PDA

View Full Version : Advice- inaccurately described auction from MLB Auctions

Mattingly85MVP
05-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I won an auction recently for a "Mike Harkey #57 2009 Yankees Opening Day Game Used Home Jersey w/ Inaugural Season Patch (52) (MLB Auth)" ...key words in the auction title "W/ INAUGURAL SEASON PATCH"- so I just received the jersey today and lo and behold THERE WAS NO INAUGURAL SEASON Patch!!! Despite the MLB Authentication number saying that its from the first regular season game played at the New Yankee Stadium (4/16/09), I question its authenticity as from that actual game or even from last season at all since there is no patch on it.
now, Do I :
A.) bitch and moan and try to return the jersey for a full refund?
or just keep it and doubt its authenticity for the rest of my life since I can't find a photo match since he's the bullpen coach?

Thanks for the help

BrewCrewSackers
05-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Yeah be careful! That CC Sabitha jacket they had up had the hologram number in the listing. When you entered it at mlb it said it was someone else's jacket. I couldn't even tell you who it was I had never heard of him.

legaleagle92481
05-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I won an auction recently for a "Mike Harkey #57 2009 Yankees Opening Day Game Used Home Jersey w/ Inaugural Season Patch (52) (MLB Auth)" ...key words in the auction title "W/ INAUGURAL SEASON PATCH"- so I just received the jersey today and lo and behold THERE WAS NO INAUGURAL SEASON Patch!!! Despite the MLB Authentication number saying that its from the first regular season game played at the New Yankee Stadium (4/16/09), I question its authenticity as from that actual game or even from last season at all since there is no patch on it.
now, Do I :
A.) bitch and moan and try to return the jersey for a full refund?
or just keep it and doubt its authenticity for the rest of my life since I can't find a photo match since he's the bullpen coach?

Thanks for the help

Sometimes the item is incorrectly described in the database. I have a Thome gamer (signed and inscribed as gu) that I bought directly from the White Sox on MLB auctions that is described in the databse as a "Johnson" spring training bat. If a patch is missing I would just return it as having questions about an item just is not worth it and other Harkey jerseys will hit the market. You could try calling Steiner i am sure they would reserve you one or maybe they have one even.

BULBUS
05-05-2010, 10:30 AM
If the jersey has the 2009 year tag, it could either be a spring training game 1 jersey or it was worn during the exhibition game against the cubs. Neither jersey had the inaugural patch.

I would try and return it, item not as described.

-Chris

NeonStatus
05-05-2010, 04:55 PM
This is really a big problem. These items have to be properly labeled and authenticated. Someone should be repremanded for their failure to do their job correctly. These items are not cheap and we are paying a premium to have the used item from the player mentioned. There should not be any question marks when purchasing from mlb.

Mattingly85MVP
05-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Since it didn't have the patch but did have the tagging as 2009 I figured it was either used during ST or the exhibition games vs. Cubs...in any event, I received an email from MLB Auctions...so hopefully I can get the refund
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. I have contacted the vendor regarding your
inquiry. I will contact you once I receive a response.

Regards,
RP, MLB.com Auctions

legaleagle92481
05-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Since it didn't have the patch but did have the tagging as 2009 I figured it was either used during ST or the exhibition games vs. Cubs...in any event, I received an email from MLB Auctions...so hopefully I can get the refund
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. I have contacted the vendor regarding your
inquiry. I will contact you once I receive a response.

Regards,
RP, MLB.com Auctions

the vendor i assume is steiner or steiner-yankees so im sure youll get the refund. steiner takes anything back within 30 days of purchase.

Mattingly85MVP
05-05-2010, 10:03 PM
what bothers me the most is that all I wanted was a piece from the first game in New Yankee Stadium history and I get screwed out of that...it would have been cool to look back 40 years from now and say I have something from that game. Imagine having a jersey from someone that was part of the first game at the original Yankee Stadium

LastingsMilledge85
05-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Well think of it this way, if that jersey is from the exhibition games then that really is from the first game at the new stadium. Knowing that they can't get anything right though, who knows when exactly your jersey was worn. I believe though the Yankees wear bp tops in spring so it could have never been worn then. I would say it's either a photo day jersey or exhibition game jersey.

BULBUS
05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Well think of it this way, if that jersey is from the exhibition games then that really is from the first game at the new stadium. Knowing that they can't get anything right though, who knows when exactly your jersey was worn. I believe though the Yankees wear bp tops in spring so it could have never been worn then. I would say it's either a photo day jersey or exhibition game jersey.

lastings,

not sure when exactly it started, but for a while now, the yankees wear their pinstripes during the first home spring training game.

TFig27
05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
what bothers me the most is that all I wanted was a piece from the first game in New Yankee Stadium history and I get screwed out of that...it would have been cool to look back 40 years from now and say I have something from that game. Imagine having a jersey from someone that was part of the first game at the original Yankee Stadium

Like Damon's jersey he wore when he collected the first hit ever at the stadium? :D

Good luck with the jersey and I would contact Steiner directly.