PDA

View Full Version : Too cheap to be legit?

mntentman
05-10-2010, 12:15 AM
I just ran across this forum in an effort to see if some Twins jerseys I see listed on eBay are legit. At $40 for what are usually $200+ jerseys, I just can't believe they are. Especially since I see the "7" on Mauer's jersey is different style in different photos.

I am not a collector, just trying to get my daughter a jersey at less than retail. But I don't want a fake. Can anyone comment? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160431608323&Category=60597&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1#ht_1038wt _941

hiramman
05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm not an expert on retail jerseys, but it looks to be a cheap knock-off from China. I usually go to MLB.com and then compare their jerseys to the ones on ebay. The numbers almost always look different on the fake retail jerseys.

You are aware that that you are looking at retail store or souvenir versions of Mauer jerseys and not actual jerseys that Mauer wore, right?

mntentman
05-10-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm not an expert on retail jerseys, but it looks to be a cheap knock-off from China. I usually go to MLB.com and then compare their jerseys to the ones on ebay. The numbers almost always look different on the fake retail jerseys.

You are aware that that you are looking at retail store or souvenir versions of Mauer jerseys and not actual jerseys that Mauer wore, right?

Thanks. Yes, I am not looking for game used.

On some of his stuff, the numbers look OK, others not so much. They did look close in comparison to the MLB pics but that may just mean a nice imitation. Can't tell without touching. (And I see he won't allow returns.) I just can't believe a legit jersey would sell this cheap.

Metsfan808
05-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Ask yourself, why would someone sell a $240 jersey for $40?? When you consider that Majestic sells their jerseys wholesale to the retailers for half of the retail price, at best you can buy a Mauer jersey wholesale for $120, why would you sell them at a $80 loss??

There are some legit sellers on eBay who buy closeout discontinued and factory seconds directly from Majestic and sell them at a reduced price but I have never seen a legit Mauer jersey from any of those sellers. You can get a blank Twins jersey and have it customized from one of those sellers. It would save you money but it will cost you more than $40 just to have it customized.

gnishiyama
05-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Yes those are 100% complete fake jerseys. You can tell by the material used for the lettering and a closeup of the size and Majestic tagging (which the seller chose not to show)would show obvious differences from an
authentic jersey. I'm disappointed that Ebay does not do a better job regulating these but I guess they have bigger fish to fry. Its gotten to be
so bad that I've seen top memorabilia companies use these knock-offs
for signings. I just hope they are doing it unknowingly.

For 100% authentic jerseys I would recommend Ebay seller: PTF Sports
http://stores.ebay.com/ptfsports

and for Mitchell and Ness Ebay seller: Lakeshow2

I am not affiliated with either but I have personally dealt with both and have been very happy. They buy closeouts or make bulk purchases from
the manufacturer so they can pass the savings to the customer.

Hope this helps
Goh Nishiyama