PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Braden throws perfect game

Manram
05-09-2010, 06:28 PM
What a day for A's fans. I was at the game and the Rays could not touch him. Any thoughts from other A's fans???

schubert1970
05-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I live in Stockton and can tell you this is a huge deal here. The whole town is excited, can't wait to read the paper tomorrow. I use to watch him play when he was on on A ball club the Ports.

Wish I could snag a game used jersey of his, but prices will be to high for a while.

schubert1970
05-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Also, I heard Dallas bought the tickets in section 209 (also the area code for Stockton) for a bunch of people in Stockton. During the game the kept showing the folks in section 209, how exciting.

Just bought a ticket from ebay.

LastingsMilledge85
05-09-2010, 09:34 PM
After losing his mother to breast cancer, this could of not happened to a better person on a better day. This really is the story of the year just fantastic, unbelievable, and heartfelt.

legaleagle92481
05-09-2010, 11:17 PM
it was a great achievement but i am not a fan. the way he used arod for his 15 minutes of fame prior to this and created a major news story out of nothing and kept trying to extend it was absurd. his comments implying a fight the next time the two teams play in two months were particularly crazy as arod has two inches and about 40 pounds on him so i doubt he would fare too well in a fight with him. the game was also an aberation as he is almost 27 and has been a below average pitcher. it is sad how he lost his mother and great how he bought tickets for people from the 209 but he needs to filter his comments to the media and show respect for veteran players.

Manram
05-09-2010, 11:23 PM
I understand what you are saying, but this kid has had great stuff for a long time and finally put it all together. He had the lowest run support in the AL last year. A-Rod also has to watch what he says though, saying he wanted his 15 minutes of fame. He should not have said that

spartakid
05-10-2010, 12:18 AM
it was a great achievement but i am not a fan. the way he used arod for his 15 minutes of fame prior to this and created a major news story out of nothing and kept trying to extend it was absurd. his comments implying a fight the next time the two teams play in two months were particularly crazy as arod has two inches and about 40 pounds on him so i doubt he would fare too well in a fight with him. the game was also an aberation as he is almost 27 and has been a below average pitcher. it is sad how he lost his mother and great how he bought tickets for people from the 209 but he needs to filter his comments to the media and show respect for veteran players.

But don't you think it was just as disrespectful for A-Rod to break a clear unwritten rule, probably assuming that Braden wouldn't say anything because he's A-Rod. He was then probably then caught off guard when Braden stood his ground. I would be willing to bet that Rodriguez wouldn't have done that when Maddux or Johnson was on the hill. Although Braden won't ever be in the same echelon as A-Rod, he really does appear to have some egg on his face with his 15 minutes of fame comment.

STLHAMMER32
05-10-2010, 12:23 AM

The media is the one that gave him his "15 minutes" of fame but now he is apart of baseball history. Good for him. I think he was making a statement for his team that they wouldn't just be disrespected this year. It's his mound and he took offense to it. I like the intensity, written rule or not. Arod doesnt command the same respect as a guy like Jeter and the players all recognize that. He lost his mother, pitched a perfect game on mothers day with his grandma who raised him as his mother, watching in the stands.....congrats to him.

legaleagle92481
05-10-2010, 12:55 AM
But don't you think it was just as disrespectful for A-Rod to break a clear unwritten rule, probably assuming that Braden wouldn't say anything because he's A-Rod. He was then probably then caught off guard when Braden stood his ground. I would be willing to bet that Rodriguez wouldn't have done that when Maddux or Johnson was on the hill. Although Braden won't ever be in the same echelon as A-Rod, he really does appear to have some egg on his face with his 15 minutes of fame comment.

Arod probably did not realize that he did something to offend anyone at the time he did it. Many players from other teams that have been interviewed have expressed the opinion that he did nothing wrong so i disagree that such is a clear unwritten rule. the 15 minutes of fame thing was true at the time it got him in the news frequently at a time when few people outside of oakland had any idea who he was and his play was below average. so arod had no reason to suspect that suddendly this guy was going to become a star. today was just one game and a career it does not make. len barker, mitt witt, charlie robertson and tom browning also threw perfect games and they are not exactly legends of the game. perfect games require a tremendous amount of luck in addition to skill. the bottomline is if he reverts to prior form from here on out this game will be quickly forgotten.

spartakid
05-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I've read/heard that it's pretty much common knowledge that you don't walk over the mound, and I'm sure a seasoned player like A-Rod knows that, whether he had a lapse in judgement or not.

STLHAMMER32
05-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I've read/heard that it's pretty much common knowledge that you don't walk over the mound, and I'm sure a seasoned player like A-Rod knows that, whether he had a lapse in judgement or not.

Its the first time I think anyone has done or seen it happen. Id compare it to someone putting on another players glove. It's something you just don't do but some wouldnt mind while others would be highly offended. Braden is one of those pitchers who gets in the zone for his pitching days, stays focused and pitches with intensity. He isn't a laid back type. He used it to get fired up and looks to be pitching with a chip on his shoulder now. Athletes are always looking for an edge and added fuel. Good for him I say. If I'm his teammate I like the fact he takes offense to someone going on his mound.

legaleagle92481
05-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I am not an AROD and I think he has done alot in his career both on (the HA play vs. Toronto; trying to swipe the ball out of the fielder's glove vs. the Sox) and off (cavorting with strippers and Madonna publicly while married with small childern, using PEDs, announcing he had opted out of his contract during a world series game that the Sox were playing) that is downright classless and revolting and the guy is defintely a lightning rod for controversey. But that being said love him or loathe him he is an amazing player easily one of the top three of this era with Griffey and Pujols and when he was Dallas' age he had a 252 million dollar contract. And if say Randy Winn or Ramiro Pena had walked across the mound rather than AROD would Dallas Braden have reacted the same way? Would the media have even bothered covering the story for so long if he did? So to me the guy is nothing but a fame seeker with a big mouth and it is ironic that shortly after he goes out and actually does something on the field for the first time to merit media and public attention. If he was that offended by what Arod did he should have done what Gibson, Drysdale or Clemens would have done and put the next pitch in someone's back and moved on.

STLHAMMER32
05-10-2010, 09:39 AM
I am not an AROD and I think he has done alot in his career both on (the HA play vs. Toronto; trying to swipe the ball out of the fielder's glove vs. the Sox) and off (cavorting with strippers and Madonna publicly while married with small childern, using PEDs, announcing he had opted out of his contract during a world series game that the Sox were playing) that is downright classless and revolting and the guy is defintely a lightning rod for controversey. But that being said love him or loathe him he is an amazing player easily one of the top three of this era with Griffey and Pujols and when he was Dallas' age he had a 252 million dollar contract. And if say Randy Winn or Ramiro Pena had walked across the mound rather than AROD would Dallas Braden have reacted the same way? Would the media have even bothered covering the story for so long if he did? So to me the guy is nothing but a fame seeker with a big mouth and it is ironic that shortly after he goes out and actually does something on the field for the first time to merit media and public attention. If he was that offended by what Arod did he should have done what Gibson, Drysdale or Clemens would have done and put the next pitch in someone's back and moved on.

I think you just established a few of the reasons Arod does not get the same respect as a Griffey or a Pujols. You can dislike the guy for the way he handled it but I doubt that when he started yelling at Arod he thought "this will make me famous" in the split second he had to think about it. More than likely you are looking at a guy who already despised A-Rod for being an arrogant prick in his mind and then seeing him run across the mound probably was enough to spark a flame. Do you really think this was a preconceived planned to get famous?

Manram
05-10-2010, 09:44 AM

Dallas does have a big mouth, even though most of it is his intensity. But i also believe A-Rod thinks he has a lot of respect around the league, which i don't believe he has anymore after what he did. Guys respect people who played the game clean and were great while doing that, like Jeter

yankees506
05-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Another thread spinning wildly outta control, lets get back to talking about the game! one thing that hasnt been mentioned is the fact that this happened in a game that is going to have items from the game auctioned off........ i can only imagine what a pink bat from the rays (who managed no hits with any of the bats) will sell for.....talk about doing a public service....hats off braden, u just made the komen foundation an incredible amount of money

whatupyos
05-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Another thread spinning wildly outta control, lets get back to talking about the game! one thing that hasnt been mentioned is the fact that this happened in a game that is going to have items from the game auctioned off........ i can only imagine what a pink bat from the rays (who managed no hits with any of the bats) will sell for.....talk about doing a public service....hats off braden, u just made the komen foundation an incredible amount of money

Good point. Threads that have no purpose being on a Game Used site that go nowhere fast! And some people wonder where all of the valuable members have vanished too. Its because of crap like this. A thread that was well intentioned but in my opinion had no business being on a game used site since it didn't have anything to do with game used.

I would guess the bats would sell well being that they were used in a perfect game. Hits or not, they were still used to make contact and the Rays have some quality players who I'm sure people on here root for. Will be interesting to see how well they sell.

joelsabi
05-10-2010, 02:31 PM

Thank you for putting the emphasis back on Braden and his accomplishment. That was the point of the original post.

I wish the media would have asked Braden's grandmother about the family loss because of cancer but unfortunately the public media panders toward the lower common denominator when attracting its audience.

Dewey2007
05-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Good point. Threads that have no purpose being on a Game Used site that go nowhere fast! And some people wonder where all of the valuable members have vanished too. Its because of crap like this. A thread that was well intentioned but in my opinion had no business being on a game used site since it didn't have anything to do with game used.

I would guess the bats would sell well being that they were used in a perfect game. Hits or not, they were still used to make contact and the Rays have some quality players who I'm sure people on here root for. Will be interesting to see how well they sell.

That's why they created the General Sports Discussion section that this thread is in. It used to be threads like this cluttered up the Game Used discussions section.

Anyhow, hats off to Braden for his perfect game. I didn't go myself but to bad there were only 12,000 + fans there to see it in person. Maybe this will get the A's going on a nice winning streak.

LastingsMilledge85
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Do you really think though that asking Dallas or another family member of the loss of his mother would have been appropriate at that time? It's probably best to just leave that part of his life alone unless of course he brings it up.

legaleagle92481
05-10-2010, 03:37 PM

This part is for general sports talk nowhere does it say it is limited to GU discussion. It is a sports news event and I don't see how there is anything wrong with some of us having different opinions about the athlete who made the news and the recent AROD controversey is relevant to discuss along with the event as even si.com has done. Noone is insulting with or arguing with each other or discussing things beyond sports.

legaleagle92481
05-10-2010, 03:52 PM
As far as auctions anything from the game will sell very high. Nohitter stuff (mostly baseballs) has went for a mint on MLB auctions and nohitters happen like once or twice a year most seasons, while as we all now know their have been only 19 pgs in baseball's long history. Personally the item I would want most from a nohitter or pg is a baseball the pitcher used in the game because it was something personally used by that player while he made history. Yeah I would love to have a jersey or hat or cleats or glove but such is unlikely to hit the market and belongs in a musuem rather than someone's home other than the players' or someone he is close to. I would not want a bat from the other team because all it is is a symbol of futility. It is like having the cleats a defender wore when he got burned by a historic td or the mask a goalie had on when a historic goal was scored on him.

Schmoozer
05-11-2010, 11:54 PM
As far as auctions anything from the game will sell very high. Nohitter stuff (mostly baseballs) has went for a mint on MLB auctions and nohitters happen like once or twice a year most seasons, while as we all now know their have been only 19 pgs in baseball's long history. Personally the item I would want most from a nohitter or pg is a baseball the pitcher used in the game because it was something personally used by that player while he made history. Yeah I would love to have a jersey or hat or cleats or glove but such is unlikely to hit the market and belongs in a musuem rather than someone's home other than the players' or someone he is close to. I would not want a bat from the other team because all it is is a symbol of futility. It is like having the cleats a defender wore when he got burned by a historic td or the mask a goalie had on when a historic goal was scored on him.

I am apologizing right up front for not discussing the great accomplishment of Braden and his team.

But legal.

Maybe it's just me, but you are becoming exhausting.

legaleagle92481
05-12-2010, 08:21 AM
I am apologizing right up front for not discussing the great accomplishment of Braden and his team.

But legal.

Maybe it's just me, but you are becoming exhausting.

If you don't like my posts don't read them.

Danny899
05-12-2010, 09:04 AM
If you don't like my posts don't read them.

I don't think Schmoozer is trying to insult you or be abrasive with you. It sounds to me like he meant it's exhausting trying to keep up with all your many posts and responses to nearly every topic that develops on the forum. So it might be hard not to read them like you suggest because they're nearly everywhere. Don't take it the wrong way, I don't think he doesn't like them.

That perfect game was a beauty to watch and I sure wish I could obtain something from it. Great game, Braden!!

legaleagle92481
05-12-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't think Schmoozer is trying to insult you or be abrasive with you. It sounds to me like he meant it's exhausting trying to keep up with all your many posts and responses to nearly every topic that develops on the forum. So it might be hard not to read them like you suggest because they're nearly everywhere. Don't take it the wrong way, I don't think he doesn't like them.

That perfect game was a beauty to watch and I sure wish I could obtain something from it. Great game, Braden!!

Too few people actively post on this forum. It is like the same 15-20 people on every thread though the forum has over 5,000 members. Rather than lurk like apparently alot of people do I try to put my input in whenever I can.

coxfan
05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
As a South Carolina gamecock fan, the first thing I checked when I saw about the perfect game was whether recent gamecock Landon Powell was catching. He was; but I was amazed that our local news media initially overlooked this though it was caught fairly quickly. Another recent gamecock, Steve Tolleson, was recently briefly on the A's, but I think he must be back in the minors.

A side observation for A's fans: Powell and Kurt Suzuki caught against each other in the 2004 College World Series. Suzuki's team, Cal-State Fullerton, won that year though South Carolina ( who finished third) won one game against them. Of course, Suzuki would've probably been catching Braden on Sunday instead of Powell except for his injury.