PDA

View Full Version : Washing game used jerseys

RKGIBSON
07-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I recieved a game used football jersey that I won in a auction recently. It was described as "unwashed", and it was. In conversation with the auction company I told them the jersey was great except the smell and that I was going to wash it. The guy proceeded to tell me not to as it would effect the value and I would possibly lose the photo match by removing the stains.
When the NFL started selling the game used jerseys in unwashed, right off the players back condition, that was great but some of these jerseys stink so bad or are so dirty that no one would want them in their house. So I have washed everyone that I have bought. I photograph them as they arrive then wash them in cold water. The dirt and some of the stains do come out. Most of the time some of the stains and smell remains. I actually have learned a lot about what a real used jersey that has been washed should look like and what will remain after the cleaning and what won't.
To leave the jerseys in a unwashed state for a long period of time has to have a deteriorating effect on it. My thoughts are it is more important to preserve the jersey more than worry about having the players smell on it. By documenting it with photos and what ever else you can do, like with the NFL stuff saving the shipping labels and evidence bag labels it is easy to say that this is the same jersey when I decide to sell it.
Any thoughts one this?

mr.miracle
07-08-2006, 09:08 PM
My guess is that if you plan on framing these or placing them in a jersey case for display in a room in your house that you would not want such a bad stink that you need to issue portable oxygen tanks and masks to guest who are viewing the collection. I guess it depends on what each collector is looking for.

Brett

Nathan
07-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I think it's Whirlpool that makes an upright washing machine that uses a combination of water and detergent to basically mist/steam garments clean. I'll see what information I can dig up on it.

If memory serves me right, it basically looks like an upright garment bag with a top-loading fill spot and runs about $250.

Nathan
07-08-2006, 09:56 PM
The item is called a Whirlpool LRF4001RY Fabric Freshener. Here's a couple link to some more information on it.

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=513

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7128805&type=product&id=1110265190293

sportscentury
07-08-2006, 10:43 PM
My advice: Don't touch it unless you have to ... and if you just can't stand the smell, try a little Febreze (a light spray of Febreze should do wonders and not affect your shirt at all).
Reid

metsbats
07-08-2006, 11:04 PM
I have a pair of Gary Carter's shin guards from the 1986 season which reek of sweat even 20 years later. It still has dirt on them and I'm careful not even to try to take some of the dirt off by accident. I think the odor on these shin guards though offensive adds to the authenticity and if there was ever a true DNA testing of these shin guards to match Gary's DNA to get a positive match to the fact that he did use them it will be possible:rolleyes:

Additionally I have one of Ed Hearn's 87 GU Royals jersey's which he was able to authenticate by the odor. (see the inscription on the back of this jersey)

-David