same auction. There has to be something wrong with that picture.
I thought for a month on how I could get involved in this. 1954 rookie jersey set 1!!. I could have privately sacrificed one of my early, unique Barry Sanders game worn jerseys. But that could have been a backwards trade. Could have pulled the funds from a retirement account. But thats a bad habit to get into.
Lets face it, there is not much national interest in Kaline. From a "national" point of view, he's probably not a top shelf type Hof'er. A guy that did everything pretty well but admittedly not in a league with Aaron, Mantle, Mays. Perhaps more comparable with Musial. I have to believe early Musial jerseys have sold for more than 18k. Again congrats to whoever picked up this one-of-a-kind gem.

skyking26
05-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I live in the Detroit area. Kaline is a Godlike figure here; but outside of MI nobody really cares. He could easily have played another year at 399 HRS to get over 400, but elected to walk away. His 3007 hits are nothing to sneeze at.

In many show and run-into encounters thru the years, I can attest he is up there amongst the nastiest personalities I've seen. Just a miserable guy...

There will be future HOF'ers that will fall into Kaline's interest catagory. Jim Thome continues to climb the charts as a part time player - but how many people really follow him or care? Not many...

kirkb
05-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm from Michigan also and ran into Kaline at Det area shows many years ago. I don't recall him being nasty back then. Just mostly business like signing autographs etc.
For me Kaline doesn't compare too well with Thome. I see Thome as more of a 1 dimensional power type, not really known for defensive skills. I was sorry to see the Twins get Thome, since they are going to be tough enough for the Tigers to handle this year.

legaleagle92481
05-02-2010, 11:26 PM
thome has played for five teams. for most of his indians career he was overshadowed by manny and others. as a phillie he was an expensive free agent pushed aside for a younger player who ended up an mvp and leading the phils to their first world series in years while thome couldnt get them into the playoffs. for the sox he came onto a team that had won the series the year before despite not having a major power threat and he was suppossed to fill that role, the team did not get close to the series again. with the other two teams he was/is a parttime player. he has been terriable on defense and played in a golden era of first baseman, never been an mvp, had a low batting average, high strike out rate and only made a couple of allstar teams. the main thing he did was launch homeruns. he is unlikely to be a first ballot hall of famer and if he does not get 600 homers he may not get in. dont get me wrong ive always loved thome and i proudly own one of his bats but this is just how i see him objectively. he reminds me of fred mcgriff in alot of ways and mcgriff was a major component of a championship team and was a much better fielder and he did not get close to being elected. kaline is probably the greatest player the tigers had in the last 50 years. he had average, some power, defense and is a member of the 3000 hit club which unlike the 500 homer club has not become diluted. i think kaline is defintely one of the top 50-75 players ever. as far as national appeal few players who did not play in new york amid the huge media market reach that level. ruth, mays, mantle, dimaggio, gehrig, mays, koufax all fit into that category.

legaleagle92481
05-02-2010, 11:27 PM
thome has played for five teams. for most of his indians career he was overshadowed by manny and others. as a phillie he was an expensive free agent pushed aside for a younger player who ended up an mvp and leading the phils to their first world series in years while thome couldnt get them into the playoffs. for the sox he came onto a team that had won the series the year before despite not having a major power threat and he was suppossed to fill that role, the team did not get close to the series again. with the other two teams he was/is a parttime player. he has been terriable on defense and played in a golden era of first baseman, never been an mvp, had a low batting average, high strike out rate and only made a couple of allstar teams. the main thing he did was launch homeruns. he is unlikely to be a first ballot hall of famer and if he does not get 600 homers he may not get in. dont get me wrong ive always loved thome and i proudly own one of his bats but this is just how i see him objectively. he reminds me of fred mcgriff in alot of ways and mcgriff was a major component of a championship team and was a much better fielder and he did not get close to being elected. kaline is probably the greatest player the tigers had in the last 50 years. he had average, some power, defense and is a member of the 3000 hit club which unlike the 500 homer club has not become diluted. i think kaline is defintely one of the top 50-75 players ever. as far as national appeal few players who did not play in new york amid the huge media market reach that level. ruth, mays, mantle, dimaggio, gehrig, mays, koufax all fit into that category.

skyking26
05-03-2010, 02:21 AM
I'm from Michigan also and ran into Kaline at Det area shows many years ago. I don't recall him being nasty back then. Just mostly business like signing autographs etc.
For me Kaline doesn't compare too well with Thome. I see Thome as more of a 1 dimensional power type, not really known for defensive skills. I was sorry to see the Twins get Thome, since they are going to be tough enough for the Tigers to handle this year.
Hey Kirk - we should meet at the upcoming Kaline signing DC Sports is doing May 22 I believe. Not sure I'm going yet as I need a Gold Glove ball signed. Would like the years grouped added (and I'd pay inscription fee) that would be something like 55-59/61-70, but Kaline told promoter he'd only do 3007 hits or HOF 80... Promoter said I could send the ball in and they'd try.....whatever.

I do agree with the lack of statistical comparison to Thome. My comparison was to how Kaline is seen outside Detroit. Here, he is revered, elsewhere he is just remembered. Thome is usually revered where he plays and barely thought of elsewhere. I also agree that if he can get to 600 HRS he has a shot at first ballot - otherwise perhaps down the road only. Agree 100% there. His lack of field-playing ability from 2006 onward diminshes his resume attractiveness and precludes him as a part-timer. He's always hammered the Tigers. Would have loved to see him with Detroit in same role personally.

I'd agree with Kaline's businesslike manner save one event. In July back in early 2000's there was a show in Troy and we all stood in the heat outside, finally arriving in an adjacent room where Kaline signed. I watched as this guy finally makes it up there and states that Kaline was his hero as a kid etc etc. Kaline never looked up or commented. This added to one time on crutches I awaited, and when Kaline came out of the broadcast booth I asked him to sign a ball and he threw his briefcase at me, signed all the while chewing my a*s. Another event a buddy asked him for an auto as he walked out of an elevator and my buddy got a newspaper thrown at him. A simple, "Not at this time" in either case would have been the better way to handle it vs. being a jerk.

Sorry for the rant...just my experiences, over about 15 plus years.

Danny899
05-03-2010, 04:55 AM
For you guys going to the upcoming Kaline signing and are concerned about his demeanor or what inscriptions he will include, hopefully this post will be of help. I just met him at the MAB 3000 show 2 weeks ago and he was polite, cordial and talkative. I had him add for inscriptions on my jersey, his hit total, All Star games and 1968 WS Champs. It was a great experience. I always address these HOFers as, "sir" or "Mr. Kaline" never calling them by their first name or nickname. That's probably why I usually have good experiences at signings. Hopefully, he'll be just as pleasant and accomodating for you guys as well. I will try to post a picture of the jersey if you're interested.
Dan

kirkb
05-03-2010, 06:51 AM
Sky, its interesting you collect Kingman because thats who Thome probably reminds me most of. Thome absolutely kills the Tigers so I'm probably more aware of him than others might be. He still sucks up a roster spot and really can only DH. He often sits against good left handed pitching. But at 600 HR he's got to get in I'd think. He's on a short list with his HR total as it is.
Kaline was one of my heros growing up. I also now realize just how important Ernie Harwell really was. Tigers had great continuity through the 60's. I'm in my late 50's now. I was totally addicted to baseball. Snuck a transistor radio into class during the '68 WS. Always stayed up late and listened to the games from the west coast. Those were the days. Therre wasn't much else in the way of daily entertainment. I listened to the Cubs every afternoon, and caught White Sox games when I could. Also other games late at night on radio.
Something went wrong for me in the 80's. Other guys I taught with around my age echo the same thing. I don't know if the strike did it or? Now I've come back with daily interest but it will neve be quite the same.

kirkb
05-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Additional thoughts on Kaline. The negative behavior observed seems to occur when Al K is "jumped" unexpectedly for an autograph. I'm sure it gets tiring. There could be days when he is out in public where he is hit up continuously for autographs. A meal at a Detroit area restaurant probably impossible. Guess he just needs to use a stand pat no answer and walk away if he can. May 22? Where is this show? I'm GR a bit of a drive. I used to be a card dealer but just collect mostly Lions jerseys now.

legaleagle92481
05-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Some guys just don't like dealing with autograph requests when they are not being paid for it. I recall 15-20 years ago when it was more common for players to sign by mail for free, Al was one of those guys that it was a waste of postage to send stuff to. But then being a 3,000 hit clubber his autograph is extremely desirable to collectors and none of the other ones really are great inperson/mail signers either when they are not being paid except for Ripken and Gwynn. And with inscriptions items they will sign alot of guys are finicky look at his fellow 3,000 hit club members Carew won't sign single signed jerseys, Rickey, Eddie Murray, Aaron, Yaz and Willie Mays always have a list of items they won't sign.

This week he is pinch hitting for Ernie Harwell and accepting an award Ernie won on his behalf because Ernie is too ill to attend the award ceremony and he does not seem like a bad guy at all.

MLB_Authentic
05-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Legal- Funny story about Carew. He wont sign single signed bats either. SO a buddy of mine had a couple other guys sign a bat with dry erase marker and then had Carew sign it with sharpie. Once it dried, he just wiped off the dry erase signatures. Genius I tell ya.

skyking26
05-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Additional thoughts on Kaline. The negative behavior observed seems to occur when Al K is "jumped" unexpectedly for an autograph. I'm sure it gets tiring. There could be days when he is out in public where he is hit up continuously for autographs. A meal at a Detroit area restaurant probably impossible. Guess he just needs to use a stand pat no answer and walk away if he can. May 22? Where is this show? I'm GR a bit of a drive. I used to be a card dealer but just collect mostly Lions jerseys now.
DC Sports, Lakeside Mall, Sterling HTS

As I wrote, he was not so nice at most show appearances with consistancy. For the earlier writer, that was great you were able to get him to sign all those inscriptions...he informed DC Sports he'll only do 3007 Hits or HOF 80.

mbrieve
05-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Sadly, this is common knowledge about good ol' Mr. Tiger. He is very personable and nice at paid signings (I have attended two - one in the early-90's and one last year). But if you are unfortunate enough to meet up with him at spring training or out on the town, he can be a nightmare.

I'm not going to pretend to know what his deal is, but it probably has to do with being a public figure for over 50 years, not making near the money that today's players do (let's face it, he would have been a $20 million a year guy), and what he sees as people taking advantage of his kindness when giving his autograph in public.

I read an article a couple of years ago where Kaline stated that now that he is getting older, he can't remember names and faces as good, and it really upset him that people took advantage of his kindess by double-dipping (both IP and TTM).

Again, not defending the behavior, but I have only had good experiences with him, albeight they were paid appearances...

legaleagle92481
05-03-2010, 10:30 AM
The interesting thing with somebody like that is if he hates the attention so much just move out of Detriot. He could walk around most areas without anyone recognizing him. And he may not have made 20 million but when he played he made well more than the average person and those salary amounts look tiny now but in the 50's-70's that was a mint. Did anyone here make near the $100,000 in the early 70's like Al did? And I don't get guys who are not nice at paid signings or fans who tolerate it. If noone shows up see how their attitude will change when you pay for a signing you are a customer as well as a fan. If you go to eat someplace and people are rude or not nice would you go back there? Celebrities and athletes should get the same treatment. And the inscription thing I defintely do not get if you are willing to pay for it he should write anything you ask unless it is something outrageous and controversial.

skyking26
05-03-2010, 01:11 PM
The interesting thing with somebody like that is if he hates the attention so much just move out of Detriot. He could walk around most areas without anyone recognizing him. And he may not have made 20 million but when he played he made well more than the average person and those salary amounts look tiny now but in the 50's-70's that was a mint. Did anyone here make near the $100,000 in the early 70's like Al did? And I don't get guys who are not nice at paid signings or fans who tolerate it. If noone shows up see how their attitude will change when you pay for a signing you are a customer as well as a fan. If you go to eat someplace and people are rude or not nice would you go back there? Celebrities and athletes should get the same treatment. And the inscription thing I defintely do not get if you are willing to pay for it he should write anything you ask unless it is something outrageous and controversial.
Very well said.