PDA

View Full Version : MLB have a particular uniform policy?

LastingsMilledge85
05-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Was watching last night's Orioles game, and never before have I seen a team wear their BP jerseys during a regular season game. Does MLB have particular rules and what is allowed to be worn during game play or something along those lines?

BradleyERyon
05-12-2010, 08:19 PM
My understanding from when the O's got their new uniforms before the 2009 season was that they designed the BP uniforms with players' numbers, etc. specifically so that they could also be used during games as sort of an alternate alternate jersey if you will.

sox83cubs84
05-13-2010, 03:46 PM
The first individual example of this was Pete Rose wearing his Phillies BP jersey in the 1979 All-Star Game. As a team, the first I can recall was the 1994 Cubs. Winless in April at home, they wore their road caps and BP tops for a night game against the Reds. The charm didn't work for them (Cubs lost 9-0) but it worked for me just fine, as I caught a Bret Boone home run on the fly in the LF Family Section.:D :D :D

Dave M.
Chicago area

orioles03
05-13-2010, 11:25 PM
The reason they wore the orange bp jerseys was due to them giving out the orange t shirts they will wear them on t shirt Tuesday nights

tacprc
05-14-2010, 11:55 AM
As regards Pete Rose wearing his bp jersey in the 1979 All-Star Game, I believe I have read that he had to do that because the Phillies' shipment containing his regular uniform did not make it to Seattle in time for the game. Moreover, I believe that one or more of the other Phillies all-stars had the same problem.

LastingsMilledge85
05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
I believe somewhere online you can find a whole story regarding the uniform malfunctions for the all-star games. I remember one (I forget the player) but he dent have his jersey so he bought a retail jersey and wrote his name and number with marker on the jersey.

Jayworld
05-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Interesting topic. In 1975, for at least one game at home in Arlington, the Rangers wore their powder blue "TEXAS" jerseys with their white home pants. Pictures of this exist in the 1976 Texas Rangers yearbook. It may have been during a double-header against Oakland, as the A's were notorious for changing jerseys for double-headers in the 1970s (yellow to green or vise-versa). The opponent for this instance is the A's. I know of no other time that the Rangers have done this; wearing the road top at home.

Of course, this does not take into account the alternate color tops the Rangers introduced in 1984 worn at home or on the road (red tops and royal blue tops).

LastingsMilledge85
05-14-2010, 03:16 PM
That just reminded me, as of now the Phillies will be wearing gray at home when they play the Blue Jays this year.

Mattapan03
05-14-2010, 04:06 PM
That just reminded me, as of now the Phillies will be wearing gray at home when they play the Blue Jays this year.

Well they have to....since its technically a Blue Jays home game

LastingsMilledge85
05-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Yes it is and you can bet that the Blue Jays are thrilled that the game is in Philly over Toronto becuase that means more $!