PDA

View Full Version : BMH: Slope test?

Birdbats
05-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Brian, could you briefly explain the slope test that's performed on maple bats?

What would a failed test spot look like (not that any H&B bat has ever failed :))?

When did the testing start? If I have a bat from late 2008 and there's no spot, should I consider that suspicious?

And did the location of the spot/test change in 2009 after the center brand rotated 90 degrees?
I've included a photo of three bats with slope test spots -- can you tell me anything about these bats based on the spots? Thanks for helping me understand this.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Slopetests.jpg

BMH
05-05-2010, 08:37 PM
LOL!

This year, we had 140 bats fail slope of grain. I would say at least 20 of them were over 5 degrees. Those would be easily seen by the naked eye without the gauge. Then again, we made 11,000 bats for ST so 2% isn't all that bad. I guess it's all in perspective.

Anyway, I requested some of the failed bats sent back to H&B to use as learning tools. The failed bats we received would have a line drawn by TECO through the ink spot to verify the slope. Most would also have a number written near it indicating the degree. If it did fail, it would be stamped with "TECO" in an oval and a "XX" to go with it on the knobs. That would indicate a failed bat.

Testing started in the Spring of 2009. Bats already in the hands of players and IN THE CLUBHOUSE were tested by TECO. If they passed, they were allowed for game use. If they didn't, they would mark them and would only be allowed for BP.

The bat on the far left looks like the typical spot I see on Marucci bats. The other two, not so much...They were obviously "inked" under the clear coat, that is why you have the runoff on the middle bat and you can see it on the far right one too. It's hard to tell from the pics but all three look to have passed. Though the middle and far right bat look to be inked on the wrong side. Marucci did not attend any of the first meetings about ink dot testing with MLB so they might have misunderstood the new rules when they were sent to them.

I hope this helps.

Birdbats
05-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks, Brian!

camarokids
05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I have a Akinori Iwamura Nike Bat with TECO in an oval stamped on the knob end.

I was wondering what that was about. Funny thing the bat shows a ton of use.

I will post pics.....

Birdbats
05-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Brian, you said testing started in the spring of 2009, but the two Marucci bats pictured were made 8/25/08. If they were inked under the clear coat -- which one would assume was applied when they were manufactured -- that would be long before spring 2009. If they were inked in the spring of 2009, the ink would be on top of the clear coat. I'm confused.

camarokids
05-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Here is a pic of the knob....

Link to thread with all pics of my Aki bats....

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33759

camarokids
05-05-2010, 10:28 PM
I see now. It has the TECO stamp to show it was tested. There are no XX marks so the bat passed the slope test.

Right?

So does this mean the bat has to be a 2009?

BMH
05-05-2010, 10:47 PM
I see now. It has the TECO stamp to show it was tested. There are no XX marks so the bat passed the slope test.

Right?

So does this mean the bat has to be a 2009?

No, TECO tested all bats they found in the clubhouse. TECO would do an ink test and pass/fail the bat. I assume that is what happened with the Marucci bats.

rose14
05-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Brian,

I just wanted to let you know that I sent you a private message.

Thanks
Todd

justinwc80
05-06-2010, 09:34 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081209&content_id=3708319&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Article about slope test for those like me that didn't know what it exactly meant.

joelsabi
05-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I came across this by accident when checking out this new bat company's website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dapr-FDqPzU&feature=player_embedded

he explains it with visuals.

yankees506
05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
any one know if any mlb players use Rock Bats???