PDA

View Full Version : Biggio Hat real?

stdrwt11
05-02-2010, 11:49 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260592352673&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Item comes with an LOA from MEARS. Thanks.

hiramman
05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Game-Used caps are a total crap shoot. Unless you purchase directly from the team and get a team LOA, or from someone like Steiner, or have the cap handed to you by a player then there is no real way to know if these recent caps are actual game-used or not.

The manufacturers sell the exact caps to the public in the exact sizes and styles worn by the players. I'm not speaking specifically about the Biggio cap, just game-used caps in general. I don't really collect many game-used caps other than Atlanta Braves caps, so I'm no expert on Astros caps; however, I prefer to purchase directly from the teams or from collectors/dealers I deal with all of the time and confidence in how they aquired their game-used caps.

legaleagle92481
05-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Game-Used caps are a total crap shoot. Unless you purchase directly from the team and get a team LOA, or from someone like Steiner, or have the cap handed to you by a player then there is no real way to know if these recent caps are actual game-used or not.

The manufacturers sell the exact caps to the public in the exact sizes and styles worn by the players. I'm not speaking specifically about the Biggio cap, just game-used caps in general. I don't really collect many game-used caps other than Atlanta Braves caps, so I'm no expert on Astros caps; however, I prefer to purchase directly from the teams or from collectors/dealers I deal with all of the time and confidence in how they aquired their game-used caps.

Your right, anyone can write a number on the hat also. I don't see how an authenticator could reasonably authenticate one that did not already have some provenance i.e. obtained directly from the team. Otherwise what is he going to do evaluate sweat patterns?