PDA

View Full Version : Cool Night With Rex Hudler and Troy Percival

Rob L
05-11-2010, 11:24 PM
So following being uncermoniously dumped as a broadcaster by the Angels, Rex Hudler returned to the radio today on the Angels station at the ESPN Zone at Disneyland. Today was his first show back. As I'm leaving my office tonite, I tune in and hear that he is having Troy Percival as a guest. I immediately made a U-turn, headed back to my office, and picked up my Cards jersey, four Tigers jerseys and the Angels Rookie Spring Training jersey that I have. I got to the ESPN zone about 15 minutes after Percival went on. During the show, I had walked up with the jerseys and Hudler was freaking out, wondering if they were for charity. I told him they were just part of my Percival collection and were all gamers. Hudler asked if he could buy one for me for his charity auction "Team Up for Downs Syndrome". His first son was born with Downs Syndrome. I told him I would talk to him after his show.

Percival signed all the jerseys for me and told me he was wondering where his Tiger jerseys had gone since that was one of the only ones he doesn't have. After talking with Troy, I found Rex and gave him one of the Detroit road jerseys to use for his auction. He ended up wearing it for the rest of the show. He was genuinely stoked to get and took my address.

Anyways, the night was pretty cool.

gorilla777
05-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Hey Rob,

I was actually there too, with my wife, as Rex is a client and a friend of mine. We have gone the last few years to their Team Up All-Star Game Fundraiser at Angel Stadium. He has some nice charity items from the players that come thru town during the year. Rex is a friend to everyone and is truly as nice as he seems. It was a great show tonight. He said next week the guest will be Jim Abbott, another fan favorite.

Ben

joelsabi
05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
So following being uncermoniously dumped as a broadcaster by the Angels, Rex Hudler returned to the radio today on the Angels station at the ESPN Zone at Disneyland. Today was his first show back. As I'm leaving my office tonite, I tune in and hear that he is having Troy Percival as a guest. I immediately made a U-turn, headed back to my office, and picked up my Cards jersey, four Tigers jerseys and the Angels Rookie Spring Training jersey that I have. I got to the ESPN zone about 15 minutes after Percival went on. During the show, I had walked up with the jerseys and Hudler was freaking out, wondering if they were for charity. I told him they were just part of my Percival collection and were all gamers. Hudler asked if he could buy one for me for his charity auction "Team Up for Downs Syndrome". His first son was born with Downs Syndrome. I told him I would talk to him after his show.

Percival signed all the jerseys for me and told me he was wondering where his Tiger jerseys had gone since that was one of the only ones he doesn't have. After talking with Troy, I found Rex and gave him one of the Detroit road jerseys to use for his auction. He ended up wearing it for the rest of the show. He was genuinely stoked to get and took my address.

Anyways, the night was pretty cool.

Rob,

Great story and Great cause. You have incredible timing with your favorites. This reminded of your other encounter you shared awhile back. Thanks for sharing.

dcgreg25
05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Rob, congrats what a great experience! A very nice contribution for a great cause as well.

Rob L
05-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys. It was a cool night. Like Ben said, two weeks from now is Jim Abbott on the show. Time to pull out the Abbott jersey!!

jgoldstein2000
05-13-2010, 10:56 PM
awesome story

LastingsMilledge85
05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Rob, what a gracious thing to do, really deserve a pat on the back for that. As a player collector similar to you, I would find it near impossible to part with a Milledge jersey. That really is fantastic what you did, and for a great cause.

NeonStatus
05-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Sound like you had a good time while helping out a charity. It must have been hard giving up a game used of the guy you collect.

kj33706
05-15-2010, 11:24 PM
great story indeed, i got to meet rex when he came in town with the angles when they played the stl. cards. signed a baseball for me to add to my collection of cards players and was very very nice....... i would love to get a troy percival ball ( in time i will get one) but thats a great story it so nice to meet stars and former stars that are great i don't have the time to meet jerks who think they are above others.................... great story...... GOOD LUCK REX i'm pulling for ya

kj

Rob L
05-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Sound like you had a good time while helping out a charity. It must have been hard giving up a game used of the guy you collect.

It was funny. I thought about it for a second and wondered if I should give up one of my jerseys. But Rex is cool and we have been supportive of Team Up for Down Syndrome before, so it wasn't that hard, particularly since I had two of the Detroit Road jerseys. I'm glad it will help.

As an aside, we met Tim Salmon this weekend at a book signing. My son has a 2002 jersey had been signed by the whole World Series team, excluding Garret Anderson and Tim Salmon. We picked up Garret about three yearss ago. Tim Salmon was cool and signed the jersey even though the bookstore indicated that no memorabilia would be signed.