PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my Griffey

justinwc80
05-03-2010, 06:46 PM
As many of you know I've been looking for a Griffey jersey with good provenance for quite awhile. It cost me more than I had planned to spend but I was lucky enough to win the White Sox road jersey from the mlb.com auction. Here are the pics from the Auction lot and I'll post more when I receive it along with my other Griffey items. Thanks to all those who offered advice and insights in my search. If anyone has any personal photos from that season I would appreciate them for possible photo matching.

whatupyos
05-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Congrats on the pick up! Its always nice to win a jersey of your favorite player. Glad it landed to a good home. Enjoy your new piece.

Aaron

joelsabi
05-03-2010, 08:30 PM
As many of you know I've been looking for a Griffey jersey with good provenance for quite awhile. It cost me more than I had planned to spend but I was lucky enough to win the White Sox road jersey from the mlb.com auction. Here are the pics from the Auction lot and I'll post more when I receive it along with my other Griffey items. Thanks to all those who offered advice and insights in my search. If anyone has any personal photos from that season I would appreciate them for possible photo matching.

Congrats. i know you have been looking for the longest time for a Griffey jersey. Find it ironic that fom all the research for a Seattle Mariners Jersey you end up with a White Sox Jersey. As long as you are happy, that's all that matters.

legaleagle92481
05-03-2010, 10:38 PM
congrats you got a good deal considering they are so hard to find. glad to see someone find their white whale.

LastingsMilledge85
05-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Take a look at the front "7" and "GRIFFEY" on the back. They look similar, but I'm just quickly browsing.
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/82598657.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5481C12CF34D979792E F1DE8EC63BE7B801B22A19022AF18133
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/82598557.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548E9098912C845AAFA F1DE8EC63BE7B801AC3769A97DD7E982

kylehess10
05-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Congrats on the pick-up!

There's a loose black stitch on the "I" that you could match up as well as a loose white stich on the bottom of the second "F". Hopefully it's the same one!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/AAAA6423_Ken_Griffey,_Jr.jpg

kylehess10
05-04-2010, 12:49 AM
A few more you can make matches with:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/2805035178_378bdc21f5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/2805033044_fde4e95140_o.jpg

Lokee
05-04-2010, 01:00 AM
It must have been cold that day for Griffey :)

kylehess10
05-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Also I should add: the full-res pics I posted are copyrights to Keith Allison, who is a great photographer in Balitimore who shoots at Orioles games.

justinwc80
05-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Everyone, thanks so much for all the well wishes and the great photos, I can't wait to have the jersey in my hands to start matching. I did spend alot of time researching his Reds and Mariners jerseys, even emailing with Rick Stowe the Reds equipment manager about the Griffey jersey in the Grey Flannel auction. He said that one was authentic but GF called me and said they were pulling it since they couldn't photo match the pinstripes. But when I saw a jersey being offered from the team that was as good as I could ask for without Griffey giving it to me himself. If anyone is looking for examples of Griffey jerseys and information I am more than happy to pass on what I've found. And just some FYI I found that most of his jerseys that have good provenance have a 2 inch extra length customization although this seems to not always be the case when it comes to alternates, and found one jersey vest from his Seattle years that had his signed COA and did not have the extra length. Happy to help anyone else. Thanks again.

punch
05-05-2010, 10:07 AM
That jersey is pretty awesome, congrats.

rays54
05-05-2010, 11:27 AM
If interested I have several MLB baseballs w/Holo from Griffey's White Sox debut against the Royals

sox83cubs84
05-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Joel...nice grab!

Dave M.
Chicago area

grenda12
05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Sweet pick up! Congrats!

justinwc80
05-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Still working on the photo matching, it's set 2 so thinking its towards the end of the season.

justinwc80
05-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Pics

justinwc80
05-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Any help would be appreciated!

Tay1038
05-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Justinwc08 - Can you please shoot me an email please. My email is tay1038@aol.com

Thank you.
Taylor

salukidave
05-23-2010, 03:02 AM
I can tell you this...

There was one Griffey jersey that showed obvious use among the handful of Griffeys available at the Soxfest Garage Sale this past January. I bought it. It was a Cool Base Set 1 home white. Every photo and baseball card that I've seen of him wearing a home white uniform matches the jersey, and that includes playoff photos. Going by that and judging by the use the jersey exhibits, I think it's very possible, even likely, that it's the only Sox home white jersey that Griffey wore.

I heard that his Set 1 alternate black jersey is displayed in the Scout Seats Lounge memorabilia display. If it's true that Griffey wore only Set 1 of each jersey, then that leaves his grey road jersey as the only Set 1 that's not accounted for.

I'm not saying Griffey never wore a Set 2. I'm just reporting what I know about the Set 1 white home jersey and what I encounted at the Garage Sale. The Sox do not differentiate between game-used and game-issued jerseys at their Garage and Yard Sales. Many are game used, but plenty are not. The only way to know is to check the wear on a given jersey. I don't know about the game-used items that wind up in their online charity auctions. The pictures and descriptions are not good enough for me to feel comfortable paying a lot of money for an item in those auctions. You really don't know exactly what you're getting.

Neely8
05-23-2010, 09:54 AM
The Majestic tag looks barely washed on that road Sox jersey. How does the one look on the home that you got from Soxfest? That should tell a lot about the authenticity of this road Griffey.

Tay1038
05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't usually chime in on these subjects as I try to keep my collection private but hopefully what I have to say helps out in some way. I acquired a Set 2 black alternate Griffey Jr. The jersey is absolutely beat to the heat. The 0062 wash tag is very soft and very faded. The Majestic Authentic tag shows tons of puckering. The overall wear on the jersey matches up with the consistency of the tag wear. There are numerous loose threads on the lettering and numbering. I think by what I see with my jersey it is very possible that Justin's Set 2 Road was used during the season. Sure it may not show the use mine and Salukiedave's does but it definitely gives it more hope that it saw game action. I'd be curious to know how much use the Set 1 black displays.

salukidave
05-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I can't tell you about the Majestic tag as my jersey is currently in storage, but I'm sure it shows wear like the rest of the jersey. I can report that the wash tag looks like it's been through the ringer, much like the one of the pictured black jersey.

I can't tell you anything about the black jersey in the Scout Seats Lounge display as I haven't been in the lounge for awhile. Someone told me that a Griffey black jersey was displayed there. I'll be on the lookout for it the next time I'm there, though my guess is others around here might beat me to it. I've never sat in Scout Seats in my life. The time I was in the lounge was were when the Sox held their in-season clubhouse sale. They opened the lounge during that time. When I was there Moose Skowron was signing autographs in it.

It's interesting that the pictured black jersey is a regular jersey as opposed to a Cool Base. These days, most, if not all, Sox players wear the Cool Base versions, at least most of the time. My home white Griffey is a Cool Base and it looks like the pictured grey one is a Cool Base, too.

As I wrote earlier, literally every photo that I've seen of Griffey wearing a white home jersey matches my jersey. That's what led to my speculation that perhaps he wore only one set of each jersey for the rest of the 2008 season after being acquired by the Sox on July 31. Of course, he still could have worn multiple sets of each jersey.

Good luck in your quest to photo match the grey jersey.

karamaxjoe
05-23-2010, 04:25 PM
It was a Cool Base Set 1 home white. Every photo and baseball card that I've seen of him wearing a home white uniform matches the jersey, and that includes playoff photos.

Hey Dave, that means you own the Griffey in this playoff photo and I own the Konerko. Happy collecting!!

justinwc80
05-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah photos up close from late in season are tough to find right now.

justinwc80
06-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Well Dave I can now confirm that your theory seems to be correct about one of each jerseys worn by Griffey. After examining the home set 2 I received and returning it since it had zero use the Sox sent me pics of all the jerseys they had remaining. They said that the only one that might have been used was a home pinstripe. I looked at the pictures they sent and can verify that it appears he only wore one home jersey all year and you have it. Also I was told the clubhouse manager thought he only wore the cool base jerseys, although the regular versions were made for him as well (they also had a grey non cool base they sent pics of to me, but showed no use). They were very upfront and honest with me about what they knew and apologized for the trouble and are giving me a refund. Also every jersey they sent me pics of was a set 2. Collectors looking at purchasing should look for a set 1 since those seem to be the ones actually used. Hope this helps someone else and my search continues if anyone is willing to part with a Griffey.

karamaxjoe
06-29-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm curious who from the Sox gave you the infomation? Every time I call or email them, they avoid me like the plague.

platinum1
06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm curious who from the Sox gave you the infomation? Every time I call or email them, they avoid me like the plague.
Yup same with me.
They also like to give the run around

legaleagle92481
06-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Well Dave I can now confirm that your theory seems to be correct about one of each jerseys worn by Griffey. After examining the home set 2 I received and returning it since it had zero use the Sox sent me pics of all the jerseys they had remaining. They said that the only one that might have been used was a home pinstripe. I looked at the pictures they sent and can verify that it appears he only wore one home jersey all year and you have it. Also I was told the clubhouse manager thought he only wore the cool base jerseys, although the regular versions were made for him as well (they also had a grey non cool base they sent pics of to me, but showed no use). They were very upfront and honest with me about what they knew and apologized for the trouble and are giving me a refund. Also every jersey they sent me pics of was a set 2. Collectors looking at purchasing should look for a set 1 since those seem to be the ones actually used. Hope this helps someone else and my search continues if anyone is willing to part with a Griffey.

Try BallPark Heros they have one on Ebay now, they are reputable but I cannot speak to the use of the item the auction just says it was obtained from the team.

justinwc80
06-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Mike, PM me and I can get you some contact info.

Neely8
07-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Oh the irony...

justinwc80
07-01-2010, 09:28 AM
I won't take the bait, but on a better note just purchased a Mariners Griffey with Coast to Coast COA that is signed and shows good use. I will post pics once it arrives. Thanks again for all those who have emailed me with tips and leads. I have the White Sox contact info if someone needs it.

justinwc80
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Its a 1997 Home jersey and undershirt both with Coast to Coast COAs from Jeff Johnson, shows good use. Very Excited, thanks again to everyone who helped me in my pursuit.

Danny899
07-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Justin, thats a beauty! Congrats. Enjoy it!

Dan